My cat is pregnant, should I take her to the vet?

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I am posting this on behalf of a new member, A Annie B

I’m pretty sure my cats is pregnant but is it worth taking her to the vets? She’s about 6 weeks in and I don’t know what to do! It’s really expensive and if all the signs are adding up to say she’s she’s pregnant is there any point in getting a second opinion or getting an x ray.I’m also worried because she is quite a small and young cat and if she only has one or two kittens could that put her in a dangerous situation. Please help I’m really worried!

She is a lot more affectionate and seems to be eating and drinking more we actually saw her mating with an un-neutered male cat around the end of February and she gets uncomfortable when we touch her belly. There is also noticeable weight gain and her nipples have started to ‘pink’ up a lot

She is only 11months old so I’m just worried because she is fairly small

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn’t at this point. If she is this far along a few more weeks will give you your answer and I think she is better off saving those dollars in case an emergency visit related to delivery is required. In all likelihood it won’t and even though she is young she will probably do fine with delivery and raising her kittens.

KittyJ

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't either unless something goes wrong. How much does she weigh? Even though she is young, she'll know what to do.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Check out our articles at the top of this forum. They are very helpful on what to expect!

I agree no vet visit is necessary, but do you plan to spay your cat after this litter weans? Do not let her outside at all until after she is spayed when the kittens are 8 weeks old. In the meantime, call around to check for a low cost spay clinic. My local SPCA runs one where I live. Give yours a call.

Annie B

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I wouldn't either unless something goes wrong. How much does she weigh? Even though she is young, she'll know what to do.
Check out our articles at the top of this forum. They are very helpful on what to expect!

I agree no vet visit is necessary, but do you plan to spay your cat after this litter weans? Do not let her outside at all until after she is spayed when the kittens are 8 weeks old. In the meantime, call around to check for a low cost spay clinic. My local SPCA runs one where I live. Give yours a call.
Ok will do

Annie B

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’ve got suitable for all life stages cat food is this ok or should I change to food which is just for kittens

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Kitten food is best. It has more nutrients and calories for pregnant and lactating moms, and later, for growing kittens. Mom returns to regular food about 2 weeks after she is spayed.

Annie B

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just doubled checked and the packet says suitable for pregnant and lactating cats if you double the amount should I do this or should I change the food completely it also says suitable for young kittens will it be ok if I wean them onto it

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I continue to believe that food specially formulated for kittens is best for pregnant and lactating cats, and later, kittens. Kitten food is dense with all the extra nutrients and calories needed by these special groups.