My cat is spending all her time outside!

aliceruby22

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi guys, so I've just joined this forum to ask this one question that has been bothering me now for a few weeks. I have a four year old cat named Cleo who has recently started spending all her time outside, sitting in the same spot on a shed next to my house. She doesn't come in to sleep, rarely comes in to eat, sits there through sun and rain. We have lived in this flat for about two years and she has been happily coming in and out, lounging with us indoors asking for food, now it's totally different. At night I call and call for her, rattle a box of treats, jingle my keys around all things that would get her indoors before but nothing and night after night I'm forced to leave her outdoors. She's doesn't come for food in the morning, sometimes I leave a bowl outside my front door but who knows if she eats any of the food or a roaming fox! If she's happy with this new life of living on the shed then as long as she's happy I am, but it's just very strange there being such a marked change in her behaviour. Anyway, hope someone can shed some light on my little problem. Thanks! Alice

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I recommend you take her to the vet. Any change in behavior like this can indicate illness. Especially if she isn't eating. Let us know what you find out.

dahlia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I agree that you should take her to the vet.  This seems like an extreme change in behavior.  Some cats obviously enjoy spending more time outside when the weather is nice but this sounds like it goes beyond wanting to be outside a little bit more.  Is she still grooming herself?  Does she seem to be loosing weight?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

aliceruby22

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi guys! So I had the appointment today with the vet after capturing her last night! The vet checked her out and said all the vital things are fine, heart, lungs, bladder, digestive system etc. and her weight was the same as normal so she hasn't lost weight. I explained all the strange behaviour and she said she thought it sounded like either one of two things. Either, something has happened inside the house that I am unaware of that has scared her so she doesn't want to be inside, OR one of the neighbours has been feeding her elsewhere, so she's trying to sit in the middle of the two "safe" spaces trying to patrol both. Since she's been out she has groomed her tummy so much the fur was very thinned out on her tummy and she's got dermatitis. So she gave her a steroid and an antibiotic injection and I have another appointment in two weeks, and until then I've been told to keep her indoors. The vet was fantastic, really lovely and gentle and gave me lots of great advice.

dahlia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am so glad to hear that she is ok and it sounds like your vet is wonderful and had some good ideas.  I hope she reverts back to her normal behavior.

mikew

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am so glad to hear that she is ok and it sounds like your vet is wonderful and had some good ideas.  I hope she reverts back to her normal behavior.
We have a cat with a similar problem.we have two cats and both have treated,for fleas recently. Our house has been invaded recently by builders and we had a blocked sewer as well last week.
She comes first thing in the morning for food and throughout the day. Maybe these invasions over the past month have caused the change in behaviour?.She has a skin problem caused by the fleas.As mentioned she has been to the vet in the past week and is being treated every month for fleas along with The other cat.