My cat is very unwell

Ashleigh foster

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My oldest cat gave birth 3 weeks ago to healthy kittens but I have noticed that the mother has a lump In her stomach it wasn’t that big but today I noticed it got really big and it looks like she’s pregnant again which she cannot be cause she hasn’t been outside and near any male cats, earlier today I was watching her poo and I noticed blood in her stool, she was eating fine until I tried to
worm her and she wouldn’t eat it, she’s normally never like that she always eats her food and is alway trying to eat my food.. I really worried that she might have cancer or something like that I currently can’t take her to the vet I’m very busy and my partner is working away from home, if you can give me any advice that would be great

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree. This is an emergency. It is possible her uterus is infected, but it could be something else. She likely has fever and feels awful. She really must see a vet for diagnosis and treatment. This is not a home remedy situation. She needs immediate medical attention. You may lose her otherwise. Please keep us posted!

A Ashleigh foster

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
My oldest cat gave birth 3 weeks ago to healthy kittens but I have noticed that the mother has a lump In her stomach it wasn’t that big but today I noticed it got really big and it looks like she’s pregnant again which she cannot be cause she hasn’t been outside and near any male cats, earlier today I was watching her poo and I noticed blood in her stool, she was eating fine until I tried to
worm her and she wouldn’t eat it, she’s normally never like that she always eats her food and is alway trying to eat my food.. I really worried that she might have cancer or something like that I currently can’t take her to the vet I’m very busy and my partner is working away from home, if you can give me any advice that would be great
Try to get help from some neigbour... At least with transportation and such. OR minding your kids whatever hinders you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ashleigh foster

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I do have another question I’m not having any luck with cats, but my other cat who is pregnant gave birth to one kitten when I wasnt home and I can feel more kittens in there they are moving around and everything but she hasn’t had them yet, the kitten that she gave birth to is reallly small compared to my other cats kittens, the kitten also. Isn’t latching on to the nipple and wont take anything from a syringe. Can you please give me any advice On what to do, can cats give birth to just one kitten like an early birth?

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Cats can mate with more than one tom, so having kittens or different ages in one litter isn't unheard of. As long as the cat is panting or straining and doesn't seem to be in active labor she may give birth to the rest of the kittens soon.

Cats can have premature kittens too. How does this kitten look? Is he fully covered in fur? Does he look fully developed to you? I'm sorry to tell you this, but premature kittens rarely survive.

Here are some articles that may help you.

Premature Kittens – TheCatSite Articles

Hand Rearing Kittens: What You Need To Know To Save A Newborn’s Life – TheCatSite Articles

To be honest I'm very concerned that you have two cats that have been allowed to mate and have kittens so close together. It doesn't sound like either pregnancy went well. Are you able to get these cats to the vet?

If you are not able to care for kittens properly or get your cats the medical care they need then it is essential that you have them spayed. Taking care of kittens is very expensive and time consuming. You don't want to keep having your heart broken when the kittens die or you see your cats suffering.

Please let us know which city you live in and we will help you find a low cost spay clinic

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ashleigh foster

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
the kitten doesn’t look developed properly to be its really small but ill post a photo so you can have a look

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The vet can tube feed the kitten until it is able to take milk through a syringe. In the meantime, apply honey or Karo syrup to its gums for quick energy. Then, gently put one drop of milk in the side of its mouth using a tiny syringe and let it swallow. If that goes well, put another drop, and so on. Otherwise have the kitten euthanized as it will die a painful death from starvation.

Your cat will have her other kittens when they and her body are ready.

Also, how is the health of your other cat who had a lump in her stomach and bloody stool? How are her kittens doing? Has she seen a vet yet?

A Ashleigh foster