My Cat Is Peeing Everywhere??

pawzerz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've never owned a cat before so I'm turning to all y'all cat professionals and lovers for some advice.
I have a 2 year old female cat. In the beginning, she peed just fine in the litter box but after a long time later when I changed the litter box into a bigger box with a roof, shes been peeing on my bed, behind the TV, and now on the rug. This is a first time thing for me and I don't know what to do?? Please help??

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Hi and welcome to TCS pawzerz pawzerz :wave3:

There are many reasons that can cause a cat to stop using the litterbox. The first thing to rule out is medical issues. More often than not, a cat avoids the litterbox because it's become associated with pain during urination or defecation.

Here's a link to our guide about solving litterbox issues in cats -
How To Solve Litterbox Problems In Cats: The Ultimate Guide

It can take a while to figure out what's wrong and you will have to be methodical about it.

While it's generally recommended not to cover the litterbox, it's rarely in itself a reason for a cat to avoid the box. If you need more help, let us know more about the cat and the situation. Again, first things first, she needs to see the vet to see if there are any health issues that needs addressing. This article explains why -
Litterbox Problems? Here's Why You Should Call Your Vet

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never owned a cat before so I'm turning to all y'all cat professionals and lovers for some advice.
I have a 2 year old female cat. In the beginning, she peed just fine in the litter box but after a long time later when I changed the litter box into a bigger box with a roof, shes been peeing on my bed, behind the TV, and now on the rug. This is a first time thing for me and I don't know what to do?? Please help??
I hope that she is spayed? Have you ruled out any health issue? And I have only 1 covered litterbox; the rest are uncovered, because most cats prefer those. Be sure to keep the box clean -- scoop several times a day. And cats prefer a soft sandlike substrate (litter) such as the scoopable clay types, without perfumes, most of which are very strong and offensive to them. We like a scoopable clay litter with charcoal and/or baking soda added, such as SoPhresh, which you can get at Petco or through Drs. Foster & Smith online (drsfostersmith.com). Please let us know how she does!

haleyds

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If she isn't spayed then it could be heat marking. Most people don't realize that girl cats spray too, it's just usually puddles lol.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If she isn't spayed then it could be heat marking. Most people don't realize that girl cats spray too, it's just usually puddles lol.
OH yeah they do! One of our girls, who was fixed by the way, did this so much she had the nickname of "Squirtle" :devilcat: To be fair, she was in a gated/fenced outdoor environment with a LOT of other cats and visiting cats as well.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you lived where you are living long? Is she standing or squatting when she pees? If you rule out a UTI one temporary solution is to add more boxes in the places she is marking the most. Then eliminate what is causing her to be so insecure she feels she has to spray paint her name all over your house. If it is other animals/stray cats wandering about your front/back yard there are steps you can take to keep them out of your yard.
Assuming you have lived there a long time and nothing has changed; my first thought is a UTI or bladder stones. Which she needs a vet for.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pawzerz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Have you lived where you are living long? Is she standing or squatting when she pees? If you rule out a UTI one temporary solution is to add more boxes in the places she is marking the most. Then eliminate what is causing her to be so insecure she feels she has to spray paint her name all over your house. If it is other animals/stray cats wandering about your front/back yard there are steps you can take to keep them out of your yard.
Assuming you have lived there a long time and nothing has changed; my first thought is a UTI or bladder stones. Which she needs a vet for.
Thank you so much for your advice! I'll probably have to have to check in with the vet

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Also, clean the spots where she has peed with an enzymatic cleaner. My cat once peed on a bed years ago. i had to soak out the pee with a towel until i drained out all the pee. then i sprayed it with an enzymatic cleaner, and put on a waterproof liner on the bed. Even if you dont smell pee, doesnt mean that a cat wont. Follow the directions on the bottle, it needs time to break down the smell. I put that in bold, because its very important, you need to break down the smell, or she can be triggered to continue peeing in that spot.

also, i was told to have two litter boxes, and then add an extra for every cat. so if you have one cat, put 2 litter boxes. especially in the room that shes peeing. if a change in the litter box, like box type, or litter, or location triggers a peeing outside the box reaction, then go back to what was working.

i used to use pam on my cats box to avoid the clumps sticking to the box, this triggered her avoiding the box, and peeing on a bed. i cleaned out the box and put fresh litter. i then grabbed my cat and put her in the box, so she could smell it. its been years with no accidents.

A vet check up is also recommended. Any change in behavior should warrant a check in with a vet.

Last edited:

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did you take the top off the litter box? Did it work? If not, it could be a medical problem like UTI.

Shane Kent

Crazy Cat Gentleman
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat Taz is neutered and sprayed a bunch of times when I first started coming home with the scent of the cats I trapped at work on me. I figured he was being territorial or getting stressed out. I tried changing my clothes when I got home but he would go meow at the laundry room door. He sprayed a bunch of times but after a few weeks he stopped, I assumed he got used to the smell of the other cats on me and settled down.

If changing the litter box doesn't help and a vet check doesn't indicate anything wrong maybe there is something else that has changed aside from the litter box. Such as excessive noise from nearby construction. A new neighbor dog that barks non stop. I had my cat Kitty living inside the office building I work at and she used to get petting-induced aggression. My work place is rather noisy during the day, I think it was making Kitty high-strung. Since I have taken her home to a nice quiet neighborhood I no longer get petting-induced aggression from her. I feel she is no longer high-strung now she lives in a quiet home. I realize that you are not getting petting-induced aggression but I had read that stress can cause a cat to spray around the house.