My cat just had kittens yesterday. Please help.

Kashastasiak

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She wont let me leave her side .All last night and this morning I kept wakeing up to her laying on me and her kittens left in the nest. She is a first time momma she had 4 total but 2 where still born and the last one she had problems with it was stuck halfway out fans took about what for her yo get it out with help . I'm the only one she wants around she waited for me to get back home to have the kittens to and wouldn't even push if I wasn't in there. She seems to be nursing alright iv been very dillagant about makeing sure they are eating we have 1 runt out of the 2 and its significantly smaller and seems to struggal to stay attached to eat but for an eat just switched nippals a lot. I don't have a way to close her in a room we don't really have rooms in our house the bathroom is the only room with a door and its a very small bathroom. In a first timer and so is midnight I feel we both are lost and don't know what to do.in trying my best to keep her with her kittens and in the nest but she just wants to be with me.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Can you make a bed on the floor and sleep next to her? This phase usually subsides in about 48 hours. It’s caused by hormones, but she should settle down eventually. Keep us posted! 😊

Kashastasiak Kashastasiak

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kashastasiak

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I can but its not just at night its all day well so far all day today and I dont think its a good idea her and the kittens being in my bed I have a high up king size bed I don't want them to fall off .but I will try the sleeping in there with her.

Kashastasiak

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How long should the kittens feed for during each feeding my lil runt doesn't seem to be eating enough but only eats for short amounts of time during each feeding he seems to change nippals every few seconds and not just latch on to one nipple like the other kitten does....please any advice would be amazing!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How long should the kittens feed for during each feeding my lil runt doesn't seem to be eating enough but only eats for short amounts of time during each feeding he seems to change nippals every few seconds and not just latch on to one nipple like the other kitten does....please any advice would be amazing!
Its important to know their weigh, and thus see if they get enough. If they raise 10+ gram a day, evertyhing is fine, and if its much less, something is amiss and you must step in...
So, do weigh them every day...

Kashastasiak

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Alright thank you for all your help !!! Its greatly appreciated!! midnight is my baby girl and apart of our family and first time mom and me first time "grandkittyma" lol we both appreciate all the help and tips she seems to bw doing a lot better she is nursing and cleaning her baby's but still glued to my side .but she is starting to step up her momma game shes getting there thank you again !!!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Put her on a nipple that the other kitten uses. Put the other kitten on a different nipple. The one the other kitten is using should be producing. She may not be suckling strongly enough to get much yet, but nipples that are not used will not produce.

You’ll want to weigh daily with a digital kitchen scale that weighs in grams. The little one needs to gain at least 6 grams a day, otherwise you must supplement.

Here is a helpful video:

Syringe Feeding — Kitten Lady

Kashastasiak

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Alrighty thank you so much in gonna try and find a ride to the vet today cuz I don't have a car right now last night at about 150ish am midnight(momma) its kinda weird to explain but it was like she darted and I heard a squish and she kept mowing at me and then vigorously cleaning herself so when I looked it was like very liquid bloodyish discharge ....do you know anything about that ? She has seemed fine since staying with kittens more feeding them cleaning them ext...I'm just worried for her is it normal or should I be concerned also she has been eating not normal eating but eating and she's been poping and peeing normal well at least she was till this morning around 2am we all just woke up its 830am now and she seems fine kittens are feeding I'm just worried

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It is normal for moms to bleed and spot for 7-10 days after giving birth while the uterus heals. The blood should get less and less and turn pink then brown. It sounds like she perhaps had a bit of a clot that she expelled with an after birth contraction, and this is okay. As long as she is good today there is no need for a vet trip. If she continues to bleed heavily (like a hemorrhage) then she would need emergency care.

Do see that she gets extra calcium by giving her a dish of formula to drink each day, and boil some chicken to see if she will eat some for extra protein.

Have you weighed the babies yet? Is the smaller one nursing better yet?

Kashastasiak Kashastasiak

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Very good! They should begin to gain more each 24 hours. I hope all continues to go well. Please keep us posted! 😊