My Cat Is Staining My Carpet--With Her Poop!

cats--always

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey guys, I'm a bit perplexed by my little (or big) Yachana. After she uses the kitty lavatory, she rubs her rear end on my carpet and leaves poop stains. I read that long haired cats, especially Persians, may get their poop stuck on the hairs of the rear-end and feel dirty (thus they rub their behind on the carpet).

I needed to bring her to the groomer anyway, so I gave her a lion trim. There was no hair at all near her rear--and that lion trim is the most adorable. For three days she did not rub her behind on my carpet. But on the fourth day she did, and then again...and then today. I'm not sure what's causing this, the only other thing that comes to mind is parasites. I've tried to see her rear end and saw nothing, but that doesn't mean she doesn't have it.

I really don't want her to keep putting poop on my carpet, it's really disgusting. Is there any suggestions? Any other cause? Is this a sign of a greater, more serious issue? And how do I go about in ending this poop-stained carpet problem?

I really appreciate all your responses.

chromium blues

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Her anal glands may be bothering her. Some groomers are able to empty anal glands if they need it, but the veterinarian can certainly do it for her.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cats--always

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you Chromium Blues for your response! Do you know what causes irritation to the anal glands?

chromium blues

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The cat's anal sacs are supposed to empty when the cat evacuates the bowels. When they are not emptied, they become irritated. Sometimes adding fibre to the cat's diet can help, as the added fibre will bulk up the stool and put enough pressure on the sacs to empty them at the appropriate time. The average fibre content for cat food seems to be between three and four percent, but some of the grain-free options are only around one and a half to two percent. Some hairball and lower calorie diets have fibre around six or seven percent - or as high as twelve percent. The best thing would be to find out, first, if that's what's causing the irritation, have the anal sacs emptied, and go from there. If you're feeding an all canned diet, you can add pumpkin (pureed or dehydrated) or sweet potatoes to add some extra fibre. If you're feeding mainly dry food, perhaps a change in recipe is in order.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cats--always

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much Chromium Blues!! I really appreciate it!