My cat is scared and hiding- what do I do?

Jawheel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My loving lap cat Kelso is almost 2 years old. He recently went missing for 2 weeks- I had to trap him and brought him inside. He is now acting wild and hiding behind our washer. He only comes out at night to eat . I am not able to check him to see if he was injured. I do not want to force him out. How long should I give him to feel safe again? Can anybody suggest how to get him to come to me so that I can check him for injuries? Should I withhold food to try to get him out to lure him with treats? I am very concerned- how long will he be so scared? Does he not remember me?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How long has he been back?

Do not withhold food, that rarely has a positive outcome with cats. For right now, sit on the floor near where he is hiding with a treat in your hand and either read or watch something. Just be there somewhat quietly so he can smell and hear you. He will come out when he is comfortable but that can take time.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jawheel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you- I will do that more. I have been reading to him some!)

Jawheel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He has been back for 4 days

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
When a cat has had a frightening experience they may be fearful of everything and everyone for a while. He probably isn’t hurt but I understand your concern and wanting to check him out. I assume he has food, water and a litterbox near his hiding spot. If not, move those there so he doesn’t have to go far to eat. And set up a camera if you can so you can see how he moves and looks when he comes out. If you Know he hasn’t eaten then you have no choice except to pull him out.

Assuming everything is okay on the eating and litterbox end I would leave him alone entirely except perhaps a once a day visit just to give him time to calm himself.

Jawheel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I do have a camera setup and can't see any thing alarming- he does look like a different cat and hear that isn't too unnormal. It's been 4 days he is home. I check on him at least twice a day spinning about 5 minutes at a time sometimes a little bit more reading to him for a minute. I'm just not sure if I'm pushing it by staying in there any longer than that?

Jawheel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am sure it's kelso- but understand what you mean

Sylvia Jones

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What did you mean when you said he looked like a different cat? I was driving home in my neighborhood once after a late night run to the store and saw one of my cats walking across a yard I stopped got out called his name He came right to me let me pet him while I fussed at him for sneaking out of the house Then I realized something about his face wasn’t right I was so imbaressed Thank goodness it was dark and nobody saw me trying to steal their cat! Still had to go straight and see my cat when I got home just to be sure So I know it can happen and it feels very strange HaHa!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I, also, am not trying to turn aside your concerns about Kelso, but I also once brought a cat home who was not mine. It involved ferals and the shocking thing was that in this story the "new" cat who was identical to the feral was much friendlier. However, the vet verified that it was not the cat I thought it was.

Jawheel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
When researching about the situation I seen several mentions that say it's common for cats that go lost in the wild will have it's looks change. Kelso's hair is not as fluffy- he is darker. But he has several small features I recognize. Poor baby was caught out in very bad thunderstorm and had lot of predators around. I think he is major traumatized. Do I interact do I leave him alone?? How long should I give him to calm- 1week ? Two?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
How To Get A Cat To Come Out Of Hiding? – TheCatSite Articles
How To Help An Abused Cat Recover – TheCatSite Articles

I completely understand that there was no abuse involved, but Kelso has been traumatized, so there may be some information that might help in the second article. Can you get him into a room of his own where he can feel safe? Getting him out from behind the washer would help but you may have to give him time even to do that.

My cousin lost her house in FL which was right on the beach in the hurricane that hit right before Katrina. She was at the market but the cat was in the house which was washed out to sea. The cat was found two weeks later in the sea grass on the beach, alive but very traumatized. It did revert to being a pet again, but spent a great deal of its life hiding and would go for cover at the slightest sound of a rumble, including a car driving by. You should probably try following the earlier suggestions of sitting near him on the floor, being very low key and let him decide that he is safe enough to come out. It might take a while if something really traumatizing happened to him.