My Cat keeps scratching the new sofa

Cat_lover45

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hey cat owners ! i’ve had my cats for almost 10 years and they scratched the hell out of our old sofa’s,. we let that slide EVEN WITH SCRATCHING POSTS AVAILABLE and the state of the sofas were unexplainable !! however, after purchasing new sofas and also buying ANTI scratch spray, one cat is still scratching the sofas and it’s getting really annoying as we spent £3,000 on them. can anyone help ? i don’t want to shut the door on the cats since they love sleeping on the sofas however it’s getting really annoying and disheartening.

lollie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You have to protect the sofas, but you also have to give them an alternative. You said scratching posts. Do they have any cardboard scratchers? My cat rarely uses sisal posts, however she LOVES cardboard scratchers. Make sure and give them a choice- horizontal and vertical. Put the vertical ones against something stable, like furniture or a wall. They’re not just removing the nail husk, they’re working their back muscles, which is why the sofa side is so attractive.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Also, since your cats are attracted to vertical scratching, make sure that all scratchers are vertical, and tall enough to stretch them out.

I'd also suggest double-sided sticky tape applied to the areas of the sofa that get their attention. They HATE the feel of it on their paws, and it generally only takes a week or so until they give up and the tape can be removed, provided they have those scratchers in place! My own girl prefers cardboard, so give that a shot!