My cat is pregnant after a miscarriage ? Updated

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Adrieemarie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The placenta is the afterbirth :). So if she had one placenta for each kitten that's good.

She must not carry the dilute gene, or some of the kittens would be gray like the dad. Knowing his color makes it kind of easy---all the orange ones are boys. The black ones could be girls or boys, we'll sort that out later :D.
I know we have at least one girl, we have a black and white or orange color.

i have another question the father wants to come in badly And of course I’m not allowing it.

When would be a good time to have him around kittens if mama allows it?

Adrieemarie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Mama is well kittens all nursing the 6th one has trouble he latched but release it just this one nipple. (Maybe no milk?) he does seem like he found another to nurse. Mama is finally asleep. I have food, milk, water near her so she doesn’t have to go far. I feel another lump. She just started panting heavily again with visible contractions so I’m think we have 8. How the hell did they miss that in the X-ray? I was told 3. Maybe 4.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is the dad neutered now? I forget and don't want to go back to look, haha. If not, don't let him near her until he's been neutered for at least 2 weeks (3 might be better---sneaky sperm hiding in the tubes), or until after she's spayed.

As for the kittens, usually it's best not to let other adult cats near them until they're 6 weeks old or so, but if he's neutered and the mother likes him, he could probably come into the room to say hi now and then, although I'd watch him carefully to see how he interacts with the babies.

The way a cat's uterus goes makes hard to see kittens in an x-ray or ultrasound.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
If there is too many kittens for mom to handle you can contact a rescue organization and see if they have any females who can act as a wet nurse for the extra ones.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I once knew a 7-month-old kitten who had 7 in her first litter, and she and the kittens did just fine without any help. So she may be able to do it too. But that does make weighing them every day extra important, so you can identify who needs help before it's too late.

And, yeah, it might be a good idea to network with some rescue agencies to line up a wet nurse just in case.

Adrieemarie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is the dad neutered now? I forget and don't want to go back to look, haha. If not, don't let him near her until he's been neutered for at least 2 weeks (3 might be better---sneaky sperm hiding in the tubes), or until after she's spayed.

As for the kittens, usually it's best not to let other adult cats near them until they're 6 weeks old or so, but if he's neutered and the mother likes him, he could probably come into the room to say hi now and then, although I'd watch him carefully to see how he interacts with the babies.

The way a cat's uterus goes makes hard to see kittens in an x-ray or ultrasound.
He’ll get neutered the 4th so Thursday. She was interested in the male he ran in the room when I left but I caught before he got too close to her and the kittens. I’ll try to see if she’s okay with him saying hi after a day or so she’s so tired. I’m going to check on her in 30 minutes.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I suggest you not let the male in the room at all for now. He’s not yet neutered and mom hardly needs the distraction with all these babies. She needs rest and privacy, not visitors. Wait a few weeks.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tomorrow! Yep, he has to stay away from her for about 3 weeks now, to be safe. He can't give the vet a sperm test like men who have vasectomies can ;). And those sperm are definitely sneaky.

But at least by that time the babies will be big enough that the mom won't be as anxious about them.

Adrieemarie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Tomorrow! Yep, he has to stay away from her for about 3 weeks now, to be safe. He can't give the vet a sperm test like men who have vasectomies can ;). And those sperm are definitely sneaky.

But at least by that time the babies will be big enough that the mom won't be as anxious about them.
Thank you! And everyone else!! Who has help me during this journey.
I have a question, she had a lump it was visible and now it feels like it moved lower and not as noticeable. She’s purring but also breathing heavily as she did with labor she’s exhausted, I’m waiting couple more hours unless I feel it’s more serious before I call the vet or end up taking her to the walk in one (it’s just more pricey then the others)
The lump felt as big as her kittens are and the fact it got visibly bigger as time passed and now it’s not as noticeable and feels lower. Can it be a kitten? She did have 5 kittens within an hour or so together then about an hour and 15 minutes when had 6th and the 7th that wasn’t fully developed. So last kitten was around 1130 and it’s 140.

Adrieemarie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I suggest you not let the male in the room at all for now. He’s not yet neutered and mom hardly needs the distraction with all these babies. She needs rest and privacy, not visitors. Wait a few weeks.
Thank you. I’m waiting until they are older.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
No need to go to a vet. If there’s another kitten she will deliver it when it and her body are ready. Otherwise, cats have after pains and also a lumpy uterus for a few days until they heal. It could just be that.

Adrieemarie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How are things now?
All kittens are active and nursing, they are in and out of nursing and bating at the others. I found a miracle nipple they only had one. I bought it just in case. They are crying and mama is a little overwhelmed. When I walked thru the door she was trying to get up and she cried for me I had to hand feed her and water fed her I have to make fresh milk for her. All very active, one won’t let go of the nipple. (I didn’t try and take him off I’m just watching them.) letting mom do her thing. She’ll call for me again....maybe. Lol. I have a hide away bed it’s a good size because it’s for a dog, and have it set up next to her bed hoping she’ll move them on her own. She’s out in the open. And right at this minute she’s growling and cleaning herself..... so I’m going to check her out. She did kinda faint earlier, scared me. But she didn’t sleep last night.

Adrieemarie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I do have a question is this normal after birth?
Should I get a warm cloth to help clean her she tries but when she moves kittens cry and it’s overwhelming her. She stops licking them and herself...eyes get wide and one of them can’t seem to find a nipple but try’s to take one of the other kittens nipple they are on that’s why there’s pushing at each other and crying.

Attachments

Adrieemarie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
One more question how often do they nurse as newborns?

Adrieemarie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She cries everytime I go to my bed she wants me to stay by her is that normal?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, clean her bum with a warm cloth if she’ll let you.

Is she drinking kitten formula? She needs to for the calcium for nursing. Those kittens will deplete her and she can have seizures.

It’s normal for her to be needy. She’s exhausted and hormonal and adjusting to nursing. She needs to know you are there for her. This stage lasts 24-48 hours, then she will settle in more.

Supplement the runts if they are crying. Unless they are sleeping newborn kittens nurse all the time.

Adrieemarie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Is she drinking kitten formula? She needs to for the calcium for nursing. Those kittens will deplete her and she can have seizures.

It’s normal for her to be needy. She’s exhausted and hormonal and adjusting to nursing. She needs to know you are there for her. This stage lasts 24-48 hours, then she will settle in more.

Supplement the runts if they are crying. Unless they are sleeping newborn kittens nurse all the time.
Yes she has had half a cup milk and then some more of another half a cup. And I’m hand feeding her also with wet and dry food.
I am now laying next to her Because she had few more contractions but no signs of A kitten.
she sleeps when I’m next to her.
She seems fine after they passed but as she was having the contractions she got up like she was about to have another kitten.
But she seems to enjoy my company.

Adrieemarie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Oh yes, a few times they did stop nursing to sleep. Then right back to it. Thank you.