My Cat Is Too Stupid To Eat

crankydave

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm not exaggerating. I'm not joking. You can see his eyes glaze over while he's chewing, and then he stops and wanders off. He then starts yowling in hunger because his wet food has gone dry. Why not give him dry food, you say? Because it doesn't register as food in his broken cat brain. He sniffs at it, then walks off, as if saying "I want *food*. This isn't *food*, this is food! Bring me *food*!"

This isn't cute anymore. I can't go anywhere because this fuzzy ball and chain is the complete opposite of self-sufficient. My other cats are normal. Not this one. How do I train an animal with the attention span of a ferret on crack to eat a full meal so I can leave the house for longer than half a day without worrying that the idiot is starving to death?

KatsPurrrsians

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Has he always been like this or is this a new devolpment? Either way you may want to have him checked by a vet? There could be a medical reason for this behavior.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Has he always been like this or is this a new devolpment? Either way you may want to have him checked by a vet? There could be a medical reason for this behavior.
:yeah: This may very well be a medical issue. A couple of things spring to mind - it could be that it's hurting him to eat because of mouth/dental problems, or it might be a sign of feline dementia (especially if he's a senior cat).
Health Concerns In Aging Cats

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree. He might be sick or he might not like his food. My cats will starve themselves if they don't like their food, either the brand, flavor, or texture.

ileen

with Luciano since 12/5/16
Super Cat
Purraise
Is he losing weight? Does he drink water? If it's no to the first and yes to the second, don't worry about leaving him, but I agree with the others you should get him checked out.

sprinkle

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You should try raw Venison. Primal or Rad Cat. (Rad is better but more expensive)

My cat doesn't like any raw flavor except Venison. Also, Royal Canin is very palatable.

catinfo.org has tips to get picky cats to eat. Just scroll down the page & you'll see a like table of contents. 4th from the bottom is "Tips to Transitioning".