my cat likes to eat raw spinach

jesses mummy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is it ok for my cat to eat spinach. She has to eat 2 leafs then is ssatisfied. Are some greens ok. As I also have another cat who likes salad leafs too. But jess begs me for these leafs when I get them from the fridge. :-)

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Per www.ibdkitties.net:
Spinach does not belong in pet food! Spinach has one of the highest calcium oxalate levels of any food.
Cooking does NOT diminish the oxalates much at all, very minimally. The oxalates in spinach are very sturdy,
binding and are around 600-750 content milligrams per 100 gram serving. You’d have to boil or blanch it to
reduce it even 5-15% and then you’ve lost all the nutrients in it. Because spinach is now being added in a lot of
pet food brands, you may want to make sure to feed other foods and rotate that food so it's not fed everyday. Or
if your cat suffers from kidney, gallbladder or thyroid issues, you should forgo feeding it to them altogether! They
should not be eating any foods with those levels as it can do severe damage. Spinach can cause crystal
formation in the urinary tract and kidneys in cats. Calcium oxalate stones are EXTREMELY painful and once
formed in the kidneys, cannot be removed. Whether cooked or raw, spinach should be completely avoided in
cats and has been shown to cause such major damage it can result in hospitalization and in some
circumstances, death. I personally know someone who's cat died from being fed raw spinach. I recommend
writing to the pet food companies that do include spinach and request that they remove it completely from their
products. NEVER feed raw spinach to your pet, whether they are ill or healthy!
www.ibdkitties.net/January2012.html

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jesses mummy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thankyou for the advice I have stopped giving it to her. I dont want her to be ill. I will give her playtime to take her mind off the leafs.. it's only because I keep 2 tortoises and jess has to follow me everywhere even when I feed my torties. So I think she may have got into a habit. If they can eat it so can I. Lols. I will just throw her a toy whilst im feeding them. Thsnks :-)))))