My cat is suddenly very hungry and pulling out her fur and itching

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't have much to offer, but did want to point out that with the things going on with Mumu her kidney function/levels might have been impacted, and more frequent hydration could help - maybe even reduce her numbers closer to normal. Have you considered getting the vet to teach you how to do sub-q fluids at home (less trips to the vet and a lower, but more often, amount of liquid getting into her). I know there are a number of members on this site who have administered sub-q fluids at home and didn't really have a hard time mastering it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

WMM201

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry your kitty has had a rough one! Do you know what her allergies are? My cat does some overgrooming I thought was stress but now I'm suspecting a food allergy. Have you tried switching foods?
We haven't switched foods on her yet, especially since she might have pancreatitis (tests haven't come back yet) and she has this one bad kidney test. We're just focusing on getting her to eat whatever she wants for now. I think her allergies are mainly environmental, but I think I'm going to try to stop rotating different flavors of food for her once she's back to normal. Maybe that will show some kind of difference. She's still on the last two doses of the steroid weaning now, so her itching is controlled. I just can't bear if her hair pulling comes back! I also wonder if stomach or other pain (bladder??) might have triggered her hair pulling, given the recent test results and bout of food refusal.

WMM201

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't have much to offer, but did want to point out that with the things going on with Mumu her kidney function/levels might have been impacted, and more frequent hydration could help - maybe even reduce her numbers closer to normal. Have you considered getting the vet to teach you how to do sub-q fluids at home (less trips to the vet and a lower, but more often, amount of liquid getting into her). I know there are a number of members on this site who have administered sub-q fluids at home and didn't really have a hard time mastering it.
FeebysOwner FeebysOwner I asked the vet about doing sub q at home, and I think if she still isn't properly hydrated in the next day or two, I'll have them show me how to do it. She definitely has been peeing a lot today, and not covering the pee. I syringed about a half ounce of water into her just now, but that's not anywhere close to the kind of hydration sub q fluids give her. :(

Hannah518

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We haven't switched foods on her yet, especially since she might have pancreatitis (tests haven't come back yet) and she has this one bad kidney test. We're just focusing on getting her to eat whatever she wants for now. I think her allergies are mainly environmental, but I think I'm going to try to stop rotating different flavors of food for her once she's back to normal. Maybe that will show some kind of difference. She's still on the last two doses of the steroid weaning now, so her itching is controlled. I just can't bear if her hair pulling comes back! I also wonder if stomach or other pain (bladder??) might have triggered her hair pulling, given the recent test results and bout of food refusal.
Cats sometimes pull the hair from where they feel pain, so it's possible. My cat has pulled his hair off his belly, hind legs, everywhere. That's why I suspected it to be anxiety or allergy.

WMM201

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Cats sometimes pull the hair from where they feel pain, so it's possible. My cat has pulled his hair off his belly, hind legs, everywhere. That's why I suspected it to be anxiety or allergy.
Hannah518 Hannah518 your poor cat. Mumu was pulling from her flanks/hips, front legs, tail, back legs. When I would try to stop or distract her, she wailed. I don't know what it is, but when she had seasonal allergies all spring and summer, she never, ever got this distressed or pulled fur. But my first thought was also allergies because she pulled from all over, too, and she's basically been indoors for a couple months without these problems. So maybe she does have a food allergy. Once her current kidney/stomach issue gets back to normal, and if she still itches after the steroids are over in two days despite her antihistamines, I'm going to ask her vet about at least trying an hypoallergenic diet. She probably won't eat it, since she's super fussy. We have to keep trying to find an answer for our sweet cats, don't we?

Hannah518

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hannah518 Hannah518 your poor cat. Mumu was pulling from her flanks/hips, front legs, tail, back legs. When I would try to stop or distract her, she wailed. I don't know what it is, but when she had seasonal allergies all spring and summer, she never, ever got this distressed or pulled fur. But my first thought was also allergies because she pulled from all over, too, and she's basically been indoors for a couple months without these problems. So maybe she does have a food allergy. Once her current kidney/stomach issue gets back to normal, and if she still itches after the steroids are over in two days despite her antihistamines, I'm going to ask her vet about at least trying an hypoallergenic diet. She probably won't eat it, since she's super fussy. We have to keep trying to find an answer for our sweet cats, don't we?
That we do! My cats are super fussy as they age. The wet food that’s usually prescription has a texture they hate. Their favorite is the Sheba perfect portions probably because it is so fluffy. It’s the only one they consistently eat haha. But I’ve been to Petsmart so many times I went to another location because I was embarrassed for returning so much haha. What we do.
Hope your kitty feels better!!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unless you physically see fleas on her, definitely stop the Revolution. I had a cat lose all of it's fur due to a reaction. To use it prophylactically can cause reactions with other meds not to mention reaction on her body systems. It trully sounds like an allergic reation to antibiotics, etc., kidney problems can also cause severe skin itching, i have seen it in humans. The steroids are good at controlling things like this, all the luck!

Pouncecat1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would try a kidney disease diet that has limited ingredients or a novel protein. If this is a food allergy, that should help in addition to the steroids.

WMM201

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That we do! My cats are super fussy as they age. The wet food that’s usually prescription has a texture they hate. Their favorite is the Sheba perfect portions probably because it is so fluffy. It’s the only one they consistently eat haha. But I’ve been to Petsmart so many times I went to another location because I was embarrassed for returning so much haha. What we do.
Hope your kitty feels better!!
I have done my share of returns at Petsmart, too! Mumu has finally started eating normally after more fluids and Cerenia a couple of days ago. When she was really not eating, the only food I could get her to even lick was the Weruva Cats in the Kitchen slide and serve pate in the Meowiss Bueller chicken, lamb, and tuna flavor. It is very fluffy and has a lot of water content. Maybe that's another to try for your kitty, if the ingredients aren't allergenic for him. Of course, it would be a pricey food that my cat would eat, right? Mumu is on her last dose of steroids today. She is on chlorpheniramine, too. I hope the itching doesn't return after today. The vet thinks I am crazy, probably, and overly concerned, but when all these things happen at once and you see the kitty in such discomfort, I just want answers and something to help them right now. I hope your cat will find something to help, too!

WMM201

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Unless you physically see fleas on her, definitely stop the Revolution. I had a cat lose all of it's fur due to a reaction. To use it prophylactically can cause reactions with other meds not to mention reaction on her body systems. It trully sounds like an allergic reation to antibiotics, etc., kidney problems can also cause severe skin itching, i have seen it in humans. The steroids are good at controlling things like this, all the luck!
The vet is asking Mumu to come back in a couple weeks to do a follow up on her kidney levels. I am hoping that it will come back normal, now that she is eating again. But I also wondered whether that fur pulling was caused by a kidney problem when I first got those results back. Since steroids might be bad for her kidneys, I am not sure if the vet would want to keep her on it long term. That's if her fur pulling comes back, after her last dose of prednisolone today. She is actually due for Revolution tomorrow, but I may hold off for a week or so. She has been on it for three years without reactions, though, and a couple months from the same package without any issues. And she does go outside (supervised), so I don't want her to be unprotected. But giving her body a break from one more medicine for a bit might be a good idea.

WMM201

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would not be rotating diets at this point because then you may never find out what allergy she is reacting too.
Definitely planning on keeping things as they are as long as she is eating. I think once she gets back to her routine, we can think about that diet change to helpayne a couple of her chronic issue. But, if she starts itching or stops eating again, I am going to ask the vet more seriously about that kidney diet. Of course, I don't want to switch her food when she is not feeling good, because I don't want her to associate the food with bad stuff. We're going to wait and see for now and just hope she doesn't revert.

Hannah518

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have done my share of returns at Petsmart, too! Mumu has finally started eating normally after more fluids and Cerenia a couple of days ago. When she was really not eating, the only food I could get her to even lick was the Weruva Cats in the Kitchen slide and serve pate in the Meowiss Bueller chicken, lamb, and tuna flavor. It is very fluffy and has a lot of water content. Maybe that's another to try for your kitty, if the ingredients aren't allergenic for him. Of course, it would be a pricey food that my cat would eat, right? Mumu is on her last dose of steroids today. She is on chlorpheniramine, too. I hope the itching doesn't return after today. The vet thinks I am crazy, probably, and overly concerned, but when all these things happen at once and you see the kitty in such discomfort, I just want answers and something to help them right now. I hope your cat will find something to help, too!
Aw I may try those! Thanks! :) Oh my gosh, I email my vet up to twice a day. I definitely sent chocolates because I felt so bad. But I feel like it's better to ask when something doesn't seem right instead of searching the internet and jumping to conclusions.

craftymelli

My Mom's kitty, I'm the sister😊
Young Cat
Purraise
My moms cat Sheba is on gabapentin for hyperthesia. She is an obsessive fur licker. So she is on Reconsile for her anxiety from her life before we got her from a shelter. She used to pull out hair when stressed or in pain. We had blood in the stool. Stress can cause that too. Its called stress colitis. So we give her probiotics for cats with a 2hr space in between meds so it does not lessen the meds effects. Now there is no more blood. She isnt pulling out fur. We had tried steroids but she became angry and aggitated. So we did not continue with steroids. She is doing great now though. I hope this info helps.

WMM201

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Aw I may try those! Thanks! :) Oh my gosh, I email my vet up to twice a day. I definitely sent chocolates because I felt so bad. But I feel like it's better to ask when something doesn't seem right instead of searching the internet and jumping to conclusions.
Agreed!!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Unless you physically see fleas on her, definitely stop the Revolution. I had a cat lose all of it's fur due to a reaction. To use it prophylactically can cause reactions with other meds not to mention reaction on her body systems.
I was wondering about this, and wanted to suggest it as well. I would suggest a longer time without it.

WMM201

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was wondering about this, and wanted to suggest it as well. I would suggest a longer time without it.
I will delay for a week, since she had her last dose of steroids today, too. I think without both of those, if the itching comes back, maybe we can rule out something. But I sure hope the itching doesn't come back!

WMM201

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I will delay for a week, since she had her last dose of steroids today, too. I think without both of those, if the itching comes back, maybe we can rule out something. But I sure hope the itching doesn't come back!
At least a week.