My cat just went blind.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ape48066

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone it's been a while. We are still having the same problem with peeing outside of the litter box. We have pee pads in the places where she likes to go the most. Other than that I don't know what else to do. I'm at my wits end with tests and no answers. I just want her to be happy and comfortable.

gsparks

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Have you checked her heart and taurine levels? Low taurine levels can lead to heart issues and cats going blind. If her teeth fell out it could mean heart issues.

As for the litter box...has your vet checked her for interstitial cystitis?

zed xyzed

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bless you for everything you are doing for her. You are her angel and she is so lucky to have you in her life. It sounded like you had the pee thing under control earlier, when did she start doing it again? Did you change anything like litter brand, location, amount of litter in the box, new food, new medication or stopped giving meds? Has anything else changed in her personality? 

I agree with trying a pure taurine supplement (it can't hurt and it is inexpensive) just make sure it doesn't have any additives. I like this one http://ca.iherb.com/pr/now-foods-taurine-pure-powder-8-oz-227-g/7425 Also have you tried a Feliway diffuser ?

let us know how things are progressing 

ape48066

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone we are still spinning our wheels with Kitty. She is peeing even more in the kitchen now.  We have moved her into her room, we lined the floor with pee pee pads, put her food and water in there as well as two litter pans. We just had a major lost in our family, my boyfriends' grandmother passed away. It as take a toll on all of us emotionally, but we are still talking about Kitty's quality of life at this point.  She doesn't seem to be in pain. She still has her appetite, and is loving lap time with both of us. Her vision is very little but she still make her way around the house.  The day will be here when we have to may a choice to let her go, I'm just not ready.  I don't think I will be. :(

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The Vet c an find no health reason for her peeing out side the box, right? 

Have you tried posting a thread in the Behavior forum, just on the off chance that some of the experts in that area might be able to come up with something that might help with that?  It's certainly worth a shot.

But I'm glad to hear she's still got a good quality of life and that you're still enjoying her
.  They can bring such joy into our lives (and such worry
)

ape48066

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi there everyone. Well tomorrow I say goodbye to my girl. She isn't herself anymore. This morning she was licking up her own pee. She is losing her fur, she has a nice bald spot. I can't keep doing this. It's for the best, so tomorrow I'm spending the day with she, before we go to the vet @ 4:30, to get her wings. This is the hardest thing I've had to do. I'm sure I'll be fine in time, but as of right now I'm a mess.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so sorry you have to go through this. :( You really have done what you can for her and battled to keep her with you for as long as possible. This decision is never easy, but you have to remind yourself of the value of her dignity and quality of life. I hope her passing is peaceful and I will be thinking of you today. :hugs:

winksmom

Darling in his basket
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh it is so hard I know! You did your best. I lost my little Wink to FIP 3 weeks ago. You are in my thoughts and prayers.