My cat likes to play with his poop, it is driving me crazy.

macyaji

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat is currently 10 month old and he first started to scoop his own poop out of litter box and play with it at 5 month old. I was horrified at first but then I realize he is probably young and going through a "litter box" playing stage. So I tried to remedy this issue by cleaning his litter box 3 times a day(First thing in the morning, after dinner and before bed). I purchased lots of toys for him to play with and got his a cat tower. At first, this seems to be working(at least it worked for 2 month). Then I started to scoop his own poop out of litter box and play with it at least once a week, he knows I do not like him playing with his own poop so now he even hide his poops behind the litter box, so he can play with it at whenever I am not around. I love my cat to death but this is driving me crazy to have constantly cleaning after him and finding solid poop outside of the litter box.

Moonlight_wolf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I’m sorry that sounds really frustrating to deal with. But at the same time it helps me appreciate how ridiculously silly cats can be XD.

Have you considered one of those electric litter boxes that cleans the litter after every time he uses it? That way he wouldn’t be able to play with his poop unless he’s playing with it immediately after he does it.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have one that plays with turdlets too. She's about 2 1/2 years old and has done it since she was a kitten. I never seem to be able to catch her in the act of doing it, so I guess she gets bored at night. Fortunately, she picks a small dry one and only plays around the litter box in the spare room upstairs. I've just lived with it.

BellaGooch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe it’s the type of box you’re using? Maybe he’d be less inclined if he had a litter box with a lid if you don’t have one already. Not sure, just a thought.