My cat is stressed

CatDaddyOf3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
FireplaceMax.jpg

I am getting desperate. Max is a little over a year old. He is still skittish. He recently had blockage removed and I am afraid if he continues to be in this stress state, the crystals may come back. Has anyone used Rescue Remedy for their cats to calm down. I have used calming sprays and now in have pheromone diffuser's throughout the house. One female cat that I have used to be buddies with him but since he got sick, she seems to not like him anymore. I read if a cat is sick they put off an aroma which other cats recognize. He is currently on hills science C/D. I have given him more moist canned food plus I’ve also bought a fountain which seems to be enticing him to drink a little more.  I am also thinking that maybe he would be better in a home by himself. Please help! Thanks.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Can you give us more information? How long have you had Max? When you say recently had a blockage removed, how recently? Other than a dietary change, was Max given any meds, and if so, what were they? And, does his trip to the vet coincide with when your female started to act like she doesn't like him anymore? When Max came home from the vet, he more than likely smelled differently, and your female is treating him as someone she no longer knows - called non-recognition. Meds can also give a cat a different smell too, resulting in non-recognition. And, yes if he is still sick, that too could affect her behavior toward him.

If they got along before, they can get along again. Hill's C/D comes in canned too, and if you are not feeding him that, I would recommend that you do so. No harm in trying the Rescue Remedy to see if it helps any. There are other calming products to try as well. If the vet thinks this is related to cystitis, many of the cases do turn out to be stress related, but there are likely genetics at play here as well, given his young age. Enrichment is a big key to alleviating stress.

In the meantime, here are some articles that might help you figure out how to mend the relationship between Max and your female cat.
How To Deal With Non-recognition Aggression In Cats
Feline Idiopathic Cystitis – How To Improve Your Cat’s Quality Of Life

Looking forward to hearing more about Max and what is going on! I also hope other members will come along soon and offer some helpful tips!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CatDaddyOf3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have had Max for a little of 1 year. He was wetting outside the litter box and it was recommended I take him to the Vet because it could be medical so I took him on 5/19/20. The Vet said he had a bladder infection which they gave him fluids and said there were no stones. He did have blood in his urine. They sent him home with antibiotics and the next the Vet called me with the blood results and said there were no crystals in the urine and to bring him back in 10 days. He was continuing to have accidents in between appointments. Between these visits, him and the other female cat were fine. I took him back on 5/29/20 and the Vet said there is still a little blood so they took more samples. When I brought him home, there just seemed something odd about him and I figured he was scared. Around midnight that evening I was woken by the sounds of puking, which I found Max throwing up. I figured he had eaten too fast earlier. As I was cleaning up the mess, he puked again, this time I knew there was something wrong. He finally went to sleep and when the Vet called that morning I mentioned that to him and his response was "sometimes cats have a reaction to the antibiotics and upsets their stomach." The results of the blood work was blood and crystal in the urine. This was about the time that both of my female cats started distancing themselves from him. Throughout the day he through a few more times. Sunday was the same but he started looking a little lethargic. I should have taken him to the Emergency but I figured the Dr knew what he was talking about. Late Sunday night I was woken up by a loud squalling sound and found Max in the bathroom trying to throw up but nothing but slime came out. I stayed up with him rest of the night trying to put drops of water in his mouth. As soon as the Vet opened I called them and went that day. The Vet said he has blockage and his bladder was. I left him there to have the surgery and I went back a few hours later to get the results and his kidney levels were sky high. He came home on 6/3/20 and his kidney levels returned to normal. They gave him some more antibiotics and pain killer called buprenorphine. He was back up and walking around and eating but occasionally having accidents. Today he seems almost normal and the other cats seem to tolerate him a little more but there a still those few accidents. He is somewhat skittish at times. He has another appointment next week to see how he is doing. There it is...I think I told you everything. Thanks for any help or advice that you can provide.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thanks for the additional info and update. He does need to be seen regularly by a vet, as it would seem there is an issue that needs to be monitored often. I would consider getting another vet from a totally different practice to review his records (you have a right to get copies of all of his records to share with another vet - reduces redundant costs and tests to do so). You might also ask about one who specializes in urinary issues. This cat is too young not to have some genetic issue going on, IMO.

Antibiotics can upset a cat's stomach, so the best approach is to ensure he eats food with every pill (if that is how he is being treated).

For each time he has to be taken to the vets, follow the recommendations in the article above about how to avoid the non-recognition issues.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CatDaddyOf3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you very much for the information. I will look over those articles.