My cat likes to chew on plastic/eat tape

phoebe bird

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! This is a great group. Thanks for being here.

My Maya has developed a habit that I have been unable to break her from, and it appears to be getting worse: She likes to chew on plastic bags. Also, she LOVES the opportunity to get at the strips of tape that are used for sealing shipping boxes. She eats it. I have found remnants in her stool. No matter how much I admonish her (I use the word "no"--that's it--no squirt bottles or corporal punishment), she will not stop. In fact, she doesn't think there's a thing wrong with her little addiction. I'm concerned for her health.

Any of you have any experience with this? Is she lacking something in her diet? Is it boredom? How do I get her to stop?

Thanks!

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
My Lucy will eat tape. I found this out when she pulled the Sticky Paws off the couch. The only method to keep her from eating it is to keep it away from her.

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You might try bitter apple spray. You can get that at pet stores. It makes the stuff they chew on taste gross, hopefully discouraging the behavior.

She's not necessarily lacking anything in her diet, but she could be hungry...if she doesn't like her food or would like to get more. My Pumpkin chews on things, but I finally figured out that it had something to do with her appetite. If she's not overweight, you might try something new for her to eat or some treats on occasion...or just slightly bigger portions.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

phoebe bird

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for your quick responses! I do try to keep tape away, although I moved recently and am still unpacking boxes that were sealed with packing tape. I do not use plastic liner for any of my wastebaskets except the kitchen one--and it has a lid on it. So I do my best.

The hungry angle I have not considered. I'll have to observe more closely, but it seems that she engages in plastic chewing behavior most often in the morning when I'm getting ready for work and before they (I have two kitties) are fed their canned food in the evening. Maybe it's true that she doesn't care for the dry. It's Iams weight and hairball control formula. Maya is not overweight (although she's getting that middle-aged poochy thing), but my Riley is, according to the vet, hence the weight-control formula. They eat the dry out of the same bowl and get about 1 3/4 cups a day between the two of them. I feed them canned in separate dishes and 90% of the time stand between them to make sure Riley doesn't steal hers when he's finished his. (He is a bit of a greedy brat.)

I don't know that I could put Maya on a different food without dear Riley horning in. Maybe treats are the answer. Any suggestions? I buy Pounce every now and then. I also feed Maya bits of leftover chicken or steak occasionally. She LOVES it and I have not observed it affect her digestion.

Thanks again for your help!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Charlie likes tape - I've found that a little Bitter Apple spray on the outside of the tape roll is the only thing that stops him!

sofiecusion

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Summer had to have surgery to remove tape from her intestine! It didn't show up on the xray. I no longer keep posters up with tape.

She also like chewing on Walmart bags and the like. I used a can filled with coins and shook it when I saw her. She has since stopped.

sissy's mommy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for the 411 on this topic. My cat likes to eat tape as well, and we have tried the "no" and water bottle tactic to no avail. So I was really excited to find this topic in the forum. I will be sure to try the ideas you all have suggested!

Thanks again!!

mindy brink

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat eats tape and plastic bags when she doesn't get the attention she wants or the treats she wants. When I pay more attention to her than life that day she tends to stop. Also I found mixing soft food with hard food helps too. She first started doing it because she can't chew hard food well any more. Now it developed into attention getter. She also has a fascination with finding any paper on the floor and sitting on it when she isn't cuddling with me.

shamblesandcleo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One of my cats is addicted to tape and plastic bags as well...and now apparently lint brushes..she doesn't go for the lint but she likes the plastic part once you rip it off. 

dejolane

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have used tape and foil to stop Bella from scratching on my sons boxes that he left here and it worked. But I have never heard for the cat eating tape. Good luck.

Debra Louise

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! This is a great group. Thanks for being here.

My Maya has developed a habit that I have been unable to break her from, and it appears to be getting worse: She likes to chew on plastic bags. Also, she LOVES the opportunity to get at the strips of tape that are used for sealing shipping boxes. She eats it. I have found remnants in her stool. No matter how much I admonish her (I use the word "no"--that's it--no squirt bottles or corporal punishment), she will not stop. In fact, she doesn't think there's a thing wrong with her little addiction. I'm concerned for her health.

Any of you have any experience with this? Is she lacking something in her diet? Is it boredom? How do I get her to stop?

Thanks!

Debra Louise

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She's eaten tape and band-since I got her at 9 weeks. She is healthy. Most of her behavior has calmed down, and many things bore her now, 6 mos. later, but when it is in front of her...! I am not optimistic as I think she really loves the taste, and it worries me as something clear might indeed not show up on the xray!

asi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
my cat also loves to eat tape. drives me bonkers. I looked it up today because I was chasing him all morning as he went after papers/bags with tape on them, and the tape on his new litter, (tape on boxes gets ripped off immediately by me). I try to keep it all away, but I have noticed he seems to try to eat it when he has a hairball and needs to puke it up. that's how I know he eats it- I find it in vomit, usually with a hairball. if anyone knows how to help a cat who knows he has a hairball but can't get it out, (yes, he's on hairball control food, and I brush him as much as he'll let me), I would appreciate some advice. also, I don't remember if I brought up the tape itself, but when I brought him to the vet because he lost a tooth, (and found out he has bad teeth), and mentioned that he kinda bites, (gently, more like nibbling usually), the vet said he probably did so because his teeth hurt. so, either try to take a look in your cat's mouth, or ask for a dental check-up at the vet.
hope that helps someone, and maybe someone can help with the hairball thing, lol.