My cat is scared of something

supergirl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
hello,
My cat which is a 9 month, female, half Persian (spayed and vaccinated), is suddenly afraid of something, I don't know what's happening to her. 
for the past few days, my nieces have been here, they're ages 13, 8 and 2. The 13-year-old tried petting her but isn't too pushy, the 8-year-old keeps carrying her (which she doesn't like much). I had her and her 2 yr old sister feeding Cotton (my cat) on several occasions so she would like them. 
Last night, all of a sudden while I was lounging on the bed with the 13 yr old niece Netflixing, and Cotton was sitting between us, she suddenly started attacking my hands, I told her no, but she wouldn't stop till I took her off the bed twice. This isn't the first time she does it, I usually give her a toy instead and all goes fine, but didn't have a toy with me then. 

This morning she was ok, I took her out to the garden around the house to play as I often do and then I went inside to do some laundry and left her out. After an hour or so, I asked my 8 yr old niece to go check on her and she came back carrying her, said that the cat hurried in when she saw the door open. Now it's a bit hot outside, around 80-85 degrees. 
The weird thing is when my niece let her go, she went running and hid under my mother's bed, I took her out, carried her and was taking her to my room, she kept on moving in my arms, scratched me and even scratched my cheek, my arm has marks but thankfully my face doesn't. I took her to my room which is hers as well and sprayed the carpet in the middle of the room with anti-stress spray, her bed, my bed, my ottoman. But she just hid behind the bed. later I was going out and she wanted to go out too, but I didn't let her. Now I found her hiding behind the desk and took her out, put her on my bed, but she kind of panicked and looked at me like she's scared and ran off to behind the desk again. 

She keeps looking at the bed as if there's something scary about it!

I don't know if it's the heat, the too much people around, or could she be sick?

babysasha2016

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry I don't have an answer to your question but I just wanted to say your kitten is adorable!!

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The biting and attacking your hands sounds typical of a "teenage" 9-month old kitten.  Cats can be real brats from around 7 months until a few months after they turn a year old.

The hiding under the bed and desk, I suspect, is due to the stress of having the young children around...especially the 8-year old carrying her around when she doesn't like it.

KatKnapper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Beautiful kitty!  So, could you describe in more detail, the attacks to your hand?  Like is she "pouncing" them, trying to pummel them from getting away, or the investigative 1-2 punches?   Does her mood seem (if I may use the term) "froggy" (strung out on adrenaline and needing to vent) or was she combative or aggressive?  Also, do your nieces have a kitty or are they exposed to any other kitties?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You answered your own question, TOO MANY STRANGERS AROUND! Even if they are around often, it is still upsetting to a cat to have their peace and quiet suddenly disrupted. My cats stay hidden for most of the time when my grandson is around, and although he tries, like all children they move way too fast and are too loud, with scary shouts too. He would not let them alone and finally got scratched, now he respects them.  Don't let them pick up the cat unless you are there to supervise, they may squeeze her, or she may get hurt trying to get away. Have them play with her with a wand or toy mouse, but don't push her to do anything she doesn't want to do. She is frightened, so the 'attacks' will escalate if she doesn't find a little peace. Cats are not sociable like dogs, they need time and patience to come around. She will calm down when the house is back to normal, but for now I would encourage them to ignore her and let her approach them. Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

supergirl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello 

thanks for the replies everyone, KatKnapper, the attacks at my hands are like she's pouncing at them, she behaves like they're creatures of their own, something that is moving and she attacks it, kind of wrestles my hand/arm. 

after posting this, I tried offering her food, but she won't eat, I took her out from behind the desk and pet her tried to calm her, and she was fine, as I was leaving the room, she came with me and we roamed around, she was doing lovely, until my niece kept following her and then she started hiding again, I carried her to take her back to her room but she hissed at first and was upset. 

I put her in the room, she went to the bathroom and hid under the bathroom shelves, I left her for some time and then put her food bowl in front of her, she wouldn't eat at first but then ate when I gave it to her by hand. 

Now, after she slept there for several hours, she came out, hid again behind the desk, then came out on her own, but she won't go to her bed or my bed (where she normally sleeps). She's still staring at the wall behind it as if there's a monster, there's a wall light on one side and a bulb dangling where the other wall light should've been. There's something in the wall light scaring her, though its been there for weeks now. 

Could she have a neurological issue? What could a vet do to help diagnose and treat?

Thanks 

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't, and could not, tell you with 100% certainty that she doesn't have a neurological or medical problem....but she sounds like a normal 9-month old kitten with too many little kids bugging her.  Any possibility there may be a bug, lizard or mouse in the wall behind the dangling light fixture?