My cat is pregnant after a miscarriage ? Updated

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Adrieemarie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Update: mom and babies are doing good, she’s cleaning them and nursing them. She’s exhausted but I wasn’t quick enough to come feed her again, 1-2 hours she’s been getting milk,water, wet/dry food. Well she got out to eat some dry food while I went to get her wet food. She growled as I came in so I thought she was warning me away. So I quickly open the can and gave some to her as she went back to babies about a (foot away, which is about everything she might need.) well I wait a bit while she gets comfortable to rub her head and side to help her sleep. She ended up getting up while I laid down next to her and babies. She went to eat but babies were crying a couple got loud as some sleeping she growled at them well like she was upset she couldn’t feed herself. Is that normal?

Adrieemarie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My mama cat had her babies yesterday, she seems like she’s doing a good job with taking care of them she leaves the nest once they stop nursing and sleeping. To do her business and clean herself, eat and drink. I understand that she still in pain, (I’m waiting for the vet to call me back) well she gets up and walks and then she growls (like she did during labor) she’ll lick herself and have contractions is that normal for some cats? She’s young but she’s doing everything cats do for the kittens. She growls when the wake up like it’s bothering her. At the moment she likes when I’m in the same room with her and she wants the door open I’m lucky enough my male cat listens to me. So he doesn’t bother her or the kittens. She drinking lots of milk (kitten formula) about once an hour either I hold it up for her or she gets up. She’s exhausted and doesn’t go to sleep until she can’t keep her eyes open. Is there anything else I can feed her to help keep her strong during nursing?
I had her covered but she doesn’t like that. I know it has to stress her out but she likes the open and we do leave them alone I notice it because I’m on my bed and I look her way a bit.
I do have something set up in my closet for her and kittens, hoping she’ll move them. That’s darker and quieter.
i give her kitten wet food, and kitten dry food.
and of course fresh water and fresh formula.

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She should not be in pain or having ongoing contractions still, beyond a few afterpains for a day or two, so hopefully your vet can advise if you need to bring her in. She is nursing a lot of kittens, so it stands to reason that she is exhausted. My primary concern is with cats developing uterine infections or mastitis. If you have concerns you’ll need to see the vet.

Adrieemarie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She should not be in pain or having ongoing contractions still, beyond a few afterpains for a day or two, so hopefully your vet can advise if you need to bring her in. She is nursing a lot of kittens, so it stands to reason that she is exhausted. My primary concern is with cats developing uterine infections or mastitis. If you have concerns you’ll need to see the vet.
I took her and the kittens to the ER vet, she looks good, they told me she may experience some pain for a few days but she looks okay, and I’m a couple of days I’ll have to take her back if it doesn’t stop.

Adrieemarie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is it normal for mamma cat to sleep away from kitten after they nurse and sleep? She’ll sleep for 15-30 minutes then go back.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, that's fine. In the wild a mama cat has to go find food while the babies are sleeping, so even a pet cat has to get away now and then. Think of it as a new human mother sneaking off for a shower while the newborn sleeps :D.

Bratcat31

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is it normal for mamma cat to sleep away from kitten after they nurse and sleep? She’ll sleep for 15-30 minutes then go back.
Yup! Also, just as an FYI, my last foster mom used to growl at her kittens alllllll the time. Their crying absolutely grated on her nerves apparently. LOL!

She was a great mom though, never once hurt them or even tried to. She took in a few orphans and raised them and her bio babies all to be fat and happy. It seemed to mostly just be her way of telling them to just hush!

Adrieemarie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yup! Also, just as an FYI, my last foster mom used to growl at her kittens alllllll the time. Their crying absolutely grated on her nerves apparently. LOL!

She was a great mom though, never once hurt them or even tried to. She took in a few orphans and raised them and her bio babies all to be fat and happy. It seemed to mostly just be her way of telling them to just hush!
That’s good to know, it’s been years since I had newborn kittens with a mama cat. I was a youngster. She’s actually doing really well. I read so much on pregnancy and what can go horribly wrong I’m paranoid. She’s young and we didn’t plan to have kittens but she’s a good mother. I talked to the vet about weighing them since they are nursing I shouldn’t do it for a few more days because of touching them. But honestly I lay with my cat and pet her until she’s asleep and she really doesn’t like when they cry I kinda help them latch she seems to be okay with me doing that because she goes to sleep. So I didn’t get my scale I guess they were out. But my mom has one she doesn’t use. So I’ll pick it up tomorrow. They all look rounder

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Wow, she had a lot more kittens than you were expecting! I'm glad to hear the birth went OK.

It's OK to weigh them now. Mother cats don't mind too much when you handle the kittens. Have something like a small towel on the scales so the kittens don't touch a cold surface. Get a note book and write down the name/description of each kitten and the time of day/date you weigh them. When you weigh them you'll only need to take them away from mom for a moment. You can just weigh them, put the back, make a note and then pick up the next kitten.

Rounder is good! We want nice fat little kittens.

Adrieemarie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wow, she had a lot more kittens than you were expecting! I'm glad to hear the birth went OK.

It's OK to weigh them now. Mother cats don't mind too much when you handle the kittens. Have something like a small towel on the scales so the kittens don't touch a cold surface. Get a note book and write down the name/description of each kitten and the time of day/date you weigh them. When you weigh them you'll only need to take them away from mom for a moment. You can just weigh them, put the back, make a note and then pick up the next kitten.

Rounder is good! We want nice fat little kittens.
Thank you, I’ll start doing that today. These little guys are precious, and yeah the vet told me 3 maybe 4 kittens. We did get the X-ray her last week. She does have 2 runts, not just one they are the smallest and same size the orange one may be tinier. She had 2 pairs and both pairs have runts. And all tummy are round, they seem to all be nursing a good bit. And of course sleeping so mama cat can use the bathroom and eat drink and relax a bit before she goes back to do it all over again.

Bratcat31

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you, I’ll start doing that today. These little guys are precious, and yeah the vet told me 3 maybe 4 kittens. We did get the X-ray her last week. She does have 2 runts, not just one they are the smallest and same size the orange one may be tinier. She had 2 pairs and both pairs have runts. And all tummy are round, they seem to all be nursing a good bit. And of course sleeping so mama cat can use the bathroom and eat drink and relax a bit before she goes back to do it all over again.
I agree with Norachan Norachan on the weighing part. It's shocking how quickly they can go from being nice and healthy to very very not at this age. Weighing is one of the quickest ways to know if you may have a problem. Seeing them latch is excellent! Seeing nice round bellies is even better! Knowing they are latching and getting enough milk is the best.

I have had mom's that were NOT fans of me weighing. In those cases I often did one or two then gave a break, then one or two more. After a few days they would realize that I wasn't hurting anyone (and their horomones settled down a bit) and they would let me do it without any attitude

Adrieemarie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I agree with Norachan Norachan on the weighing part. It's shocking how quickly they can go from being nice and healthy to very very not at this age. Weighing is one of the quickest ways to know if you may have a problem. Seeing them latch is excellent! Seeing nice round bellies is even better! Knowing they are latching and getting enough milk is the best.

I have had mom's that were NOT fans of me weighing. In those cases I often did one or two then gave a break, then one or two more. After a few days they would realize that I wasn't hurting anyone (and their horomones settled down a bit) and they would let me do it without any attitude
I had to Actually buy one.
It’s a cheap kitchen one from Walmart.

My moms scale didn’t work. My kitten rescue lady is going to come over to weigh them. I told her my concern because they do look smaller then most newborns.

I have no problem with mama, I had to move kittens to give them a clean blanket. It smelled, she had 6th and 7th (stillborn) on it. I was hoping she’ll move them to the new box but like I said before she likes the open. They nursing everyhour it seems like and sleeps a lot which is normal. But I do agree with everyone about weighing them. I can’t imagine losing any of them now. 🥺

Adrieemarie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My kitten lady uses cages, like hamster and dog kennels. I’ll have them for 14weeks after they are fixed. What’s the best thing to use for the kittens I don’t mind them running around when older but at night or when I’m gone I want to be able to put them up. Don’t really have an extra room for them. I was thing about buying an open puppy kennel that way mama can jump in and out

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Kitten Lady Hannah Shaw has some great ideas for kitten friendly rooms on her channel.

Kitten Lady

I think something like this might work. You could fit a bed, food bowls and litter box in there. Mom could jump in and out through the top, but the kittens wouldn't be able to climb out until they're 5 or 6 weeks old. You can also play a great game of Kitty Tennis by throwing screwed up balls of paper onto the mesh roof for the kittens to bat.

:thumbsup:

1591412525075.png

Bratcat31

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My kitten lady uses cages, like hamster and dog kennels. I’ll have them for 14weeks after they are fixed. What’s the best thing to use for the kittens I don’t mind them running around when older but at night or when I’m gone I want to be able to put them up. Don’t really have an extra room for them. I was thing about buying an open puppy kennel that way mama can jump in and out
Just as a warning, kittens can start climbing out of open top kennels shockingly young, as norachan mentioned. Even the totally flat sided panel ones they can get out of welllllll before 14 weeks.

The closed zipppered ones I have used for a single 3 month old while supervised. No idea how well it will work unsupervised with six 14 week olds though. That's a LOT of kitten to contain. LOL!!

Do you have a spare bathroom you could maybe use?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
A spare bedroom with a door you can close is best, then you don’t spend money on things you may not use again. Did they get weighed? What are the results?

Adrieemarie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just as a warning, kittens can start climbing out of open top kennels shockingly young, as norachan mentioned. Even the totally flat sided panel ones they can get out of welllllll before 14 weeks.

The closed zipppered ones I have used for a single 3 month old while supervised. No idea how well it will work unsupervised with six 14 week olds though. That's a LOT of kitten to contain. LOL!!

Do you have a spare bathroom you could maybe use?
My bathroom has a door only where the toilet is. I plan to let them run around when im home. But first I’ll start with my room then the house, I don’t work so the only times I need to contain them is the middle of the night really or when We leave the house. I ended up buy a small kiddie pool for the first few weeks mama cat can stretch out. Some of the little ones climb over the pillow I didn’t think they would move that quickly until like a week. And I have been looking into cat deluxe homes. When I bought home Emmy she was maybe 4 weeks old and she went under the stove. So I have things blocked off already for them even my couch. I actually took the legs off of the couch lol.

Adrieemarie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
A spare bedroom with a door you can close is best, then you don’t spend money on things you may not use again. Did they get weighed? What are the results?
Yes, 3 weigh 3.7oz, 1 weigh 3.4oz, and 1 3.5oz