My cat keeps wanting to go outside

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Eca

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, thank you very much for all of your replies. I just want to update that right now I'm down with a particularly bad cold. Almost two weeks of sleep deprivation finally took its toll on me. I'm unable to take care of Mikan right now, so my family and I decided to crate him when he's acting up at night. We provide ample of space, litter box, food, water, and toys inside the crate. Thankfully once he's inside, he somewhat calmed down and went to sleep. After I'm done recovering, I'll start to leash train him. Once again, thank you everyone!

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
right now, so my family and I decided to crate him when he's acting up at night.
Take care of yourself and I hope you feel better soon.

If crating overnight is calming him it's not a bad thing. He can't see the "intuders" and doesn't feel the need to chase them off. Just make sure he gets enough play/exercise during the day.

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope you are feeling better soon.

Regarding crating your cat.....I had to do the same to one of our cats years ago. She would yowl all night. She soon learnt that every night she was put in her large crate. One night I picked up up to put her in the crage and she let out such a pitiful cry, I couldnt crate her. From that day on she stopped yowling at night and we never had to crate her again.

Regarding walking your cat on a leash; we walk our two cats occassionally. It helps stimulate their minds, and I think it makes their lives richer. As you have many stray cats, I would make certain your cat is harnessed. You should get a harness that goes over the head and around the front legs and body.

Walking a cat is different than walking a dog. It is not a walk with a destination. Instead it is an experience. A roll in the dirt, sniffing things along the way, chewing some grass, feeling the wind, a scent in the air, just flopping down and watching the world go by is perfectly acceptable to a cat.

If your cat knows it will be able to go outside, it may be less desperate to do so.

Never allow your cat to try and pull backwards out of the harness. They are escape artists and can be gone in seconds. This means you cant pull forward on the lead and must always be slightly behind it.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Eca Eca That's wonderful to hear he's calming down. He might really need that calming space to relax and push him to chill.

When Magnus was little he really needed that for eating: no distractions, nothing to get him all hyper again. We had a separate room that worked well for that. Sounds like your crate is doing well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Eca

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, everyone. A little update: I'm feeling slightly better now and I'm currently getting Mikan to get used to wearing his harness inside the house. He's still rebelling by laying down, rubbing the harness against the table legs, and even successfully escaped from the harness a couple of times. He's a pretty slinky cat, so finding a harness that'll fit him perfectly would probably be difficult and I'm thinking of sewing it myself when I'm fully recovered. I'm armed with loads of kitty snacks to bribe him, too. Wish me luck!

mxphs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He yowls and claws at the door until I'm physically there to accompany him in the bathroom. I've been here with him for the last hour waiting for him to pass out so I can have lunch and catch some much needed sleep. I just want to cry really 😭.

I realize that his behavior will took a lot of time and effort to fix, but looking at how sleep deprived I am right now and how my Dad's illness is acting up, I really don't think I can handle this situation for much longer.
Hey Eca

I just want to let you know I know exacty what you're going through. When i first bought Humphrey home, he was crying non stop all night and was also jumping on the door and non stop yowling.
I didn't sleep or eat for 3 days and i even cried at work form exhaustion. Just want to send out my best wishes to you and I really hope you'll be able to get some rest soon

:hearthrob:

platty

Hobbyist Bengal Cat Breeder
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've posted on the other thread but here is a photo of my cat outside using a catio space and a cat wheel, the wheel might keep em busy.

IMG_20221108_094413.jpg