My Cat Keeps Throwing Up, And Now A Worm!

jesscarlett

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello everybody! I really need help!!! I have been having issues with one of my cats again, a gorgeous tortie. Ever since I rescued her I have been constantly in and out of vets for various reasons. Now everything has been normal for a long while, except she now started throwing up again. She threw up around 3 weeks ago, in 2 different ocassions. One of the times it looked like bilis (yellow and foamy liquid). Prior to this type of vomit she had thrown up another time what looked like undigested food and the color was like a brown one. I didn't took her to the vet because she had stopped after throwing up the yellow liquid. Everything else was normal. Being active, playing, eating and using the litter box.

Fast forward 3 weeks and yesterday around 2 am she threw up again. It looked brown again. This morning she threw up again only this time I saw a WORM in one of the vomit spots!!! We just went through hurricane Irma so there is no electricity, no water and no vets are working. I will have to wait until next week or when they can fix these issues and people go back to working again. Please, I need advice until then. Is this life threatening? May this be the reason why she has been throwing up this constant? Thank you in advance. I will insert pictures from last night and today's vomit.

http://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q420/Jesscarlett/20170906_235316_zps97rhnvoq.jpg

http://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q420/Jesscarlett/20170907_111456_zps3jguefxj.jpg

20170907_111456.jpg

20170906_235316.jpg

mokapi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Roundworm D: Could definitely be the reason why she's been constantly vomiting. It can be life threatening if the cat is very young and is heavily infested, or if the vomiting/diarrhea continues to a point that she is becoming dehydrated.

You're in a serious bind with the hurricane issues (glad to hear you're safe).

I would save the worm if you can (freeze it) so that a vet can give definitive ID, and then would take her in as soon as you can for treatment. Roundworm treatment is usually a pill, like Drontal or Panacur.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jesscarlett

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I cleaned it up and disposed of it! :( I don't want my cat to die! I'm so upset by the timing of this situation.

mokapi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I cleaned it up and disposed of it! :( I don't want my cat to die! I'm so upset by the timing of this situation.
I didn't mean to make you think your cat is dying!! Roundworms can't kill a cat unless they're causing severe malnutrition or dehydration, which you would be able to recognize outside of this. If she can eat, drink, use the litter box, etc. she will be okay until you can get her into a vet.

jesscarlett

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I didn't mean to make you think your cat is dying!! Roundworms can't kill a cat unless they're causing severe malnutrition or dehydration, which you would be able to recognize outside of this. If she can eat, drink, use the litter box, etc. she will be okay until you can get her into a vet.
Oh but I asked on facebook too and one person said one of her kittens died because of it because she choked on the vomit. Something like that. Asphyxia. :( Sometimes she doesn't end up vomiting but she does the gagging.

mokapi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh but I asked on facebook too and one person said one of her kittens died because of it because she choked on the vomit. Something like that. Asphyxia. :( Sometimes she doesn't end up vomiting but she does the gagging.
Ah-- kittens are a different story. This isn't an "always" sort of thing, but sometimes kittens with severe infestations are vomiting almost constantly...and if you think about the last time you were very sick, throwing up repeatedly is exhausting and sometimes you can choke.

I also don't mean to imply that this isn't something you shouldn't be concerned about. Definitely get kitty to the vet ASAP and keep a watchful eye. Sorry! I'm trying to walk a fine line between "your kitty should make it until next week" and "but definitely take her in ASAP!".

jesscarlett

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you! I am trying to contact people to see if they can give me pyrantell. That's what people have been telling me to give her. I have called all the vets but none are open and neither are the pet stores. If someone happens to have pyrantell, can I give it to her? They said based on her weight.

mokapi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you! I am trying to contact people to see if they can give me pyrantell. That's what people have been telling me to give her. I have called all the vets but none are open and neither are the pet stores. If someone happens to have pyrantell, can I give it to her? They said based on her weight.
Yes, you just need to know her weight to properly dose her. Pyrantel is the generic form of Strongid, I think.

You might want to try and call a rescue. I'm sure they're up to their ears in stress from the impending hurricane, but they may be able to get you some meds faster. Many rescues around here keep that stuff on hand.