My cat keeps biting my ankles

CookieBeast88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat Cookie is a little overweight, so she is on a diet, but she doesn’t seem to like it. Anytime I walk within 5-8 feet or so of her feeding area she weaves in and out of my legs, and randomly will bite my ankle or scratch me. I think it is because she wants food, but she can’t have extra because of her diet. How do I get her to stop biting and scratching my ankles? My mom suggested a spray bottle, but I’m not sure about that. Is there a way to teach her not to bite and scratch my ankles without a spray bottle?

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A spray bottle is a very controversial idea here, but putting all that aside, just stopping the ankle nipping isn't necessarily enough because if the cat is hungry and nudgy it will likley be doing *something* problematic whether its non stop meowing, cord chewing or something else. Maybe you can tweak what you are feeding when to keep the diet going but eliminate the hungry feeling. Can you tell us about what was fed when before and the new feeding plan? Also, was there any begging before, and did it ever result in giving treats or extra food, or was there a schedule?

If its not hunger related and is just "I want my regular tasty food. Get it now human!" then thats a different issue of course. For that, I'd try a loud "no!" However, lets think about hunger first.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If you are feeding twice a day, you might consider feeding the same TOTAL amount of food, but in three feedings. That may help some.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CookieBeast88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A spray bottle is a very controversial idea here, but putting all that aside, just stopping the ankle nipping isn't necessarily enough because if the cat is hungry and nudgy it will likley be doing *something* problematic whether its non stop meowing, cord chewing or something else. Maybe you can tweak what you are feeding when to keep the diet going but eliminate the hungry feeling. Can you tell us about what was fed when before and the new feeding plan? Also, was there any begging before, and did it ever result in giving treats or extra food, or was there a schedule?

If its not hunger related and is just "I want my regular tasty food. Get it now human!" then thats a different issue of course. For that, I'd try a loud "no!" However, lets think about hunger first.
We adopted her from a shelter and she was overweight there, she was about 15 pounds and she’s supposed to be 10-12 pounds. We’re not sure what she was getting before the shelter, and we’ve tried a few things. Currently she gets 1/4 cup of dry food at around 6 am, then about 3 oz of wet food at around 3-4, then an 1/8 cup dry food around 9 when I go to bed, and she bites my ankles between 7-9 before she gets her last meal. I think it’s too much food, and I’m thinking about switching her to an all wet food diet since I’ve heard that helps with weight loss, and we’re taking her to a vet next week.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CookieBeast88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We adopted her from a shelter and she was overweight there, she was about 15 pounds and she’s supposed to be 10-12 pounds. We’re not sure what she was getting before the shelter, and we’ve tried a few things. Currently she gets 1/4 cup of dry food at around 6 am, then about 3 oz of wet food at around 3-4, then an 1/8 cup dry food around 9 when I go to bed, and she bites my ankles between 7-9 before she gets her last meal. I think it’s too much food, and I’m thinking about switching her to an all wet food diet since I’ve heard that helps with weight loss, and we’re taking her to a vet next week. I don’t like the idea of a spray bottle at all, but I also tend to spoil her a little, so I’m not sure what to think.

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
High protein, low carb, low fat wet food is one of the best things for weight loss. Wet food-only diets are best for health, as well. Good brand to consider to transition to, at first, are any of the non-fish varieties of Tiki Cat and Tiki Cat After Dark, though rotation between brands and proteins is ultimately ideal.

The higher protein content and the fact wet food is less processed means it stays longer in the stomach, meaning kitty will be satiated for longer.

Make sure to transition gradually, and cut back calories no more than 10% or so at a time. You don’t want a cat to lose weight too quickly to avoid fatty liver disease. a healthy rate of weight loss is between 1-2% of current weight a week.

There are a few great threads on site about weight loss journeys if you make use of the search function. They may be useful to you :)

This thread, specifically, has a load of good information Mickey, my 27 lbs foster and his journey back to a healthy weight

Krienze

Officially a cat lady now. No regrets.
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't like spray bottles. I've always worried that it'd damage my cats trust in me. I don't really have any suggestions otherwise though x.x Just wanted to offer my thoughts on the bottle.

japam

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Go to your local pound shop, or what not and buy a can of air duster for computers.
Put the can in your pocket if your wearings trouser or joggers or cardigan pocket, anytime your cat starts to play up, just press the nozzle, whilst still in your pocket, and the cat will interpret the sound as a hiss, meaning back off.

As for trust issues, what do you think cats in colonies do when one cat is over stepping boundaries or being irritating, they hiss or take a swipe at the culprit, and in other cases dart away.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
My cat Cookie is a little overweight, so she is on a diet, but she doesn’t seem to like it. Anytime I walk within 5-8 feet or so of her feeding area she weaves in and out of my legs, and randomly will bite my ankle or scratch me. I think it is because she wants food, but she can’t have extra because of her diet. How do I get her to stop biting and scratching my ankles? My mom suggested a spray bottle, but I’m not sure about that. Is there a way to teach her not to bite and scratch my ankles without a spray bottle?
My suspicion is not that she wants food. Since she's adopted from the shelter and we do not know her history and what goes on in the shelter, my guess is that she's protecting her food as you walk past or near her eating area. Cats can have such behavior as it is territorial and protective. It could be that in the shelter, other cats are stealing her food and thus she has to defend her turf.

I suggest that you place her favorite toys or toys around the house and a few near her eating area. Why I say this? Each time she walks between your legs, you just observe her behavior just right before she nips your ankles. Say in a firm voice 'Hey! No!' Then reach for the toy and distract her. Or before she even reaches you, stop walking and reach for the toy and play with her. This will take her mind off nipping you.

Please do not use a spray bottle. The cat does not associate water sprayed on them with bad behavior. Just be firm with her and distract her with a toy and over time, she'll get the idea by just listening to your firm loving tone.

Edit :
Transit her over to wet food. Wet food is full of nutrients and proteins and help keep weight down and also keeps cat hydrated. You may also add and mix 2 or 3 teaspoonful of filtered water to her wet food each time she eats. Wet food keeps her fuller. She should need around 250 calories a day from wet food.
Dry food is full of carbs and does not aid in weight lost.

Last edited:

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
15 pounds can be overweight. I assume she is built so that this makes her body shape too pudgy? Belly fat or carrying this weight in an unhealthy shape? I have large cats that weigh more but it fits their body well and they don’t have big bellies or poor muscle tone. If she is overweight then as tabbytom tabbytom suggested, the toys are a great solution for more than one reason. Cats often nip feet in an attempt to get play. Boredom. They can over eat from boredom too. As a shelter cat she may have lacked interactive play time. She may be craving more of her beloved human. Play would help her to lose the extra weight too. This is a positive Avenue to take whereas spraying with water can have a negative reaction. Scaring or upsetting her to discipline may just cause anxiety and other problems. It might even lead her to wanting to eat more to soothe the anxiety. Kicker toys are a great thing to keep on hand to drop to her when she nips. Wand toys are a way to get her working off weight and any frustration. They also work to make the human laugh at the cat antics. :lol: