My Cat Likes Parties? But Hates My Other Cat.

cessena

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Almost exactly two years ago my partner and I adopted Vega from a local rescue. We were hoping she would be a companion for our senior kitty who is very active, and who lost her doggy and kitty friend a few months before.

That has not worked out.

What has happened is that the cats generally have separate territory in the house. We try to encourage them to be comfortable around each other with positive experiences but re introductions are slow and never seem to progress.

I think there is something about Vega that we're missing and I'm hoping someone has some insights about it. She seems to like parties, strangers, interesting events more than any other cat I've ever had. I realized this yesterday.

For the past few weeks we've been feeding her wet food in the evenings downstairs, and putting the older kitty behind gates to keep them separate during dinner. As of two weeks ago she would come down and explore. For the last week she has REFUSED to come downstairs despite all of our coaxing.

Then, last night we had some friends over for the fourth of July. She came right downstairs and stayed downstairs most of the night. She and the older cat did a few territory dances but generally left each other alone. They were both happily napping within sight of each other while we played board games.

I've noticed this pattern before but this was super extreme and it made me wonder if we're doing the wrong thing by trying to keep the house fairly quiet and settled for her.

I know she spent several months of her kitten hood as an "Office Cat" at the Vet that we rescued her from. But she hates loud noises? Except fireworks are fine?

We've been wanting to get another dog but didn't want to do it until the cats were more friendly, but now I'm wondering if having a dog around wouldn't be more interesting for her. It's sadly impractical for us to entertain every weekend.

Does anyone else have a kitty like this or any insights into how to make her happier/engaged etc? (She's also doing some anxious overgrooming and I'd like to help with that too)

madzoya

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm no expert, but from what you say, she seems to me more confortable when there is a bigger bustle around the house. Maybe she is shy and feels she will blend more in the confusion (I know it seems a bit contraditory, but cats are never really straight forward, are they?). When Bruce arrived here, he was really shy with us, and annoyingly friendly with strangers. I think it was just a less tenser atmosfere when we received guests.

Understandably you cannot entertain every weekend, but maybe you can be more "noisy"? Music, or the tv on sometimes simulates a more busy environment.

Also, you don't mention the cats being hostile with each other. So maybe they are ok splitting the territory as they are? Not all cats bond and become friends. Some just simply tolerate each other.

Hopefully this will bump up, and you'll have a few more opinions, of more experienced cat owners.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cessena

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
There are typically hostilities whenever they get too close to one another. This weekend was the first time in a long time that they've not been separated by a barrier for a period of time and actually relaxed.

But generally we don't leave them alone together un supervised because they will fight. As it was there was some initial hissing earlier in the evening and then they both settled down. I don't really expect them to bond, but I would like them to share territory a little more. Right now we have an upstairs cat and a downstairs cat. :/

We do usually have TV and music going, but we could probably do more.

I think you might be right about her being shy. I wonder if we actually pay too much attention to her when there is no one else around. She's super adorable so we're just like AWW KITTYYYY.

View media item 419432

madzoya

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She is indeed beautiful! Those eyes!

We too are too blame of overwellming Bruce. He's adored. Sometimes he goes to sleep under the bed, so he can have some privacy. :biggrin:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cessena

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
awww we love too much. Vega sleeps under the bed constantly actually, I rarely see her sleeping out. Must.... ignore... adorable....creature.....

sparrowhawk

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Maybe the bustle gives them something to focus on besides each other? It's like kids at school. Even kids that hate each other will tolerate the other's presence if they are on a field trip or class party. But leaving them alone with nothing to do guarantees a fight. Maybe if they are given enough time to coexist while mutually paying attention to something else they'll eventually always tolerate each other - but no guarantees.