My cat isn't eating anything

Fia

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
First of all, hello everyone hope you're having a good day, Now the problem with my cat is that he usually goes out and he ran away again. Now that he came back, he looks really scared and is panting a lot. He won't eat anything or drink any water. He is 5 years old now, I checked some articles here and now I'm making this thread. It's pretty hot out here so maybe it's because of that but it's still confusing me.

This is making me really stressed and worried for him so if you come across this then please respond. I tried to give him some yogurt and he did eat it then tried some cat food. He was really moody but still ate it. Now he is just meowing going around here and there. Still he didn't drink any water.
:(

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It sounds as if he has had some sort of scare whilst outside. How long has he been back home?
Try dipping your finger in water and wet his lips or better still syringe some into him if you can. Keep offering him water, put a bowl in front of him wherever he settles. If he still refuses food and water then I suggest calling your vet but hopefully he will calm down soon and start to eat and drink. Keep us updated.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A cat will, sometimes, skip a day but they shouldn't go for more than two days without eating or drinking.

If your cat hasn't eaten for more than 48 hours, you should probably call a vet as soon as you can.

Same thing goes for the litter box. A cat can skip a day but not two.

Keep a close watch on his food bowl AND litter box. If he hasn't touched his food or made a deposit in the box, you've got a problem brewing and it's time to call a vet.

I agree with V verna davies . It sound like your kitty had a close call while he was out, roaming around.
He might have had a run-in with a wild animal or, maybe he tangled with a neighborhood dog. It's even possible that some A-hole human did something bad.

I would check him over, really well, for injuries... cuts, scratches, bites or other things. If you find anything out of the ordinary or, if he shows any signs of pain or agitation while you examine him, call the vet.

If he did have a run-in with an animal, there is the distinct possibility of catching rabies or some other disease.
Even if he's been vaccinated against rabies, this still classifies as a problem you need to contact a vet about.

Give him a day or so to calm down. If he starts eating and using his box, you can relax a little bit but still keep an eye on him.

It might take a week or two for him to settle back into his usual routine. During that time, I suggest keeping him indoors, 24/7.
You don't want him to get into trouble again. The first time, he may have been lucky but, the next time, it might not go so well.

Further, you'll want to keep him close-by so you can keep an eye on him in case of problems.

If all this happened because of a little scare, he'll need time to calm down and get back to his normal self.
Just give him some time and do your best to keep him calm.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yes, please update us. And, additionally, how long was he gone? We can't really tell how long he has gone without eating until we know that. It makes a HUGE difference.