My cat keeps having premature litters

Lclark4291130

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a cat she was a stray we took her in a couple weeks ago she still goes potty outside. My newbies gave me a bit of backstory on her she's been a stray in our park for four years some one had her and moved out of our trailer park they just left her when we took her in I noticed she was pregnant so we decided to keep her even more bc she was pregnant. According to the neighbors this is most likely Jer third litter the first one was a couple years ago before we moved in and she had them in the shed of our neighbors house in the middle of winter and she was still a stray so I assume she was going to get food and left the. there my neighbor found them and saved them and game the two of them homes. My other neighbor said she had another litter and all of the kittens died. Now two days ago she had her kittens . I've never had a cat even so certainly have no expert with kittens but the kittens came out Alive but after some research they were premature so the first night two died and the next morning the other two did. My question is I'm not sure if the last litter was also premature and that is what I'm assuming so it seems like two out of her three litters were premies can she still have a normal pregnancy. Normally I would just fix her Like any other animal but I think its unfair she never got a fair shot from conception to have the best pregnancy this time I will have her from beginning to end so I can ensure she's eating right not outside all by herself and in a warm environment at all times. So my question is a couple of she's had two premature litters can she still have a healthy one like the one she had before and if she gets pregnant again which is a possibility because she still goes potty outside what can I do to ensure that it foes smoothly and ahs delivers full term I know it's not a guarantee I just want to do everything in my power to help her. Also is it safe for her yo have another litter when she's already had three I've show the picture of the kittens to show they were premature maybe u can say how premature and give u an idea I'd she can have a healthy Litter

Attachments

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. Thanks for giving the stray cat a home.

I can't answer why she keeps having premature litters, but I can tell you that having one pregnancy after another is not healthy for her. Cats aren't like humans, so having a successful full term delivery really means nothing to them. Therefore, since you've adopted her, I would suggest making a vet appointment for her to make sure she is healthy. Then make an appointment to get her spayed. That really is the kindest thing you can do for her.

Here's a TCS article with more info, that may be helpful.
Why You Should Spay And Neuter Your Cats – TheCatSite Articles

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree with rubysmama rubysmama . Having been a stray her immune system is probably not strong and she may have fleas, worms, or parasites that need treating. She needs a vet check and vaccines and may need meds for worms, parasites, and fleas. She needs testing for other cat diseases that she may be a carrier for that could cause premature litters. Your best bet is to get her spayed now so she can be a healthy and happy loving family cat.

Thank you for taking her in and please keep us posted!

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For her to have two litters that are premature it's most likely health-related. Have you had her snap tested to see if she has FIV or FELV? It could be a host of reasons why she keeps having premature litters, FELV is a big possibility or it could just be worms. Honestly, the kindest thing would be to spay her. Even with lots of care, there are zero guarantees that her next litter won't be premature. Being in heat is stressful for a cat and a back-to-back litter of kittens can increase her risk of complications such as pyometra and mammary cancer. She won't be upset that she never had live kittens.