My Cat Is Scared Of The Piano

tnbsp

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Gannicus is terrified of the piano... even if I just press a few keys lightly. I think he got really spooked by the piano tuner this week and last, when he came to fix it up.. you know it's really creepy sounding too and G hates men with boxes and tools and with shoes on.... .

Even before the tuner came, Gannicus would go as far away from the piano as possible when I was playing it, . but at least he was content and relaxing where he was and would be sleeping or relaxing.. just far from the noise, but Now, he is stressed.

Do you have any suggestions?
Should I let him keep hiding? (I've heard I shouldn't react to his nervous behavior...)
When he is panicked its impossible to get him to eat treats or anything.

It's odd because he only hates the piano when it is being played. Do you think it would help if when he is being more confident and playful I could try to press a key and give him a treat?

I feel guilty :(

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
Just as you described, after he's calmer, you could try your thought of pressing a key and giving a treat :)

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I would put the piano in the same category as the vacuum cleaner. Some cat are just terrified of the noise. You can try treats but I doubt they will work because he isnt going to come close to get them. I would just play whenever you choose and don’t pay attention to his reaction. In the long run he will be just fine.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. You could try playing piano recordings, at first very softly and then a little louder, etc. It's kind of like de-sensitizing training.

Or, place them in another room (get them used to the idea first) with all of their necessities.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is possible that the notes hurt his ears. Think of it, hitting metal strings making them vibrate. There are levels of sound we can't hear, or most of us can't that cats can. Dogs howl when they hear sirens to because the pitch of the sirens hurt their ears. That's why you can't teach them not howl, or at least not easily.

I'd say let him hide in a different room from the piano. I'd even make him a 'sound dampening' hiding place using cushions around a small cardboard box. I'd put a towel and a couple of his favorite toys in the box. That should protect his ears and let you continue to play.

You can't, well, I suppose you could, de-sensitize him to pain, but it would be a bit cruel, don't you think?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My bad. Wasn't meaning to try to be cruel to any cat. Just presuming that if the softer volume with various piano recordings didn't bother G, then it could be the loudness of the piano as opposed to the pitch that is the issue. If he runs for the hills with soft recordings, then you would have a pretty good indication it is the pitch of the music, and nothing short of giving him a place far away from the piano is going to be the answer.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think it hurts their ears. I have a regular upright piano upon which they play "Kitten on the Keys" with no issues and a coin-operated nickelodeon piano; they're terrified of that.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
From what V vince said and FeebysOwner FeebysOwner I think the individual piano may make the difference. There are probably subtle tonal and pitch differences we can't hear from piano to piano. Of maybe from cat to cat.

Not to be snarky, FeebysOwner FeebysOwner , and I'm certainly not an expert, but I expect there are differences in recorded music and 'direct' from the instrument. Just think about how the songs you love sound on the album and how they sound without the sound equipment muting and modulating them.

I love harpsichord music, but on some instruments I find it painful, on others I'm comfortable with it.

Or maybe the piano is just too loud for him.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
It could be the piano’s vibration that freaks her out more so than the sound itself. She might even be able to feel it in the floor.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Gannicus is terrified of the piano... even if I just press a few keys lightly.
You can try this to help him overcome it. Just carry him and walk around the piano. Bring him close and let him sniff at it. Do this a few times. He may struggle but just calmly tell him it's ok. After a few times, sit on the chair with him on your lap, holding him without striking any keys, let him sniff the keyboard. Again, telling him that it's ok, nothing to be afraid of. Once he's sort of gotten use to getting close to the pano, strike a note softly. And another note and another note while telling him it's ok. Repeat a few times over the day and days.

He maybe still be weary but at least he knows that the piano is not gonna eat him up. The next time you play, he might not come close but he'll watch from a safe distance. You won't be stressing him up after you've gone through the routine with him. Its natural that he behaves this way.

I do this to my boy every time I have a new gadget or come back from shopping. I'll leave the stuff in the open and let him explore. Just like the new vacuum cleaner I bought. I left it in the middle of the hall and he was weary of it and did not cone close to it. Then I keep moving the vacuum cleaner to different spot of the house so that he sees it wherever he goes. Finally, I carry him and bring him to the vacuum cleaner and let him sniff, which I do for every thing I do in the house. He lies to know what I'm holding in my hands and at the same time he feels weary. After that, I turn on the vacuum cleaner and off he goes, where? hiding of course :lol: because this is the first time he hears a loud sound coming out of the object. Subsequently, he's not so afraid but still keep a distance and watch me from afar while I vacuum the floor. When I come near him, he'll just switch place and watch from somewhere else. After everything is over, he's out checking out the vacuum cleaner and back to his his normal routine.

So, initially it will be a stress for them but after awhile, they know that there's not much they can do and knowing that the sound or noise is not gonna hurt them, they'll just stay away and observe.
So I don't think they are stressed though they may look stressed.