My Cat Lani...+1 more?

lanismommy99

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone! My name is Abby and I am the mama to an adorable longhair tuxedo girl named Lani (short for Kehlani). My partner and I adopted her in March 2021 when she was 7 years old and we just recently celebrated her 8th birthday on November 19th! She is a sweet sweet girl and we absolutely adore her.

My partner and I have recently began to discuss possibly adopting another cat to be a companion for our Lani. The thing is, I’m not exactly sure if she would even get along with another cat.

We adopted her from a family that had another cat who was not very nice to Lani, hence why she was rehomed to us. She is very friendly and loves to meet new people but she’s also a bit of a spoiled princess.. she does play and snuggle, but only on her own terms.

I don’t want to selfishly adopt another kitty and make my resident cat miserable or uncomfortable in our home. Any advice on how to make a decision? Is there a way to tell if she would be good with another cat/kitten?

Thanks for your input in advance!

Lazy Orange House Cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Don't adopt a cat for Lani. She sounds content the way she is. Adopt another cat because you really want another cat. When you are looking for a second cat, make sure the rescue knows that you need a cat who is really great with other cats. Who doesn't pick fights or cop an attitude. A cat who can play by themselves or with you and doesn't really need that cat to cat interaction. Introduce them properly and slowly, and make sure Lani knows she's still number one. There will be hissing, spitting, etc...As long as everyone is eating, drinking, and using the litterboxes (yes, litterboxes) in peace, let them work it out. They may ignore each other. They may slowly become friends.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
Or you can also try fostering first, and see how it goes from there. Maybe the one you'd foster is also a perfect match for Lani and become a foster fail. :)

BTW, welcome to you and your cat! Great that you have joined the site!:heartshape:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Welcome to you and Lani! IF you decide that you want another cat, be sure to look for one with similar energy levels, and she will almost certainly get along better with a neutered male than with another female. Even after spaying, females are more territorial than males are, especially towards other females. The instinct to carve out and protect a territory for future kittens still remains.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
A1565852-8B9E-4215-B5D2-139833E02D3D$L0$001~photo.gif
lanismommy99 and Lani, on behalf of The Catsite community, a warm
83b628873c7a2419b34230feadd8daf9.jpg
to both of you.

So glad that you’ve joined this wonderful site and you are in the right place for all things cat and this site is loaded with tons of rich resources and you’ll find friendly and helpful cats around and many of our cats are very knowledgeable in cat related stuffs.

Do post photos of Lani for us to see! :camera: :camera: :camera:

New Here? I Have A Few Suggestions For You!
How To Add A Picture To Your Forum Post
Community Guidelines & Practices - Frequently Asked Questions
Forum Rules

Feel free to ask questions if you have any and start a new thread of your own and post them under the appropriate forums and do check out the many informative articles we have here in Articles | The Cat Site

Enjoy your stay and see ya around :wink:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lanismommy99

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks so much for all your help guys!! I’ll update soon, I have an appointment at the local shelter this week! :)