My cat just went blind.

oldgloryrags88

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm glad your girl is better!

I have a 13 year old Persian girl that I adopted almost 1 year ago. She was neglected as her owner was killed in a car accident. My girl was born blind....she sees with her heart.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ape48066

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm glad your girl is better!

I have a 13 year old Persian girl that I adopted almost 1 year ago. She was neglected as her owner was killed in a car accident. My girl was born blind....she sees with her heart.

ape48066

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi there everyone.  Well I don't know what else to do, Kitty was doing well, but a few weeks ago she pooped in the bathroom.  We had a vet visit and everything was fine.  Then last night my boyfriend came home to pee on the couch.  So my mom went out and got a carpet cleaner for me to clean it up. Needless to say we are not happy.  My boyfriend is done he wants me to stop the meds and just let nature take it's course.  I'm at the end of my ropes.  She wakes me up at least three times a night for food.  I can't keep do test with nothing changing.  She's eleven years old.  It might be time to let her go.  I don't know what to do. Hopefully the vet will have some answers for me.

zed xyzed

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am sorry that Kitty is not well could you get a time release food bowl to help with the waking up issue. My sister picked one up recently and has had a great success with it. I wonder if the pee issue is behavioral ? if so Feliway might help with that

Last edited:

ape48066

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That's what the vet is thinking.  I'm not sure.  As for the food bowl I'm trying to control her diet, but I'm thinking I may need to get one.

ape48066

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I talked to my vet and she wants to put her on Prozac! I can't keep doing this, I can't keep giving her meds just to keep masking things. Over the past week she has peed on the couch 5 times. I just got done vacuuming the house and was giving her some treats to calm her and she bit my thumb. Her vision is pretty much gone. I'm at my wits end. I truly think it's time to say goodbye. :( I love her so much but she's not okay, she's not herself anymore. 11 years is a long time, but the past year has been so difficult.

mingsmongols

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That's a hard position to be in. It may be time. In the meantime have you thought about stud pants for her? You could set up a room for herself and then let her out when your home with her 'panties' on.

ape48066

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
@mingsmongols I have but I don't think she'll ware them. She can barely stand me petting her.

mingsmongols

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She's not going to like it one bit in the beginning. There's different kinds though that are like dress/pant suit combinations as well. Unfortunately she might just not take to it.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
@mingsmongols I have but I don't think she'll ware them. She can barely stand me petting her.
Is the not liking you to pet her NEW?  If so, what does your Vet say about that?  Is it all a part of her diagnosis? 

Since she's pretty much blind, are you cleaning the urine spots really well with an enzymatic cleaner?  If not, that may be why she returns to the couch...she can smell it. 

Gosh, this is certainly a dilemma
.  I agree you don't want to keep givng her meds just to mask issues.  What about the surgery as an option to cure her.  Isn't the real issue a tumor on her Adrenals?  I know surgery is the LAST option, but is medication doesn't work, then isn't surgery the logical next step?  Yes, it's risky, but isn't it worth giving her that chance?  OR, does the entire Adrenal gland have to be removed, which would then result in DIFFERENT issues? 

motu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
just in case it helps, my cat went blind and then regained vision.  Vet tested for kidneys and thyroid both of which were negative.  (blood test and urine test were normal).  Went to the pet eye doctor and she said the cat had detached retinas caused by high blood pressure (230).  After blood pressure control medicine and steroids the detached retinas are reattached.  Significant vision is present but not full vision.  For example, the cat sees well enough see a nearby table and to leap from your arms but not good enough to pursue a butterfly.  Before the cat bumped into chairs.  At about 2 months now I don't know if the blood pressure will be controlled long term or if there is a systemic health condition with the cat.  Time will tell.  A suggestion was made by the vet but not the eye doctor to go to a cardiologist.

arouetta

Slave of Bastet's acolytes
Top Cat
Purraise

Is the not liking you to pet her NEW?  If so, what does your Vet say about that?  Is it all a part of her diagnosis? 

Since she's pretty much blind, are you cleaning the urine spots really well with an enzymatic cleaner?  If not, that may be why she returns to the couch...she can smell it. 

Gosh, this is certainly a dilemma
.  I agree you don't want to keep givng her meds just to mask issues.  What about the surgery as an option to cure her.  Isn't the real issue a tumor on her Adrenals?  I know surgery is the LAST option, but is medication doesn't work, then isn't surgery the logical next step?  Yes, it's risky, but isn't it worth giving her that chance?  OR, does the entire Adrenal gland have to be removed, which would then result in DIFFERENT issues? 
Ape said the tumor is on the pituitary gland.  Humans get that too and someone close to me has one, though his is non-functional.  To get rid of a tumor on your pituitary gland, they have two options.  They can either stick the surgical instruments up your nose, break the bone behind your sinuses and cut it off and take it out, or (if it's too big for the nose), they break the bone above your palate and take it out that way.  Literally it's brain surgery and it involves breaking your facial bones.  I'm not sure I'd want to do that to a cat.

ape48066

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
@mrsgreenjeens  We have cleaned every time she has gone.  I even got a Spot Bot to clean everything and put the enzyme spray down.  As for the petting she lets us but as to be vocal about it.  We have bought a waterproof cover for the couch and I also put down pee pads.  As for surgery the vet has never brought it up and I wouldn't want to do it at her age. She 11 I'm lucky to have had her this long.  @Motu We went to the eye doctor they have her on blood pressure meds. They are also the one's who tested her for everything and said I should do an ultrasound of her kidneys, that's when and how I found the vet that has been taking care of everything.   I couldn't have found a better vet, I love the girls there they truly love their jobs and the cats they care for.

ape48066

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Knock on wood, we haven't had any more peeing outside of the litter pan it the last week.  The vet upped the incline, I'm thinking it's helping with things for now.  She still seems to be in a bit of pain but she's loving lap time with my boyfriend and myself.  I take whatever I can get at this point. Happy Thanksgiving friends!!