my cat keeps hissing at my dogs

maibelynn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hello!! i recently got a new kitten she’s 3 months old she also bites me a little sor can someone help me how to make her stop but i tried introducing her to my dogs , my pitbull was kinda crazy but i have another dog she’s little and she was calmer , she went up to the kitten and they were calm but the kitten then hissed at her ? how can i stop her from doing that , and how do i make my pitbull and her be okay? also i tried brushing her and she bit me! i’ve been putting her on timeouts and they kinda seem to be working

BellaGooch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi there!
Firstly, I would limit time that your kitten and your pit bull spend together if you think your pit bull is potentially dangerous to her. I don’t think timeouts are the best way to go about things. Unfortunately, most kittens do bite and nip a bit as they are very playful Try yelping or yelling “no” loudly when she bites you.
this article might help with Introducing your cat and dog. Please do not force your kitten to like your dog right away, as it will cause stress and possibly cause her to act out even more.
Hope this helps! :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maibelynn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
yea when we let him see her we have him on leash so it’s safe! i’ve read about timeouts on kittens and they say it’s good and efficient i’ve tried to tell her no but she ignores me and never listens :( and okay i won’t!thank you so much , how often should i let her see my dogs then?

maibelynn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
okay thank you so much i appreciate this a lot!

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our current cat hisses at the lab every time she tries to sniff the cat. previous cats and pittie got along well, though while they were getting to know each other pittie's muzzle looked like a patchwork quilt.

Take your time with the introductions. Know that your cat will continue to hiss when the dog does something, anything she doesn't like, like sniff her (normal for dogs, disliked by most cats) It's the cat's way of saying back off. If the dog backs off, you're good.

maibelynn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ooo okay! yea my dog backs off when she hissed , did yours ever stop hissing and do they get along now?

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
With the cats and the pittie, yep, best friends. Pittie told the second and third dogs the rules, and they respected the cats. Pittie would put herself between the cats and any real or imagined danger, even from her doggie friends. She was clear enough that her doggie friends could visit in the house and stay over. Cats would come to get the dogs when they heard strange noises in the night. The cats played with the pittie and other girl dog. The boy dog didn't care for the cats but left them alone (he was a border collie mix)

Current cat and dog are still working it out. However, dog backs off at once for hissing. They sleep in the same room but not touching. This dog is a lab mix and sort of ...huge.

maibelynn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
awe that’s good they’re good together! and omg are they getting along slowly? did any of your dogs whine when they saw the cat or do anything? because my pitbull goes crazy and whines like he’s dying and idk how to make it better with them

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, she will eventually stop hissing and become friends with your dogs. This takes weeks to months with cats, not days. Hissing is the cat language for warning them not to come closer, very normal and as I said will stop. Hissing or saying ouch loudly when your kitten bites will usually stop them, she most likely bites you now because she is so scared coming into a new home with dogs, she is nervous even if she doesn't show it. Keep that pit bull on a leash until they become calmer around each other, that is how I taught a hunting dog who killed prey from killing my kitten. I would pull sharply up on the leash and say NO loudly when she lunged, They became best friends in a few months.

maibelynn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
does your cat ever bite you? if so did you stop it? and okay! i will make sure to do taht , how often did you let them see eachother and did yours hiss at your dogs?

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
all dogs are individuals. Keep an eye on your dog and cat. Remember INSIDE IS DIFFERENT FROM OUTSIDE. Many dogs who love their cats inside the house don't recognize them outside the house and will chase them out doors. I would not let my cats and dog be outside together, period. It was a chance I didn't want to take. And, this despite my pittie rescuing a couple of cats she found in trouble outside. JUST DON'T DO IT. please.

The current lab whines to let us know the cat told her to go away, or that she (the dog) is leaving the room, or that she's sitting in the room with us.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
current cat is still hissing at Lab. It's been two years.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Current cat was an only cat, no one to teach her manners. She bit me every day in play, hard. Then one day when she went for my foot, and bit, I hissed at her. She flipped around and grabbed her own foot and bit it. She screamed. She had no idea it would hurt, having no litter mates to learn with. She has not bitten me since then, 8 years. She pretends that she will bite brushing her closed fangs on me/ like a little jack hammer.

maibelynn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i am planning on only letting my cat be an indoor cat and to not go outside . and omg 2 years? do they atleast tolerate eachother? i’m hoping mine can atleast tolerate eachother because if not i might not be able to keep her. also did your cat ever scratch furniture? i ordered her those nail cap for cats i’m hoping they are good for her and omg i’m hoping my cat eventually stops biting me i got her from petsmart i think she was pretty trained she uses her litter and doesn’t scratch me but she acts like she’s going to scratch the floor but doesn’t take out her nails

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
with pittie, I had the cats when I brought the six month old pittie home. She wasn't that sure about me, but as soon as she saw the cats she was thrilled. That night I tried to put her in a crate to sleep, she cried. I put her in her own room, she chewed through part of the door. I let her out. I said, "Kill a cat and you're history." She climbed into my bed with all the cats and everyone slept together from then on.

Every dog is an individual just like people. My boy dog hated cats but considered they were the pittie's (his lady's) and mine so he left them alone, even let them wash his face. It horrified him, but he did it.

Follow Di's directions, they are fastest safest way to do this.

You might also keep a blanket/ small rug in each room to throw over the dog if she gets too excited. This will distract her, calm her down and give the cats time to clear the area.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Current cat grew up with a dog, who died, when kitty was two. I think part of her reluctance to get close to the new dog, is that, in her opinion, the new dog is the wrong dog. She considered the first dog her mom. her cat mom was killed by raccoons when she was 5 weeks old. These things make a difference.

maibelynn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
omg i’m so sorry for your loss! you’re right i will follow their instructions! i wish i knew more about what happened to my kittens mom . i’ve had my dogs since i was little and they’re good with other dogs but when they see a cat outside they go crazy! i really hope they get along like urs did .

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Even the best of dogs can't be trusted with cats outside. I don't know why that is, but there is something magical about the door that turns them into wild things.

Whatever her past you can make her current life the best ever. It is what her cat mom would want for her, especially if she's watching from the other side. This is a great thing for you and your dog.

When you are working with the dog, remember if she bounces (pitties are very bouncy) or lunges, she is doing dog play and they can get wound up in what they are doing. With Di's instructions all should be good. But remember if she accidentally hurts your cat, it was an accident.

never shout at your dog around your cat. That raises the tension on every level and stress is bad. Soothing music is good for all of you. Pitties are protective which means they are on the alert for sounds and tension in voices.

My pittie let her favorite cat grab onto either side of her face, then she would run through the house with cat swaying from side to side. I know they enjoyed this because they kept doing it.