My cat looks too skinny !

Seunie9

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone
My cat (male) is 4 yrs old , he got neutered abt three months ago but he looks too skinny to me and he is always hungry , I really didn't notice when this began bcz my other cats where sick
He was kinda depressed cz there were many cats in the house and I think he doesn't really like to eat while they are around
So idk if this maybe bcz of depression or bcz he got neutered
I will check my vet but rn I am having so much trouble and I am sick too !

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Seunie9

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Here is how he looks rn

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
Here is it
From that photo the cat looks a decent weight. Do you know his weight?
I've never known a cat to become depressed after a neuter. Has he been checked for worms?

I know you will receive more thorough responses from some amazing people on here. Just wanted to acknowledge your post.

Hope you feel better soon!

Seunie9

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
From that photo the cat looks a decent weight. Do you know his weight?
I've never known a cat to become depressed after a neuter. Has he been checked for worms?

I know you will receive more thorough responses from some amazing people on here. Just wanted to acknowledge your post.

Hope you feel better soon!
He is skinnier than before and I just read abt hyperthyroidism and I am really anxious , and he had worms 5 month ago and was dewormed but 2 weeks ago there was worms again so he got dewormed again

jonb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I agree, he looks to skinny. Would start with a fecal test for parasites + feed him plenty of a high protein -high fat food (not all at once but over days switch). Diamond naturals is 40% protein,20% fat, the best deal around here. I mix some water in with it to add moisture. If their not used to it,usually have to gradually work them up to like 40% water little more or less with 60% kibbles depending on the cats habits and preferences. He may best see the vet soon if not improving soon. Also pay attention to his teeth and jaws, might hurt him to eat and soft food may be the way to go.

Seunie9

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I agree, he looks to skinny. Would start with a fecal test for parasites + feed him plenty of a high protein -high fat food (not all at once but over days switch). Diamond naturals is 40% protein,20% fat, the best deal around here. I mix some water in with it to add moisture. If their not used to it,usually have to gradually work them up to like 40% water little more or less with 60% kibbles depending on the cats habits and preferences. He may best see the vet soon if not improving soon. Also pay attention to his teeth and jaws, might hurt him to eat and soft food may be the way to go.
Yes he has worms , there were even worms in stool but he was dewormed few months ago but he got it back again and he was dewormed 2 weeks ago , idk if it will take time to gain weight again after deworming

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If he's always hungry and showing "hangry behavior" (constantly screaming for food, digging through trash cans and counter surfing to look for any food to eat, etc), he may not be getting enough food to eat. Can you feed the cat separately from the other cats so he is getting enough food to eat? Put the cat in a room with the door closed for meal times. You may need to feed a little bit more food than usual to satisfy the cat's tummy.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Just to weigh in, he does look thin to me despite his long fur. I would follow up on the suggestions and if the weight remains low, go to the vet. There can be systemic issues at play which could be managed without a great expense to you.

Seunie9

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If he's always hungry and showing "hangry behavior" (constantly screaming for food, digging through trash cans and counter surfing to look for any food to eat, etc), he may not be getting enough food to eat. Can you feed the cat separately from the other cats so he is getting enough food to eat? Put the cat in a room with the door closed for meal times. You may need to feed a little bit more food than usual to satisfy the cat's tummy.
Yes he is always hungry and he goes away when he see the other cats trying to eat with him , I am trying to keep him away but he is also anxious when he is eating alone

Seunie9

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just to weigh in, he does look thin to me despite his long fur. I would follow up on the suggestions and if the weight remains low, go to the vet. There can be systemic issues at play which could be managed without a great expense to you.
Yes I can feel his rib cage and his pelvis , without fur he would be really skinny but now I am trying to watch his diet and be more careful and give him more food and I also called the vet and he said maybe the worm wasn't treated the right way , and I hope I can visit my vet soon and wish it's not really hyperthyroidism cz I am really scared

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I agree that he is very thin, not through your own fault. You can ask the vet about hyperthyroidism, although there is certainly no use worrying about it if you don't know for sure. It is a very easy and inexpensive condition to treat and if it were to be that you can get a lot of help here.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes he is always hungry and he goes away when he see the other cats trying to eat with him , I am trying to keep him away but he is also anxious when he is eating alone

Can you sit in the room while your cat eats so he's not so anxious?

A trip to the vet is a good idea to rule out any underlying health issue. Hyperthyroid isn't the only health issue that can cause weight loss. Make sure the vet does a full blood panel.

Seunie9

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Can you sit in the room while your cat eats so he's not so anxious?

A trip to the vet is a good idea to rule out any underlying health issue. Hyperthyroid isn't the only health issue that can cause weight loss. Make sure the vet does a full blood panel.
Yes I will make sure he eat his meals alone from now and if he didn't really get any better I will visit the vet

Seunie9

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I agree that he is very thin, not through your own fault. You can ask the vet about hyperthyroidism, although there is certainly no use worrying about it if you don't know for sure. It is a very easy and inexpensive condition to treat and if it were to be that you can get a lot of help here.
I hope it's not really hyperthyroidism cz where I live vets are not really experienced with advanced treatment and this really scares me , but as I am observing him while eating I also feel he takes more time to eat his dry food and I will try to change to wet food maybe he can't masticate it well

bear

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Mention to his Vet that there are other cats in the household. The Vet may feel all need to be all treated for worms at the same tine. Otherwise they are spreading them back and forth.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes I will make sure he eat his meals alone from now and if he didn't really get any better I will visit the vet
I've been following this thread. I also have a skinny girl that I have to sit with to make sure she gets all I feed her. The other two will just push her away and eat her meals. Plus, she's easily distracted when eating and will just wander off if there's some other stimulus.
It takes additional time, but it was the only way to ensure she got fed.

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope it's not really hyperthyroidism cz where I live vets are not really experienced with advanced treatment and this really scares me , but as I am observing him while eating I also feel he takes more time to eat his dry food and I will try to change to wet food maybe he can't masticate it well
Based on the other things such as worms and possibly not getting enough to eat, I would start there and get those issues dealt with in addition to a thyroid test.