My cat just had kittens and won't let me leave her

adelly

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat just gave birth to 6 kittens a few hours ago, and she has been a little uncooperative taking care of them. She's gotten better, but whenever my boyfriend and I walk away from her (even for a minute) she gets upset and follows us and meows very loudly. So now we are having to sleep next to her and the babies or she won't stay with them. Is that normal or is there something I should do to make her more comfortable when we can't be with her?

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Hi @Adelly and welcome to TCS!

I've moved your question over here to Pregnant Cats and KItten Care as there will be people who can help you.

In the meantime, I know people will ask you to keep an eye on the kittens' weights:

[article="33289"]Weighing Newborn Kittens And How This Could Save Their Lives​[/article]  

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello!  It can take a day or two for mom's hormones to settle.  For now, can you close her in a room with her nest, her food, her water, and her litter box?  That should keep her with the kittens even if you walk away.

Mom should eat as much wet and dry kitten food as she wants while she's nursing.  Are you weighing the kittens?  You'll have runts with 6 and may need to supplement.

Also, can you make 100% sure that mom stays inside and away from intact males until the kittens are weaned?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

adelly

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've started weighing them and the runt is getting a little bigger. Sometimes she just sits there and meows at them. Or me. Im not sure who's attention she's trying to get, and anytime they start wiggling around she gets anxious. But they're in a safe place, no boy cats around. But so far, even locked in the room, she sometimes gets up away from them and cries at the door.

And just this morning, we got her nursing and I walked away to the other side of the room and she got up and followed me.

We found her really really young (about 2 weeks) and we hand raised her and we didn't have any other cats so she was never taught how to be a cat (sounds silly). So she just seems confused a lot and whenever she panics, or doesn't know what to do, she comes running to me or my boyfriend like "help me!" And I don't know if she should be so dependent on us to help raise the kittens?

adelly

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi @Adelly
and welcome to TCS!

I've moved your question over here to Pregnant Cats and KItten Care as there will be people who can help you.

In the meantime, I know people will ask you to keep an eye on the kittens' weights:
[article="33289"]​[/article] 
Thank you!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She wants attention and needs comforting. It's bewildering to new moms to suddenly have 6 kittens to care for - and hard work!

For now spend as much time with her as you can, and help her if she needs it. She should settle down more in the next couple of days.

How are the kittens doing today?

adelly

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She wants attention and needs comforting. It's bewildering to new moms to suddenly have 6 kittens to care for - and hard work!

For now spend as much time with her as you can, and help her if she needs it. She should settle down more in the next couple of days.

How are the kittens doing today?
The kittens are doing fine so far (: I'm really happy with the mimsy's (the runts) progress, though she's still a little purple around her paws and legs. They like to make burrows under the blankets they're on, which is cute (:

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've started weighing them and the runt is getting a little bigger. Sometimes she just sits there and meows at them. Or me. Im not sure who's attention she's trying to get, and anytime they start wiggling around she gets anxious. But they're in a safe place, no boy cats around. But so far, even locked in the room, she sometimes gets up away from them and cries at the door.

And just this morning, we got her nursing and I walked away to the other side of the room and she got up and followed me.

We found her really really young (about 2 weeks) and we hand raised her and we didn't have any other cats so she was never taught how to be a cat (sounds silly). So she just seems confused a lot and whenever she panics, or doesn't know what to do, she comes running to me or my boyfriend like "help me!" And I don't know if she should be so dependent on us to help raise the kittens?
You want to see them gaining 6-10 grams per day minimum. If you're not seeing that, you'll want to supplement with kmr.

Mom can get pregnant within a week of delivery so you'll want to be really careful with her, too.

Keep asking questions!