My cat likes to bite me while I pet it

ap4lmtree

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
About 20-30% of the time during petting my cat, my cat likes to bite my hand. Then, she likes to grab and play with my hand as if it is a stuffed animal that she caught. She is semi-feral when i first adopted her from a shelter; however, she is pretty tame now otherwise.

So, in sum, my cat thinks she is being playful and my hand is a toy, so she bites and captures it.

It would likely take long periods of time to train her not to bite my hand.

Currently, i mostly just ignore it and as if it doesn't bother me or as if it isn't a big deal. In that sense, i don't get mad nor change my behavior. Rather, she bites and plays with my hand; then, i continue my petting of her after that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ap4lmtree

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Usually, the biting isn't too painful to bother me. However, sometimes, I tell her no and retract my hand.

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You have to stop the petting the second she bits you. If you are carrying her tell her No! and put her down, and walk away. Cats are incredibly intelligent and will realize you wont pet them if they are biting. Make sure you are gently petting her. If you pet them too much friction can occur on their fur and they bite.

ap4lmtree

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One thing, is I am not sure if this is necessary a bad behavior if I don't mind that much.

How else do cats play or interact with their owner if not this as a possible way.

ap4lmtree

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I watched your video right now. When she bites me, instead of like the video, it isn't her trying to attack me or run away and attack me. It is more of her thinking she is playing, such as with a stuffed animal -- but my hand is that stuffed animal.

hexiesfriend

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some cats will do that if you pet below the shoulder blades. Also your cat has come to see your hands as toys. Get some fishing pole type toys to play and redirect the behavior. Also if you let your hand go dead still the cat will stop playing with it. It’s counter intuitive but try it.

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One thing, is I am not sure if this is necessary a bad behavior if I don't mind that much.

How else do cats play or interact with their owner if not this as a possible way.
I know what you mean by biting, it can start off playful and then they get rough.

personally i never encourage that kind of behavior. if you have/plan to have kids, you dont want them thinking biting is acceptable. A childs skin is very fragile.

Just my two cents.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Some cats will do that if you pet below the shoulder blades. Also your cat has come to see your hands as toys. Get some fishing pole type toys to play and redirect the behavior. Also if you let your hand go dead still the cat will stop playing with it. It’s counter intuitive but try it.
About 20-30% of the time during petting my cat, my cat likes to bite my hand. Then, she likes to grab and play with my hand as if it is a stuffed animal that she caught. She is semi-feral when i first adopted her from a shelter; however, she is pretty tame now otherwise.

So, in sum, my cat thinks she is being playful and my hand is a toy, so she bites and captures it.

It would likely take long periods of time to train her not to bite my hand.

Currently, i mostly just ignore it and as if it doesn't bother me or as if it isn't a big deal. In that sense, i don't get mad nor change my behavior. Rather, she bites and plays with my hand; then, i continue my petting of her after that.
My car Peaches is exactly like that. Best thing to do is not have your hand available. Pat feon behind so she doesn't see your hand. Peaches lives to be patted right by her tail

hexiesfriend

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At some point you will get tired of having to explain the scratches on you hands. Also it may become an issue with guests. Also it is healthier to encourage play will pray type toys rather than your hands.