My Cat Is Suddenly Acting Pretty Startled.

SorenLikesCats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey everyone. I just made an account. I have been wanting to for a while but today I really needed too. So long story short, we found a momma cat in March living in a dumpster. We took her home, called her Petunia, couple weeks later it turns out she's pregnant. She had 4 kittens (she was about a year or so old when we found her, so first litter most likely). Two have been adopted out together, and we still have two right now. We also have my little boy Mr. Pickles, he was a feral cat (we think he was taken away by a bird after a loud commotion woke us up) and we found him hiding on our front porch at only a month old. That was last year June 2016. We also have two pomerainian dogs and a beta fish if that has any other backround info. He has been very happy to have kittens and another cat to play with. Though, the other day, my sister got in a car accident, but luckily was fine, and when we got home after picking her up from the hospital, cats had pushed bags of clothes into a near perfect circle/oval. Not sure if that is related or anything just backround info. Today we came home after school and found many things on the floor. From a box of brownie mix on the floor upright, a ceramic rooster "statue" thing of ours laying down shattered on the table, garbage bag taken down, and a chair usually in our kitchen in falling position underneath a table behind the couch. The chair was cocked up on a beam that connected to the table legs. We couldn't find Picky and eventually while practicing piano, we heard him meowing longingfully underneath the TV. The TV is mounted on a shelf filled with video games. There is a small bottom opening, he must've gone back and went in there to sit under it idk why though. We lifted it and got him out. He was very scared and timid. We later couldn't find him again underneath it, now its blocked off. Is this normal behaviour for a flame point ragdoll? We suspect he got caught on something and a big commontion happened while we were gone. Later on we also found an empty can of cat wet food with the lid sitting beside the couch. Odd. He is neutered, the mom cat is spayed, and the two kittens are not spayed or neutered (have to wait 1 month, they are 5 months old). I hope he is fine and just having a weird phase. Thanks all.

-Soren.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How very very odd! But whatever happened while you were gone, it frightened him. He should be ok with time, but I'm going to give you the links to a couple of articles that explain how to help him get over it.

10 Must-know Tips For Happy Living With A Shy Cat
16 Top Cat Experts Share Tips For Dealing With Timid Cats
How To Get A Cat To Come Out Of Hiding?

And welcome to you and your cats, now that you are officially one of us! If you haven't done it already, click on this link
New Cats on the Block and introduce yourself and your cats. Photos are VERY welcome...almost insisted upon, actually! We can't get enough of adorable cats, and they are all adorable!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SorenLikesCats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How very very odd! But whatever happened while you were gone, it frightened him. He should be ok with time, but I'm going to give you the links to a couple of articles that explain how to help him get over it.

10 Must-know Tips For Happy Living With A Shy Cat
16 Top Cat Experts Share Tips For Dealing With Timid Cats
How To Get A Cat To Come Out Of Hiding?

And welcome to you and your cats, now that you are officially one of us! If you haven't done it already, click on this link
New Cats on the Block and introduce yourself and your cats. Photos are VERY welcome...almost insisted upon, actually! We can't get enough of adorable cats, and they are all adorable!
Thanks very much! Ill post new cats on the block once I can get a good picture of them all haha! He is already doing much better, not hiding or running. He does get very scared every once and a while. Another supporting theory for why he was lost by his mom was a bird. Where we live, owls, hawks, eagles, ravens, magpies, you name it live here. Once my dad pt on a big cost and in the mist he lifted it up, and it sorta looked like wings, and picky went crazy. Wouldnt come out for two days. Im sure something just scared him, he hisses at the wierdest things (probably cuz he was feril), including vacuums, water bowls, packages, pianos. All of it haha.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome :) I would add that giving him an up high hiding place might be appreciated. That way he can hide & be out of reach from the dogs. My calmer cat has a hiding spot on top of my dresser. My other cat/punk has a hiding spot on top of my TV cabinet. He gets up there using his cat tree. I pretend like I can't see him behind the plants/decorations I have lined up on the edge. There he is in his hiding spot annoyed I put a cape on him. IMG_5640.JPG

SorenLikesCats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Welcome :) I would add that giving him an up high hiding place might be appreciated. That way he can hide & be out of reach from the dogs. My calmer cat has a hiding spot on top of my dresser. My other cat/punk has a hiding spot on top of my TV cabinet. He gets up there using his cat tree. I pretend like I can't see him behind the plants/decorations I have lined up on the edge. There he is in his hiding spot annoyed I put a cape on him. View attachment 201103
Oohh. Ill probably for sure setup some other little spots. We have three little decorations. One cat tree he had a long time ago before the kittens were here, a cat hammock also before the kittens were here, and now another tree with the kittens here. The kittens use the tree we got for them, but they also stole his two decorations, which may be why he isn't quite acting normal (though they have been in his spot a while now), he is for sure doing better though. He still likes to go and sit behind a different TV than he was stuck under. Its like a big cabinet with the TV in there and he sits either behind it or under it (this one he can easily get in and out of. Funny thing is, he usually is messing with the dogs haha. He weighs about as much as they do combined and likes to jump over them and poke at them.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sounds like he did have a run-in with a raptor at some point. It takes time for ferals to really lose that wild, and many never do completely. He's coming right along, though!

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Don't forget to let us know how he's doing once in a while, even when he's back to normal!

SorenLikesCats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I promise! I still need to post my get to know you:crazy:

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I was out Sunday and yesterday...I'll take a peek at the New Cats thread and see if I see you yet!