My cat is refusing to finish her food after my vacation

SunshineKitten00

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
HI! So I went foe a week long vacation to see my sister's graduation and left my cat with my brother. I gave him all the feeding instructions and plenty wet food cans. BUT he somehow thought that the food ran out (they were inside the shipping box) and fed Kitten my dog's kibble (and also some human food like fish). He didn't ask me or anything, just kept giving her those food. Now I return to my cat now wanting to eat her food.

It's like she would wait until she's very hungry for her to eat her food. I usually feed her thrice a day but now she'll only eat at night or like as long as she can stretch the time. Approximately she eats half a can when she used to eat 1.5 can per day. It been going for almost 1 week now and I'm wondering should I wait it out or start mixing her food with something (I don't want her to be picky though because I don't have unlimited budget).

I'd like to add that:
- my cat still stayed in my house (my brother still live with my parents and I);
- she's familiar with brother (he would sometime feed her too); and
- she seems to have no problem with eating the dogs kibble or that one time I mixed dehydrated lungs to her food (I stopped this because I don't want her to be picky).

If anyone ever faced this problem before, please help me on how to solve this:) Thank you!

tiggerwillow

Meowmy to Tigger and (Queen) Willow
Super Cat
Purraise
Can you feed them separately so they both don't have access to each others food?

Have you offered different brands of cat food, so your cat gets the correct nutrition?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SunshineKitten00

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Can you feed them separately so they both don't have access to each others food?

Have you offered different brands of cat food, so your cat gets the correct nutrition?
I usually don't put their food long enough for this but I just realised someone have been feeding Kitten the dog's food without me knowing (literally just found out right now). I will ask them to stop (haven't figured out who) and monitor Kitten's behaviour.

For the second question I'm feeding her fancy feast (poultry and beef) which she used to licked clean. I can't really find other cheap and good brands here in my country as they don't import a lot of brands here.

I will update here tomorrow whether she'll reject her food or not. Thank you for replying!

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The number one goal is to prevent her access to the dog food. Once you can make sure of that consistently, then it appears she will go back to eating her cat food. Which she should definitely do, as dog food does not have the required nutrients necessary for felines!
Good luck!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Try a cat food kibble and see if that helps any. She may have decided she likes dry food due to eating the dog food. It isn't a permanent solution, but it could at least give her proper cat food and might help to steer her back to her regular food too, as if she will eat the dry cat food you can start using it as a topper to her wet food.

The key is worrying more about her nutrition and less about her becoming picky. Right now, it would seem she has already accomplished that. Over time you can try to transition her from the dry to all wet if that is what you want - again, by using the dry crunched up as a topper, starting with more and then reducing it over time.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

SunshineKitten00

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Back with updates!

I think she is picky. I relized that she will eat the wet food if the cat is open recently, more than that she seems to turn away from thwet food. I've been mixing her food with crumbled beef liver (very little amount) and she seems to like it more. I think if she's not going to eat her food without topping, I'll start adding chicken heart (extra taurine too)!

Thank you guys for the replies!