my cat keeps hissing at my dogs

BellaGooch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If this is any comfort, my cat used to be very scared of my dog (a lab), and now they are best friends and do everything together. My other two cats are also acclimated to him despite hissing nonstop at first. It will for sure take time and patience, but it definitely can be done!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maibelynn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ooo okay!! yea i try to calm my pitbull down but sometimes he doesn’t , he tried chasing her one day and he knocked me down and my knee is all bruised up! they haven’t seen eachother today but she’s seen the other little dog and they’re fine with eachother she just hisses at her

BellaGooch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Understandable. Just make sure it’s safe for your cat :) sorry you got injured!
Glad her and your other dog are getting along.

maibelynn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
that really helped a lot tho! i was so scared they would never be okay with eachother :( how’d you stop the hissing?

BellaGooch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Of course!
It was very gradual. It helped that the dog is very sweet and tolerant. There was a lot of sniffing, a lot of hissing, but we eventually got there.
Yours might not become best friends, but the goal is to at least have them tolerate each other. Everyone else on this thread gave some great advice worth following, too :)

maibelynn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thank you , how long did it take for yours to get along

BellaGooch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For my youngest, about a month or two. For the other two, about four or five months.

maibelynn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ooo okayy! thank you so much , did you let them see eachother everday?

maibelynn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i just let them see eachother and my pitbull goes kinda crazy :( he whines idk what to do now

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Keep the pit bull on a leash for now when he is in the same room with the kitten. Over a period of a few weeks, he will get used to the kitten. You MUST be the alpha in this relationship, let the dog know in no uncertain terms it is not OK to terrorize or harm the kitten. Some dogs will kill cats no matter what you do, so be very careful.
Hissing is a cat's way of communicating, the kitten's way of saying "I don't feel comfortable, keep your distance". She is biting right now because she is scared. Get a corrugated cardboard flat cat scratcher from Walmart, or any pet section for her to scratch on and leave your furniture alone. Get a kickeroo on Amazon or a pet section it is great for distraction when she gets too intense and wants to bite while playing, just throw it towards her.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Remember all dogs 'read' their owner's emotions and act on them. You must take care to never get angry with your cat. The dogs will pick up on your anger and may act on it.

Create plenty of places for your cat to escape your dogs - under furniture is good, furniture too low for the dogs to get under. later when she's older you'll want to put shelves high up for her.

You said you have three dogs, but you didn't say what the other too are. Jack Russells are notorious for chasing and killing cats and other small animals. You must treat small terriers the same as Di said for the big dog. A small dog is just as dangerous for a cat as a big one.

Do not let your dogs stare at the cat for any length of time. This disturbs cats. Do not let your dogs bare their teeth when looking at the cats. A quick no should work, if not gently tap one of their upper lips.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One more thing. You need to put the litter box where the dogs can't get to it. several reasons
- 1- cats don't like dogs messing with their litter boxes

-2- dogs don't understand privacy and will bother the cat while she's in the box which will make her inclined to find a private place to do her business

-3- if dogs eat clumping litter it can get stuck in them which will require a vet to get it out.

We have a door buddy/ Door strap which fits on a door and will open wide enough for the cat to get in and out but not a dog. Of course a small dog can get through too. This attaches without harm to your door and removes without harm if you follow the directions. Since you have small dogs you may want to put the litter box on a table above their reach. Be sure the kitten can easily get to the box.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
How To Safely Introduce A Cat And A Dog – TheCatSite Articles

I have had cats, along with German shepherds, for years. The burden of training is really on the dog who is much bigger and can easily hurt the cat. This absolutely can work out successfully, but you have to go slowly, allow the cat to feel safe in its own space, and train the dog not to react to the cat. I am sure that you are a very good dog owner, but your pup should not feel that he can chase you and knock you down.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dogs can feel jealous and insecure, so as you're introducing your cat, be sure you do not neglect your dogs. It's best to give the dogs extra affection so they'll know the cat is not a threat to their bond with you.