My cat is peeing everywhere, need help, tried EVERYTHING

kevinvanachter

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So ever since we had her as a kitten she peed on and off on our furniture, sometimes it would be good for 4 months then it wouldn't.
I went to the vent then and recently again to rule out all health problems, so it must be something behavioural. We have 2 dogs which live outside the home, so she only sees them through the window, when they pass she 'hits' the window but we have no clue if this is related, our vet doesnt seem to think so

she mostly pees on the same spot at night, so weve tried putting a litterbox there only resulting in here peeing right next to it on both sides
its not often but sometimes she pees during the day as well.

we have a litterbox on every floor of our house (3) in total which are all in quiet places that are cleaned daily (yes she uses her litter boxes)
we clean everything with a special cleaner and alcohol, we even got an expensive steam vacuum to get it out of the couch
we got multiple diffusers of different brands that "help" but we see no difference either way
she sleeps with her belly open, which they tell me is a good sign that my cat is at ease
she's not a mean cat, she likes cuddles when she wants them and likes to play.

i've read somewhere we could 'recondition' her and lock her up in a seperate room with nothing else but her litterbox
so thats what we're trying right now, she's locked in the bathroom with some toys, her food and the litterbox for 2 days now.
she's not peeing on the floor or anything else in there but i'm scared once we let her out all of the above will happen again
she's also been more distant ever since shes locked in there.

She's loved in this home and we would try anything, but we really are coming to the end of all possible solutions
any help, tips are really welcome, just know that ive tried every 'basic' solution

kind regards
Kevin

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi
Before you let her back out, I can't tell but if the cleaner wasn't an enzymatic type you'll want to use that, it helps eliminate the odor for her.

I wonder, since she goes for a while not doing it, if there's a cat that she sees or smells now and then which could cause a territorial reaction such as this.

Try putting puppy pee pads under and to the side of the box she regularly misses if she seems to still be having trouble.

She'll be as loving when she comes back out :)

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You might try recleaning those areas, since she seems to want to pee in the same spots. What you have used might actually not be getting rid of the urine smell, cat's sense of smell is by far better than humans.

I would also try different litter boxes and litters as a test too, just in case she really doesn't like the ones she has. But the fact that she will use the one in the room you have her in would suggest to me it is the urine smell left behind in those areas that you have cleaned that is a big part of the problem.

She also could be reacting to the dogs outside, even if your vet doesn't seem to think so. I don't have much to offer in that regard, because you would essentially have to try to find a way to keep them out of her sight. You might want to give that some thought.
Some TCS articles that might help you out.
How To Get Cat Pee Smell Out Of Clothes And Linens – TheCatSite Articles
How To Get Cat Urine Smell Out Of Carpet: Effective, Non-toxic Solutions – TheCatSite Articles
How To Solve Litterbox Problems In Cats: The Ultimate Guide – TheCatSite Articles
Stress in Cats – The Ultimate Guide – TheCatSite Articles

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kevinvanachter

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi
Before you let her back out, I can't tell but if the cleaner wasn't an enzymatic type you'll want to use that, it helps eliminate the odor for her.

I wonder, since she goes for a while not doing it, if there's a cat that she sees or smells now and then which could cause a territorial reaction such as this.

Try putting puppy pee pads under and to the side of the box she regularly misses if she seems to still be having trouble.

She'll be as loving when she comes back out :)
so i've tried multiple brands of enzymatic cleaners, i really doubt she sees or smells an other cat ive never seen one at all and our garden is guarded by our 2 dogs (they have been here since we got her as a kitten) ive bought so many puppy pee pads ive lost count, she pees on them and sometimes next to those as well..

like i said everything 😥😥

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kevinvanachter

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You might try recleaning those areas, since she seems to want to pee in the same spots. What you have used might actually not be getting rid of the urine smell, cat's sense of smell is by far better than humans.

I would also try different litter boxes and litters as a test too, just in case she really doesn't like the ones she has. But the fact that she will use the one in the room you have her in would suggest to me it is the urine smell left behind in those areas that you have cleaned that is a big part of the problem.

She also could be reacting to the dogs outside, even if your vet doesn't seem to think so. I don't have much to offer in that regard, because you would essentially have to try to find a way to keep them out of her sight. You might want to give that some thought.
Some TCS articles that might help you out.
How To Get Cat Pee Smell Out Of Clothes And Linens – TheCatSite Articles
How To Get Cat Urine Smell Out Of Carpet: Effective, Non-toxic Solutions – TheCatSite Articles
How To Solve Litterbox Problems In Cats: The Ultimate Guide – TheCatSite Articles
Stress in Cats – The Ultimate Guide – TheCatSite Articles
tried multiple enzymatic cleaners, got a steamer and an expensive steamvacuum for our couch. i cleaned like a maniac with 'all the right products' i even avoided nice smellig or ammonia based cleaning supplies, because cats love that as well

we taped off the window for a few months, to no avail...

i will give the articles a read!

dixielittle

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So ever since we had her as a kitten she peed on and off on our furniture, sometimes it would be good for 4 months then it wouldn't.
I went to the vent then and recently again to rule out all health problems, so it must be something behavioural. We have 2 dogs which live outside the home, so she only sees them through the window, when they pass she 'hits' the window but we have no clue if this is related, our vet doesnt seem to think so

she mostly pees on the same spot at night, so weve tried putting a litterbox there only resulting in here peeing right next to it on both sides
its not often but sometimes she pees during the day as well.

we have a litterbox on every floor of our house (3) in total which are all in quiet places that are cleaned daily (yes she uses her litter boxes)
we clean everything with a special cleaner and alcohol, we even got an expensive steam vacuum to get it out of the couch
we got multiple diffusers of different brands that "help" but we see no difference either way
she sleeps with her belly open, which they tell me is a good sign that my cat is at ease
she's not a mean cat, she likes cuddles when she wants them and likes to play.

i've read somewhere we could 'recondition' her and lock her up in a seperate room with nothing else but her litterbox
so thats what we're trying right now, she's locked in the bathroom with some toys, her food and the litterbox for 2 days now.
she's not peeing on the floor or anything else in there but i'm scared once we let her out all of the above will happen again
she's also been more distant ever since shes locked in there.

She's loved in this home and we would try anything, but we really are coming to the end of all possible solutions
any help, tips are really welcome, just know that ive tried every 'basic' solution

kind regards
Kevin
I have the same problem and I have him on antianxiety meds transdermal. It works most of the time but now I have another cat who is copying him. It is important to use an enzyme to get the smell out. Vinegar and mouthwash works on the cheap.