My cat is so attached to me lately

apulze

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I adopted my cat when she was about 3 months old and she is now a year and 9 months old. She has been very attached to me lately. Although my parents and siblings live in this house, I am basically my cat's master. She loves me the most and she knows that I'm her owner. She's usually around me a lot, but lately she has been extremely attached to me. I absolutely love her, but she doesn't leave my side. Every time I go to my room (which is on the second floor of the house) she sprints upstairs as soon as I get on the first step of the stairs. She beats me to my room and waits at my door to force herself in. Most of the doors in our house are kept closed, just because my cat will usually mess with many things we have in our rooms. For example, I cannot let her in my room without me being present in there because I have many wires for my computer, gaming console, phone charger etc. I even have an led strip light and she has tried to chew those before. I know that I can use that biter spray on the wires but I have tried that on other wires in the house and I simply just dont want that used on my wires.

Anyways, I sometimes let her in my room, but all she does is goes under my bed. Im not sure why but every single time she's in my room, she just hides under the bed. If I try to grab her, she backs away. I try putting her on my bed or somewhere else thats comfy in my room, but she always goes under the bed and doesn't come out unless I get a treat or toy. I dont always use treats because I dont want her to think it's rewarding to go under the bed. 

My question is why is she so attached to me and follows me everywhere around the house, but when she's in my room she just hides under the bed? I've tried many things like using aluminum foil under my bed to keep her out and it doesn't work. It's not a big deal that she goes under there, but if I want to leave my room, she might try to sneak out from under the bed while im gone to chew my wires. And I hate having to get her out from under there every time. If I lock her out of my room, she just cries outside the door and sticks her paws under the door. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

apulze

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes she is fixed.

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes she is fixed.
I asked because I was thinking maybe she's hormonal.

Re-reading your OP, I would imagine she hides under the bed because she wants to stay in the room with you. But why she has gotten so attached to you I do not know. Is there anyone or anything in the house that is making her fearful when you are not around?

apulze

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh okay that would make sense. No there is nothing fearful in my house, it's actually very peaceful here. There aren't any children or other pets either. My cat has loved going under beds since we've gotten her. Is there any way I can get her to come out without bribing her with a treat or toy? She never hides when shes in the living room or anywhere else in the house. For example she could hide behind the couches but she doesnt. Although, she does go under the other beds throughout the house if she can.

One theory I have is that she is going under there so that she can stay in our rooms, since our doors are usually closed when were not in there. Therefore, if we want to get her out, she knows that we cant get to her and that shes safe.

Any suggestions?

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One theory I have is that she is going under there so that she can stay in our rooms, since our doors are usually closed when were not in there. Therefore, if we want to get her out, she knows that we cant get to her and that shes safe.
That's what I said in my previous post. Maybe leave her be & she will outgrow it? My cats are never allowed in my bedroom without my supervision - terrified they'll knock over my flat-screen TV so I totally get where you're coming from. When Looby Loo doesn't want to leave, she will hid under the bed too.

apulze

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That's understandable, thanks for the help.