My cat just forced the introduction!

Babypinkweeb

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm half freaking out and would love some feedback. Video of this situation linked at the end.

My resident cat (Boogie, 11) who has never done it before, might have just learned to open doors to meet our new adopted cat (Nugget, 1). I have a cheap cam set up in Nugget's room just to keep an eye on him. I only brought him home last night! He's adjusted well but I can tell he has a bit more cautious (not fearful) demeanor so far. I was planning to let him hang in his room until he seems confident and curious enough, and eventually start site swapping in a week or 2.

In comes my cheeky 11 year old Boogie! He's been getting more curious and attentive in the last few months maybe thanks to his new healthier diet and finding his jackpot toy. I was in the kitchen doing some organizing when I heard a door gently open. I thought it was my girlfriend going to the restroom or just closing her door so ignored it. Then I heard some Boogie meows, the usual meows he uses to talk to us, so I thought maybe he was meowing to be let into girlfriend's room. I decided to check on him since she has zoom class right now and I didn't want him to bother her.

I walk over to find Boogie trotting over to me like usual, and the bathroom door slightly ajar!! The new cat Nugget cautiously peeking his head out from the crack. Of course I freak out internally and close the door. I took a moment to realize what just happened, and Boogie came next to me and looking at the door with interest. I decide, well they already saw eachother, might as well give them a peek, and opened the door a tiny crack so they could see but not touch (please don't hate me if this was a terrible impulse). Nugget practically wanted to squeeze his little nose and paw thru, while Boogie watched before losing interest and walking off. Dejected Nugget backed up slightly so I quickly closed the crack.

Checking to make sure Boogie feels fine (he loves other cats so I knew he wouldn't get territorial or scared), I ran to check my footage on the cam. I found the following footage and apparently Boogie was in his room for a lot longer than I thought. I don't think I see any signs of possible dangers (thankfully no hissing or growling).

The audio on the cam is crap but if you turn it all the way up you can hear Boogie meowing (at Nugget?). I just would love to know what this all means. The one closing the door around 1:50 mark is me.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Babypinkweeb

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
By the way, soon after this was all over, they are both just chilling and napping. Nugget hung by the door for a minute before jumping back up to his bed and basically immediately passing out. Boogie went to his usual spot by the window and loafed before falling asleep.

Babypinkweeb

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Before dinner time for Boogie we played with him, and my gf decided to open Nugget's door to let him watch, since they already basically "met" haha. Nugget doesn't really leave his bed so she didn't worry about him sprinting out. We ended up with a friendly play session in the pet gate area, with Boogie and Nugget at varying distance from each other thru out. At one point they both approached each other and sniffed noses, no reaction from Nugget, and Boogie just did his open mouth thing. Neither focused on each other for long as the toy was too tempting. The play session was about 15 mins.

Both eventually got tired, with Nugget lying down and Boogie walking away. I prepared dinner for Boogie and let him eat near the pet gate far from Nugget but within view of each other. Nugget just watched sleepily from his bed, while Boogie ate happily only glancing up at Nugget 2 times at the start. During play and meal time Boogie did let out a few trill/mrrp towards Nugget. Nugget is very silent as a cat so he didn't make any sounds.

So it seems everything is ok so far?

eva21513

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cats forced their intro as well - they just think they get to call all the shots around here ;)

Sounds good so far! I'd definitely give them treats, play time, anything happy where they can smell each other for the next few days. Build that positive association! :) If hissing/growling/etc starts, then of course take it back a step.

It's possible that Boogie is so nonchalant because Nugget is confined to the bathroom, and because Nugget isn't moving or doing much yet (lots of changes for Nugget! he's probably normally quite active, just tired from all the new smells and noises and people). I'm guessing you're planning to move him to a different room since the intro process for adults usually takes at least a couple of weeks? And Nugget will certainly gain confidence as he gets familiar with you, your gf, the sounds of your home, etc. At that point, Boogie may begin to express his territoriality. Or sooner, or later, or not at all - but I'd definitely suggest continuing to follow a gradual introduction process.

Babypinkweeb

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cats forced their intro as well - they just think they get to call all the shots around here ;)

Sounds good so far! I'd definitely give them treats, play time, anything happy where they can smell each other for the next few days. Build that positive association! :) If hissing/growling/etc starts, then of course take it back a step.

It's possible that Boogie is so nonchalant because Nugget is confined to the bathroom, and because Nugget isn't moving or doing much yet (lots of changes for Nugget! he's probably normally quite active, just tired from all the new smells and noises and people). I'm guessing you're planning to move him to a different room since the intro process for adults usually takes at least a couple of weeks? And Nugget will certainly gain confidence as he gets familiar with you, your gf, the sounds of your home, etc. At that point, Boogie may begin to express his territoriality. Or sooner, or later, or not at all - but I'd definitely suggest continuing to follow a gradual introduction process.
Thank you for replying! Not gonna lie I was kind of freaked out and waiting for any response with bated breath 😂

We live in an apartment so the bathroom there is the only feasible room for him to live in. Although since we let him explore our office, we notice he doesn't get into papers or wires, so we might add that room to his available space. The bathroom and office are connected via a tiny space that is gated off from Boogie. Neither cats are interested in jumping over the gate so far. The gate isn't directly on the bathroom door.

I've done proper longer intro before and this is definitely a first for me. After putting Nugget in his room, I left his carrier where Boogie can sniff and he proceeded to nap inside it for hours after sniffing curious. I did scent swap since neither cat seem to care about smell. As usual Boogie doesn't really care either way. When I let Nugget sniff my hands with Boogie scent he immediately bunted my hands and purred. Hopefully they will continue the no hissing/growling!

Nugget has explored the nearby office twice since he's moved in 24 hours ago, so he is becoming less shy about his surroundings. In my 3rd reply above I wrote down a play session we did with them, as suggested by my girlfriend where they were both playing on either side of the gate whole my gf used the same toy to tease them. We only decided to do this as while Nugget was going between the bathroom and office, they came up to the gate and... Sniffed noses sweetly!!! Nugget didn't react much and Boogie just did the open mouth. During play time they both pounced toward the toy once, and did not get upset. Nugget stopped short, and Boogie was too focused on the toy to care.

Im hoping fingers crossed for continued good news as Boogie has never had any territorial reactions with other cats he's lived with! The shelter said Nugget didn't seem like he has a mean bone in his body and I can tell.

Babypinkweeb

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It seems like everything is amazing, so far !!! And totally not the norm. Fingers crossed the good vibes between them continue, and that they'll be besties before long. :catlove:
Yes this is unlike anything I've read or seen before in introductions!! I can only hope it continues, and that it means I somehow made a perfect match in adoption.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Sometimes it is better to let nature take it's course. As long as they aren't hissing or shedding blood chances are things are just fine. Cats do rough house and the older one may pin the younger one down when they have had enough, this is simply giving the younger one a timeout and teaching them manners.

Babypinkweeb

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's been a bit over 24 hours since we brought Nugget home.

Gf left Nugget's door open so they are able to freely see eachother via the pet gate while she was working in the office next door. She captured some playful smacks and Nugget being super happy! Whenever Nugget sees Boogie is near the gate he would go over and they would play pattycake. There has been no hissing nor growling. Boogie continues to meow and trill at Nugget.

Nugget seem to have come out of his shell a lot since he met Boogie. At the shelter he was very sweet but quite lethargic, now he is playing with every toy we throw at him! Since meeting Boogie, Nugget has become more active rather than staying in his cat bed all day.

Attachments

Babypinkweeb

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Boogie snuck by as I was going thru the pet gate to drink Nugget's water. Nugget saw him and came down from his bed on the counter again and they had another nose sniff. As a side note I notice they inhale/breath quite loudly whenever they do this. I assume it's just to really take in the scent strongly? Anyway after the nose sniff, Boogie went forward to sniff Nugget's butt, at which point Nugget thought it would be ok to also sniff Boogie's body. Boogie was distracted by the sniffing for a few seconds before he felt startled that someone was sniffing his side and gave a warning smack, which Nugget immediately backs up (into a defensive crouching pose) and gave a little hiss. Both immediately walked away/backed off. They didn't back up far, as I still had to herd Boogie out of the pet gate area, and Nugget was then back to rubbing against our legs and got distracted by his food bowl and started eating.

After making sure both cats feel ok, I took some kibble and fed it to Boogie by the pet gate while Nugget watched (he had 0 interest in the food). They were maybe half an inch apart, and Nugget kept sniffing at Boogie, as well as reach out a straight arm which Boogie gently sniffed a few times. No hissing/growling. Once again Nugget rolls over to his side and just stared with loving eyes and slow blinks as my dumb Boogie is 100% focused on the food. I wish someone could look at me the way Nugget looks at Boogie! 😂

Afterwards my gf played with them on both sides of the gate and there were 0 issues.

Still I am super grateful with how well it is going. Boogie doesn't seem like he has any issues, maybe he was just startled. He did initiate the butt sniffing 🙄

Attachments

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I actually think that the fact that they were alone in their first meeting really helped. I can’t help but thinking that most often than not, the presence of humans during cats’ introductions is causing some additional stress on cats, or other negative reactions, as humans are often stressed themselves and cats can pick that up. It’s awesome that you got that on video. It seems your guys are doing great job now!

Babypinkweeb

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I actually think that the fact that they were alone in their first meeting really helped. I can’t help but thinking that most often than not, the presence of humans during cats’ introductions is causing some additional stress on cats, or other negative reactions, as humans are often stressed themselves and cats can pick that up. It’s awesome that you got that on video. It seems your guys are doing great job now!
That's very interesting, and I wouldn't be surprised if there was some truth to it! I'm usually a very anxious and worrisome person so maybe that would rub off on the cats. So far having calm and chill visuals thru pet gate on day 3 seems like incredible progress.

Babypinkweeb

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Nothing much exciting has happened since we want to wait until after Nugget's vet appointment before trying shared space. We did some site swapping where Nugget was exploring the living room while Boogie slept in bedroom. He's quite cautious but still curious, but just like the shelter said when he saw the big windows he was immediately in love! He almost went to sleep in one of Boogie's beds, as well as went inside the other litter boxes.

There's been a few more nose sniffing and butt sniffing sessions thru the gate. It's interesting that they kind of swap interests. One time Nugget might me fully focused on me while Boogie is reaching and sniffing him like crazy, another time Nugget would be trying hard to get Boogie's attention while the latter doesn't care. Not sure if it's a good or bad sign but at least no hissing is fine.

One thing I have question about is that when Nugget reaches for him, it's more like poking. But when Boogie sometimes reaches, it's like he's pawing/gently smacking? Esp sometimes on Nugget's head but Nugget doesn't really react to it except a mild wince (he still keeps purring since he was focused on me). I'm not sure if it shows Boogie is playful or hostile, or it's just a simple personality difference. Boogie does this with other animals as well... He's gently smacked other kitties, rabbits and toys. I just assume that's his version of the poking.

Another thing is that Nugget just seems to be sleeping most of the time. Even tho we leave his door open for a while he prefers to stay in his bed. He was a bit more alert this morning when I came to see him (actually left the bed and walked around). I assume this is just him slowly getting used to living here? He eats all his food and has no issues with litterbox. We play with both of them 2-3 times a day as well but Nugget often volunteers to run back to his bed.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It really sounds like things are going well. I'm not 100% sure, but I think the pawing/smacking is fine. As long as there's no sign of aggression, puffed fur / growling, etc. it's probably play. TCS actually has an article called Are My Cats Fighting Or Playing? – TheCatSite Articles that might give you tips to watch for, but again, I think they're fine.

Babypinkweeb

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It really sounds like things are going well. I'm not 100% sure, but I think the pawing/smacking is fine. As long as there's no sign of aggression, puffed fur / growling, etc. it's probably play. TCS actually has an article called Are My Cats Fighting Or Playing? – TheCatSite Articles that might give you tips to watch for, but again, I think they're fine.
Thank you! Reading thru it seems like it's not a fight. They're doing it thru the pet gate so they can't really get at eachother, but I just find it interesting how Boogie's pawing is less gentle and nice looking than Nugget's soft poking 😂 good to know he is likely just testing the waters and not actually trying to smack Nugget in the face. From the video shared in the thread I think his body language do not show any hostility.

Sometimes it's hard to tell since I noticed that Nugget seems to like swishing/wagging his tail for many circumstances. I've never seen a cat wag their tail so much, and definitely not overstimulated or annoyed. Makes me worry he is upset but the rest of his body language and vocalization shows contentment or playfulness.

Babypinkweeb

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Caught some intense footsie today! Near the end Boogie was doing lots of face smacks which Nugget gave a tiny hiss and got into a crouch position, but Boogie immediately stopped and walked away. After the video Nugget continue to roll onto his sides and try to engage Boogie so I don't think he got too spooked. They kept playing for a while even after the little hiss incident in the video.

Nugget is coming out of his shell more and leaving his room to hang out in that gated off area on his own. On first day he felt unsure eating while I was near him but today he came waiting for his food by the gate once I started prepping their meals. 🥰 They can both eat thru the gate no problem at meals.

My gf also said at one point they both trilled at eachother which I hate that I missed out! Nugget never makes noises other than purring so I wanted to hear him trill.

Babypinkweeb

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I know most won't care but I'd like to make an update, just for myself. Hopefully this isn't spam!

Nugget has had his vet visit and looks like we will push back free roam as he has a mild ear infection so I have to give him drops for 2 weeks with a follow up appointment. Other than that he has a couple of sneezes per day but since the vet didn't seem concerned I hope it's just related to the ear thing. He doesn't have snot and doesn't seem sicker than before. Good news is that other than that he's still in good spirits and plays like crazy at night with us. Poor guy got so scared he scrunched behind the toilet when we got home but he crawled out after I sat with him and he let me pet him.

He seems more and more eager to break free of his area these days, sometimes coming over and staring out at what we are doing. Boogie has been on and off with his interest with Nugget, which I assume is good as there hasn't been anymore negative interactions. They are more active in the evening, playing some kind of footsies every night. Boogie seems to be learning to be softer with his smacks. Sometimes when one of them is disinterested, the other reaches thru and pokes the other ones chest or body, is that to try and engage the other cat's attention or maybe feeling playful?

Nugget really seems to take to Boogie, often times will jump off his bed and come by the gate if he spots Boogie nearby, even if the attention might be one sided. Boogie has 3 meals a day while Nugget has 2, and I've noticed he likes to come out when Boogie is having is mid day meal, so I've reduced a portion of Nugget's meals to give him a midday meal as well so they can have more time together.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Awww... poor Nugget. Vet visits are scary for our kitties. Sorry he has an ear infection, but good that you've got meds for him.

As for the introductions, sounds like things are continuing to go well.

Keep us updated on their progress, as it is not spam. ;)