My cat just went blind.

momofmaxwell

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi ape48066.

I agree with Artie's Mom the kidney is no where near that area at least when I watch my vet palpate for the kidney's.Although none of us are there to see exactly  where.Even if we were to palpate it we are not vets.

Being attached or not attached it concerns me.Just from what I have dealt with in the past.But most i dealt with were benign but changed later or they were just removed and pathology came back benign. Like I said in a prior post.

Here is something from merck's vet handbook on adrenal glands.But from reading sounds almost like the opposite to your babies symptoms.

http://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=AwrT...ats.html/RK=0/RS=Q.ivZL9HJAWyUI__MXubxvPIKzk-

Unfortunately we are not vets but I would concerned that maybe this is linked to one another maybe.Just guessing here honey.I recommend a vet feeling her & going from there.Hugs C

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

ape48066

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi there everyone I wanted to let you know that Kitty's sight is starting to get worse especially at night.  She is still doing well. Eating like a pig and is still able to find the litter with no problems.  She is very unsure about jumping up on things and jumping from one place to another, which is fine I don't want her to hurt herself.  But other than that we are doing well.  Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!! 

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you for keeping us updated.  Is Kitty keeping well other than her sight reducing?  Her eating a lot is less worrysome than going off food and weight going down rapidly at least.  

With her sight changing gradually Kitty should cope well as she can acclimatize to the smaller changes and continue to find her way around your home.  Pal would walk around the edges of the room or brush against furniture to negotiate, esp at points her sight was becoming worse, then she would settle again.

If Kitty starts to meow and 'call' for you more it may well be down to her sight.   Pal and Snowleopard started to call quite a bit more once their sight was pretty much gone as they would sometimes forget where they were, or want reassurance from me that I was arround.  I suspect they both made a terrible racket when they were in on their own.  

Snowleopard was the most scary as she was really fit and active other than her sight and would run and jump about the place as if nothing were amiss - in fact I didn't realise until she was almost completely blind and only found out when I went to the vet because she was suddenly very ill - and when they examined me told me about her sight!   I should have realized really when she jumped off the arm of a chair on to my coffee table a couple of days before and ran straight in to a lit dinner candle....   red wax everywhere on my table and wall but thankfully not on her fur and no burns.       

ellag

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
have you ever tried giving her wet food? dry food is the worst thing for cats with kidney disease. its bad for any cat really. most vets don't seem to know alot about cat nutrition unless you go to a holistic vet. this site is execellent for cat nutrition:  www.catinfo.org

ape48066

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I took Kitty to a different vet to get a second opinion and she did an ultra sound.  Her adrenal gland is 4 times the size it should be that is causing all of the weight gain.  We are doing blood work today to see if we can use meds to control everything.  Wish us luck. And don't forget my girl is going to be 11 years old.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Wow!  Interesting...good to finally know there is a reason for what is happening, huh? 

Fingers crossed medication will be the key, and no surgery will be required.

ape48066

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah it sure does!!  The poor baby they shaved her belly and a spot on each of her front legs. :(

ape48066

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So I FINALLY have an answer to everything, Kitty has a tumor on her pituitary gland.  That is making her adrenal glands enlarged.  So the next step is to start a new med and see if that helps.  With any like she will start losing weight and will come off the blood presser meds.   

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

So I FINALLY have an answer to everything, Kitty has a tumor on her pituitary gland.  That is making her adrenal glands enlarged.  So the next step is to start a new med and see if that helps.  With any like she will start losing weight and will come off the blood presser meds.   
 Hoping the meds work and no surgery is required.  Keep us posted on her progress.

ape48066

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So we have an answer to what is going on with Kitty, she has Cushing's disease. The vet gave us a new medicine to take, so far so good. But she has a fuzzy belly from the ultrasound.

ape48066

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The meds have been helping.  Now we just need to get her to lose so weight.  Any ideas on how to get a lazy food driven fat cat to play?? Her sight isn't great but she can see a little.

ruthm

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry your kitty has been through so much! Glad the 2nd vet figured out what was wrong, hope the new med helps. Is it Trilostane?

ape48066

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
@RuthM no it's Hyperadrenocorticism better known as Cushing's   syndrome.  It has to do with the pituitary gland. I'm still trying to get her to play. She isn't losing any weight yet.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
So we have an answer to what is going on with Kitty, she has Cushing's disease. The vet gave us a new medicine to take, so far so good. But she has a fuzzy belly from the ultrasound.
Oh her belly is adorable in that photo!
I'm glad you found out what was going on. I know from experience with dogs that Cushings' is treatable and you can see an amazing turnaround once they're on the right meds. I don't know for cats though, but I'm sure hoping that that will be the case with Kitty.

ruthm

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

@RuthM no it's Hyperadrenocorticism better known as Cushing's   syndrome.  It has to do with the pituitary gland. I'm still trying to get her to play. She isn't losing any weight yet.
Yes, I realize your cat's diagnosis is Cushing's (Hyperadrenocorticism).  We have seen only a very few cats with Cushing's Disease on the Feline Diabetes board. it is uncommon, or maybe underdiagnosed, not sure.  

I was ust wondering if the medication given was Trilostane, as it is the current treatment of choice.  Have you seen this article, the last half covers what little is known about Cushing's disease:

http://www.academia.edu/9267158/Hyp...radrenocorticism_and_Feline_Diabetes_Mellitus

ape48066

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone sorry I've been away for a while.  Kitty is doing well as can be.  Her Cushing's is under control with the help of Trilostane.  She is 11 year old and is now on Insulin, which is helping with her urine output.  She has lost 2.8 pounds.  She is at 10.7 now which is good. I'm still getting woken up about four times a night because she thinks she's starving.  I don't give in till the second or third time.  It's still a work in progress.  I'm hopeful she will have a few more years in her.