My cat keeps pooping outside of his litter box but urinating in it

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrpepper

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How did it look? So it wasn't normal sized?
It was about the size of a hersey kiss. I did notice his butt has some stuff partially out so it makes me think any minute now he will get it all out and that was just the beginning.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yeah I think thats basically what she meant. That his will is to avoid the pain.

He did just poop literally one stool but it was just outside the box. I placed it in his box to make sure he knows thats where it goes. I suppose just outside the box is better than nothing. Progress is kind of being made.
One stool means things are moving, which is good. I would place it in the box as well. It seems like cats that go just outside the box means they know where to go but something is holding them back. How big is his box?

mrpepper

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Pepper finally went poop in his litter box last night and the stools were long. I ended up placing blankets on the floor right next to his box and kept the saran wrap on the couch to keep him off. I'm still a little worried that if I put a blankets back on the couch he will just poop on that again but at least for now he did do his business.

I will continue to monitor him and slowly introduce the blankets back onto the couch the next few days to see what he will do.

mrpepper

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So in a weird turn of events the vet that saw Pepper the first time called and said that the x rays she saw from his second visit showed he was still constipated. She wants me to bring him in for more tests and shes worried he hasn't gone poop since saturday night/sunday morning.

I don't know who/what to believe since the other vet said he wasn't constipated anymore. The night I brought him home he did poop in his box but he hasn't since then. I feel like I should wait longer and see if he poops a second time before I bring him to the vet again - especially since he did go in his box.

Do you guys think I need to bring him in again? I really don't want to spend the money nor do I want to put him through more tests. If he was still constipated then why did he go in his box when he came home that night?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
the other vet said he wasn't constipated anymore.
I honestly was concerned when I read this earlier in your thread.

shes worried he hasn't gone poop since saturday night/sunday morning.
If she's concerned enough that she called you about it, I wonder if she's trying to avoid a possible situation where this turns into megacolon?
why did he go in his box when he came home that night?
Could you ask her about this? Maybe because there wasn't any other fecal obstruction built up yet? I don't know if veterinarians know why a cat ends up getting impacted (if that's the right word).

mrpepper

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Could you ask her about this? Maybe because there wasn't any other fecal obstruction built up yet? I don't know if veterinarians know why a cat ends up getting impacted (if that's the right word).
She said she would not speak to me over the phone anymore - I can only talk to her if I make an appointment.

I called a different vet and she said if hes not straining in the box or in pain that she would wait a little longer before taking him but that is was ultimately up to me

mrpepper

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If she's concerned enough that she called you about it, I wonder if she's trying to avoid a possible situation where this turns into megacolon?
She called me because I tried to get ahold of her last week to ask questions but she was out of the office until Tuesday (today) due to the holidays. Wasn't necessarily about the x ray but while I had her on the phone she mentioned it.

mrpepper

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I scheduled an appointment for Thursday with them just in case he still hasn't pooped at that point but it would be with a different doctor - so I'm not sure if thats going to do anything as he will certainly have a different opinion. I kind of feel like I opened pandoras box and I'm damned if I do damned if I don't.

mrpepper

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's so hard sometimes. If they could talk and tell us what they're feeling or what's going on :vibes::grouphug2:
I was thinking about switching from the lactulose to mirilax, do you think that would be a good thing to try at this point to see if that will make him go more often?

He doesn't like the taste of the lactulose at all and spits most of it out.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I was thinking about switching from the lactulose to mirilax, do you think that would be a good thing to try at this point to see if that will make him go more often?
I would try the Miralax, as far as I know it really doesn't have a 'taste'. To start with mix 1/8 tsp with a bit of water, then add to his food. You can try increasing it to 1/8 tsp twice a day if you don't see results. Then, you can go up to 1/4 tsp a day, or even twice a day if needed. But, be a little patient to see some results before repeatedly increasing the amount.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If he's spitting the lactulose out, he's probably not getting enough of it. In that case, I'd do as FeebysOwner FeebysOwner suggested. I have never had a cat, even the pickiest, be able to tell there was miralax in their food so administering it is 100% trouble free.

mrpepper

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would try the Miralax, as far as I know it really doesn't have a 'taste'. To start with mix 1/8 tsp with a bit of water, then add to his food. You can try increasing it to 1/8 tsp twice a day if you don't see results. Then, you can go up to 1/4 tsp a day, or even twice a day if needed. But, be a little patient to see some results before repeatedly increasing the amount.
Thanks. I was trying to call my vet to make sure it was ok but she won't talk to me without an appointment. I thought maybe I'll just try it anyway.

mrpepper

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just bought the miralax and put 1/8 tsp in water and mixed it until it dissolved. I then put that on some tuna in a bowl - he ate most of the meat and all of the liquid.

That was much easier to give him than the lactulose so I'm hoping after a day or two we will see him poop in his box again. I still have a vet appointment tomorrow at 4 which I am reluctant to do since I want to give the miralax time to do its work.