My cat keep saying eatting weird things.

mycatpaulie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello, I can not believe I am writing this. My past cat would eat anything off the floor so we cat proofed our whole house. Palmer sadly passed away from kidney issues over winter so we reassured a one year old female cat we named nova. Up until this week but all of a sudden she has begun eatting non edible things, things that Palmer would never find like a sticker cling off of my wall. When we are not home I keep her in one room but it's hard to be by her all of them time when I am home. Should I give her any hair ball goo to help slide out the sticker or is there any advice anyone has for me. I have made no changes in her food, litter or anything else. I dud buy her some cat grass but she hardly touches it, I'm so worried about what to do, Thank you.

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like she may have pica. It’s something to discuss with your vet, as pica can be caused by deficiencies.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mycatpaulie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you Maurey, I was thinking that as well. I am so worried to leave her now!

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Eating non-edible things is common with young cats. Krista liked shredding toilet paper and chewing on charging cables. I learned to keep both covered/protected and she grew out of it. I don’t remember the last time I had to hide the cables or cover the TP. A vet visit is a good idea just to cover your bases. But you’ll likely just need to do another round of cat proofing. New cat, new cat proofing. Nova will show you how. 😹

mycatpaulie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much daftcat! I am wondering incase of an emergency if she ever ate something large or toxic I would take her to the energy vet but what is your opinion on induced vomiting with hydrogen peroxide, I hear mixed things? I am hoping to get her into the vet vet where Palmer went, they were great there, thanks for your help!

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much daftcat! I am wondering incase of an emergency if she ever ate something large or toxic I would take her to the energy vet but what is your opinion on induced vomiting with hydrogen peroxide, I hear mixed things? I am hoping to get her into the vet vet where Palmer went, they were great there, thanks for your help!
If she ingested something toxic, yes, take her to the emergency vet. You may even call them ahead of time to see if they have advice on induced vomiting. But in most cases, you can just watch your cat and let her work it out on its own. If she doesn’t seem distressed, if she’s not trying to bring something up, if she’s not lethargic, if she’s still eating and pooping just fine, then she’ll probably be just fine. If it’s something indigestible like a string, you can scoop her poop to a plastic baggie, add a little water, seal it up, and squish around until you find that string. 🤢😹 Cats eat fur, feathers, and bone in their natural diet. I think she can handle a sticker.

mycatpaulie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you very much, that makes me feel better! Do you think I should add any pumpkin or hairball gel to her diet for a few days? is there a hairball gel you recommend? We used to get Palmer an unflavored laxatone one from the vet but I see a lot online just not sure which is best.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you very much, that makes me feel better! Do you think I should add any pumpkin or hairball gel to her diet for a few days? is there a hairball gel you recommend? We used to get Palmer an unflavored laxatone one from the vet but I see a lot online just not sure which is best.
To be honest, I never needed hairball gel with Krista. She only started coughing hairballs when she was 14 or 15 and it was part of her IBD. When her IBD was being managed (avoiding trigger ingredients), no hairballs.

If you’re asking because you want to help something along, I would either give her pumpkin if she likes it or nothing. Cats normally eat fur, feathers, bone, and lots of their own hair (from grooming.) They have a pretty robust waste disposal system. 😹

mycatpaulie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much again for the advice! I might try the pumpkin since it's pretty healthy for cats. I apprciate your help!

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She sounds bored. Does she have a cat tree and cat TV out a window where she can watch the birds and wildlife? Have you tried any calming agents such as Feliway or Comfort Zone diffusers? Is a playmate an option for you and your family?

mycatpaulie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello, the rescue where we got her from said she dose not like other cats, there are four people in my house no little children so someone is always home, I brought her two cat tress ame tons if toys of toys. She is in the window watching birds right now, I don't think she is board. I used to get the feliways for Palmer so I could try those again,

Angel7472

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My little grey tabby has pica. She chews on blankets to the point they had holes in them. She chews cable cords but only the skinny smooth ones, so we replaced them all with braided. If my husband leaves his mancave open she will go in there and eat all the playstation cords. She's eaten my daughter's Macbook charger cord. You get the gist. She's been perfectly fine and healthy. No induced vomiting or treatment. Don't worry yours will be good.:)

mycatpaulie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much angel, I'm glad your kitty has been healthy even with pica. Has your vet ever found a cause for it? I know it can be from them not being weaned properly. Thanks for the reply!

Angel7472

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
On Mother's day 5 years ago we found her screaming her head off in the back green space behind our house. We bottle fed her, so the weaning part could be about right :lol:
Either way she's a spitfire! We named her Slinky but call her Stinky cuz she's always in trouble. She will jump on the top of the fridge and smack you if you open the door. She's great for a diet. You just look at her up there and think to yourself "do I really need it":lol:

mycatpaulie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That is so funny!!!! I always wanted a gray tabby but they seem really hard to find in my area.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello, I can not believe I am writing this. My past cat would eat anything off the floor so we cat proofed our whole house. Palmer sadly passed away from kidney issues over winter so we reassured a one year old female cat we named nova. Up until this week but all of a sudden she has begun eatting non edible things, things that Palmer would never find like a sticker cling off of my wall. When we are not home I keep her in one room but it's hard to be by her all of them time when I am home. Should I give her any hair ball goo to help slide out the sticker or is there any advice anyone has for me. I have made no changes in her food, litter or anything else. I dud buy her some cat grass but she hardly touches it, I'm so worried about what to do, Thank you.
When my cat was a kitten she would pick at the glue on the wall used by construction. Forgot what it's called. So all around my kitchen counter is plastic containers in the back to cover the glue. Also helps to have her on a feeding schedule because she does that when she is hungry

mycatpaulie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks Maggie! Are there any chew toys you recommend?

mycatpaulie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I will look right now. Thanks so much!