My cat just peed on the floor

Kwillibc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! I have a 7 year old cat that I just adopted a few months ago. About 3 months after that I got a dog. My cat had warmed up to me significantly and wasn't shy at all. Once my dog came around I tried to get them accustomed to each other but I believe I moved too fast because she started territorial pooping in her room. Now that I've slowed it down, the pooping has stopped but today I went in and she peed on the floor. Last time she pooped on the floor was three weeks ago and she hasn't been acting abnormally at all. Should I take her to the vet? Is this normal?

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Either UTI or stress I would take her to the vet just in case.If she always pees on the same spot it is probably stress,marking her teritory.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Where did she pee? Right outside the litter box or farther away from it? If it is just a one time event so far, I would wait to see if it happens again. If there is a health issue brewing, it will most likely occur again in the immediate future. Make sure you thoroughly clean the area with enzymatic cleaners to completely remove the urine smell, so she is not drawn to go in that spot again.

It might be possible that the litter box wasn't cleaned before she had to go and she didn't want to use it? No matter how much we clean out their litter boxes, they always manage to have to go one time or another before we scoop out their last 'deposits'.

But, if it happens again, you probably should have a urinalysis and urine culture done, given her age since she is closing in on her senior years. Did she have those tests done when you adopted her? If so, were they any signs of sediment in her urine to indicate she might have crystals developing?