My Cat Is Sick & I Am Worried & Frustrated

Molly and Abby

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Molly has impacted anal glands - so when she was going in & out of the Litter box 2 weeks ago, I thought that was the problem. So they vet expressed her anal glands. And she kept going in & out of the Litter box.

I called my vet, begging them to stay open because this in-and-out of Litter box was worrying me. (It had been going on & I thought she might have a UTI). So after taking Molly to the emergency vet, who took a clean urine sample & gave her an antibiotic shot, I expected her to get better.

But nope & to cut a long story short - the urine cultures came back negative for UTI.

It finally dawned on me it was urine but feces (not runny, but like little hard pieces) - so I took her in to the vet yesterday. They gave me prescription food & flagyll - after they took x-rays & ruled out kidney & bladder stones.

I am so worried she might have a terminal illness related to her bowels. It's so hard to get her to take flagyll.

Molly is 7 years & she's always been do healthy. She's never vomited (maybe a hairball once). But I've looked up IBD & I am worried.

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Flagyl is an anti-diarrheal. If her stools are little hard pieces (sounds more like constipation), why would the vet give her flagyl?

Maybe I am misunderstanding something?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Molly and Abby

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have no idea why the vet gave her flagyll. I brought in samples from the Litter box but he thought they were urine, not feces so he poo-pooed the poo-poo. It wasn't until the x-rays showed no bladder or kidney stones & the colon x-ray showed the feces in pieces, did the diagnosis turn away from UTI

So you can see why I am so frustrated & worried. I feel like I know more about what's troubling Molly than they do

Molly and Abby

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I switched her diet to the prescription cat food (canned & dry)

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
From my experience, it is easy to distinguish pee from poo in litter. I would be analyzing her litter box more closely. Pee appears as clumps of liquid in the litter, normal poo should appear as tootsie rolls, more or less. Check it and see what you find.

Molly and Abby

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah, it's poo, not pee. Molly's had x-rays - to rule out bladder & kidney stones. I saw the x-rays with my own eyes. And I saw her x ray of the colon.

No bladder or kidney stones. No UTI. But you can see on the x ray of the colon the little pieces of feces on the x-ray.

Like I said before, I've already gone down the UTI route. The emergency vet did a clean bladder draw & there was absolutely no bacteria infection. (no bacteria was cultured after 4 days).

I don't need to go rummage through the litter box since I've seen the x rays

Molly and Abby

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have no idea why the vet gave her flagyll. I brought in samples from the Litter box but he thought they were urine, not feces so he poo-pooed the poo-poo. It wasn't until the x-rays showed no bladder or kidney stones & the colon x-ray showed the feces in pieces, did the diagnosis turn away from UTI

So you can see why I am so frustrated & worried. I feel like I know more about what's troubling Molly than they do
Yeah - it does sound like constipation. The poops aren't runny - not in the least. More like a little pea. Which is unusual - since her feces have always been on the softer, smelly side (she has impacted anal glands).

By the way, she's an indoor only cat. I got her when she was 8 months & she's 7 years now. She weights 12.9 lbs - orange tabby girl.

Attachments

dkb817

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When my megacolon kitty would leave little round pieces of poo instead of larger, fully formed ones, it was time to visit the vet for an enema as it usually meant she was super impacted and would strain enough to get a small chunk out but not the full thing.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like my Maggie's constipation. I've had some success with hairball treats, paste, or food.

Molly and Abby

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It sounds like my Maggie's constipation. I've had some success with hairball treats, paste, or food.
Could you provide some recommendations? I have the Cat laxative (petroleum jelly-like stuff in a tube).

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would add plain canned pumpkin puree to her wet food diet. Don't use pumplin pie filling, just plain canned pumpkin. You can also use plain squash baby food. Also since you're feeding her wet food, I would do that at least 2x a day and cut down on the dry food. Dry food can cause constipation problems.

RainBoots

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Miralax is also a safe, gentle option. It draws water into the colon to keep her stools from getting overdried. If your girl doesn't poo at least once every other day, she is definitely constipated.