My cat is onto me with the pills...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BluOnyx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I probably already suggested this (didn't go back in this thread to see, sorry). Have you tried the pill masker? There is the Tomlyn brand that is bacon flavored, no chicken. You can cover a pill with as little or as much as you want. I even coat them in Forti Flora if I think they will stick to a plate. So far, that works for the pills I am afraid to crush up for fear of their taste. The pills I don't worry about the taste get crushed up and mixed with a number of lickable treats - all the ones I use are chicken based, but there are others that are not.
Feeby would not do capsules either, she tried to chew them and that was the end of that!!
TOMLYN Pill-Masker, 4-oz jar - Chewy.com
Yeah I have looked into those. I am going to keep it in mind if this fails. I want to avoid feeding him a lot of filler oils and such since he already has the heart condition. I am trying to find things that will help. Part of me feels like it was injection induced and if that is the case, the right foods and supplements along with his meds, it should reverse it. I just have to keep in mind what I feed him. I am tracking everything so if something does work, I want the vet to know so she can recommend it to other kitty parents with similar conditions.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Update... he couldn't do the capsules. He tried biting them every time. I ended up having to crush them up again but thankfully he did eat most of the food with the medication. I am going to try those treat sticks. I got more flavors, some he has never had before. Had to hunt for some without chicken but I found some. I also got one of those mortar and pestle things so I can smash up his pills to very fine powder and mix it with the food right in the bowl.

It seems like this is the best option right now. As long as I rotate the flavors and only let him have them with the pills, I think he will be okay with it. When he had food with and then without the pills, he could taste the difference and it put him off I think.
Did you pack the pills into the size 3 capsules your vet gave you? Size 3 is really too big to start with. Betty's meds (except her gabapentin) are packed into size 5 (bigger number = smaller capsule.) Her supplements are size 4. I was worried when her gabapentin was compounded into size 3's that she would refuse them or I would have to repack them into size fours. But I think it's because Betty's been doing the capsules for so long now that she has the technique down now. She handled the three's like a pro. I would order some fours and fives off Amazon (a package of 100 is maybe $10?) And I would keep trying. Betty didn't get it on the first day or even the first week. But now, well, it just doesn't get any easier than this.

BluOnyx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Did you pack the pills into the size 3 capsules your vet gave you? Size 3 is really too big to start with. Betty's meds (except her gabapentin) are packed into size 5 (bigger number = smaller capsule.) Her supplements are size 4. I was worried when her gabapentin was compounded into size 3's that she would refuse them or I would have to repack them into size fours. But I think it's because Betty's been doing the capsules for so long now that she has the technique down now. She handled the three's like a pro. I would order some fours and fives off Amazon (a package of 100 is maybe $10?) And I would keep trying. Betty didn't get it on the first day or even the first week. But now, well, it just doesn't get any easier than this.
The vet gave me a size 3. I considered ordering a size 4 or even 5 but I would have to do each pill desperately as crushing and filling is just too difficult. I can order some of those to try. It can't hurt at this point. I have already spent well over 6k since his diagnosis, what is $10 more lol

He is starting to snub his fish oil as well unless it is in fish only food so I am going to have to order food specifically for that and just give him a small amount every day as a snack mixed with the oil. I found some without any chicken that he has never had before.

The taurine is a challenge. He wants to eat it but hates the texture. I now have to crumble those and add them to food which he is not a fan of. They are about the size of a dime too. Twice a day! This went from being a breeze in the beginning to a nightmare.

He now is refusing to eat 4 of the 7 cans of food in his rotation and I am wasting more and more food. I don't know if he is paranoid or his teeth are bugging him but he doesn't want to eat shredded kind at all. He used to love it. That is 3 of his flavors. Very hard to find chicken free cat food. I only have so many flavors to choose from with fancy feast and most other brands put stuff I do not want him eating like vegetable oils or apples. Why the heck are apples in cat food now? And tomatoes!?

I think I may just order that pill masker as well for back up. I wish he was like my other cats and just shoveled his food in. I could just put the capsules right in his food without him trying to bite them.

Last edited:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I can't offer much in the way of food suggestions, but I do use the pet stores' online sites to search for foods, including textures and ingredients, as well as Chewy.com even if I don't end up buying them there. Just makes for an easier time than going to the stores and picking up can-by-can to check the contents.

I do know that tomatoes are often used in place of gums as a binding agent to hold the ingredients together. I don't think any of them actually taste like tomatoes.

BluOnyx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I can't offer much in the way of food suggestions, but I do use the pet stores' online sites to search for foods, including textures and ingredients, as well as Chewy.com even if I don't end up buying them there. Just makes for an easier time than going to the stores and picking up can-by-can to check the contents.

I do know that tomatoes are often used in place of gums as a binding agent to hold the ingredients together. I don't think any of them actually taste like tomatoes.
There is food with pieces of tomato in them. You can see it. I just don't get adding this stuff in place of grains. From my understanding, a cat's diet should be mostly protein, some fat, and minimal carbs.

Yeah I do this. I look online. I have a list and know certain brands that have chicken free. It is just hard to find new options.

I found some more BFF food. I ordered a variety pack. He won't be able to eat the chicken flavor but I can give that to the other cats. I am going to use this only for his pills. Assuming I can get him to take the capules filled with his medication in the smaller size. I am really hoping.

He loves to eat and just looks so depressed when it is time to eat now. I feel horrible that I am ruining this for him.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
He loves to eat and just looks so depressed when it is time to eat now. I feel horrible that I am ruining this for him.
I can relate since I had a similar problem and, as you said, did not want the pill to interfere with Carleton eating. It took several different methods and strategies for me to figure out what would be best so that I knew he actually got his pill. However, I did have to buy several boxes of bandaids. :lol: Best of luck and please keep us posted.

BluOnyx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I can relate since I had a similar problem and, as you said, did not want the pill to interfere with Carleton eating. It took several different methods and strategies for me to figure out what would be best so that I knew he actually got his pill. However, I did have to buy several boxes of bandaids. :lol: Best of luck and please keep us posted.
He is paranoid every time I feed him now. He didn't want to eat either of his meals today so far. So he has hardly had his medication. I am just going to have to wait until his second dose later and hope he takes it. It all has to be 12ish hours apart. He has a mid-day pill he gets in a little bit. Not sure how I will approach that one.

I am going to have to regain his trust with his food while making sure he gets his meds. What a mess!

I have new food coming he has never had but it won't be here until tomorrow. So his next two doses are up in the air. I wish he didn't have to chew everything, would make this easier.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think you need to taste every one of his pills and find out what they taste like. There are some that may not be that bad, and others that taste terrible. You may need different approaches depending on the taste. Those that don't taste bad might be able to be crushed into a bite of food. The others are going to need better masking, and not be crushed up into his meal foods. You may even have to resort to getting some of them compounded to see if that will help. Whatever it takes, but you are going to have to stay away from trying to sneak the terrible tasting ones into the food he needs to eat for meals.

Applaws has both tuna and salmon lickable treats that have no chicken, human canned fish in water - tuna, salmon, sardines, mackerel, herring (some of these have the omega-3 fish oil in them that could replace your supplement), cheese, yogurt, cream cheese are all things to try. I know of folks who split up cans of these type things into an ice cube tray, freeze them, and then take one out as needed - it preserves the rest so less food waste.

Tbh, some of the 'treats' you may get him to take his pills in could have some things you don't like, or think are 'harmful' (e.g., vegetable oils), but the little bit he would eat isn't going to be that big of a problem. Which is worse - a few bites a day containing stuff you don't like, or him not eating and/or not getting the pills he needs?

Last edited:

BluOnyx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think you need to taste every one of his pills and find out what they taste like. There are some that may not be that bad, and others that taste terrible. You may need different approaches depending on the taste. Those that don't taste bad might be able to be crushed into a bite of food. The others are going to need better masking, and not be crushed up into his meal foods. You may even have to resort to getting some of them compounded to see if that will help. Whatever it takes, but you are going to have to stay away from trying to sneak the terrible tasting ones into the food he needs to eat for meals.

Applaws has both tuna and salmon lickable treats that have no chicken, human canned fish in water - tuna, salmon, sardines, mackerel, herring (some of these have the omega-3 fish oil in them that could replace your supplement), cheese, yogurt, cream cheese are all things to try. I know of folks who split up cans of these type things into an ice cube tray, freeze them, and then take one out as needed - it preserves the rest so less food waste.

Tbh, some of the 'treats' you may get him to take his pills in could have some things you don't like, or think are 'harmful' (e.g., vegetable oils), but the little bit he would eat isn't going to be that big of a problem. Which is worse - a few bites a day containing stuff you don't like, or him not eating and/or not getting the pills he needs?
I am considering doing canned tuna. I will just find one that is better quality and not some cheap junk.

I have not tried the pill masker yet. I want to wait until I have the capsules and the new food. I did consider tasting his pills as well. I mean I know off the bat, one of them is very bitter. The two others aren't, based on what the vet said. I don't know about his new one for the heart flutters. The one that is flavored and meant to be chewable may just be the one putting him off the most. He seems to want to eat his taurine tabs but because it is the same texture as those, he spits them out.

I will have to try separating the pills and see later. He took his mid-day pill with a bit of a squeeze treat. Very stinky one. I'll have to get more of those and hope that keeps working. If it is the chewable one causing him issues, I will have to put that and the taurine into something different, like the canned tuna I mentioned. Maybe just pre mix it and let it sit for 10 min so the flavor is completely masked.

I could very well have spoiled him giving him all these different flavors too. I don't know.

I'll keep updating the thread until I find something that works.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to make a cat med parfait for Krista, the one in my avatar who would not take pills. She loved tuna, bonito fish flakes, and Nutrical nutritional gel. I would take the lid of a small sauce tray (about a couple of inches square) and mix her meds and supplements inside the Nutrical gel. Then I would put some tuna and tuna water in front of that and fish flakes on top of, and in front of that. She would start at one edge with the tuna water and tuna, and she wouldn't stop until she finished the gel with her meds in it. Then I would serve an unadulterated meal ("No poison in your food. Promise!")

I'm drawing a blank on who made the tuna in water pots that we used. It wasn't Reveal and it wasn't Applaws. Both of those would be suitable though. PureBites! That's the one. Catmandoo makes the bonito flakes. And Tomlyn makes the Nutrical gel.
https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/tomlyn-nutri-cal-for-cats-1001744?cm_mmc=PSH|GGL|SPP|SBU04|SH6|0|sKPHoNJL43j9nfzy2UGjVe|58700007475444196|PRODUCT_GROUP|0|0|pla-1454637265900|129568170952|15084495723&gclid=Cj0KCQjw27mhBhC9ARIsAIFsETH-DrVCG6UyBKugH_SSSWO0ZVK3E24doYSu5avawcQnYb6VpmhxL8IaAplxEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Found a picture of the "meds stack" or "meds parfait"
IMG_0007 (2).JPG
This all depends on the gel which she loved...until many, many months later when she finally had enough of it. But the tuna and tuna water definitely got her started.

Last edited:

downton ali

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If it's of any help at all, I cut my guy's pills in half and put them inside a size 4 or 5 capsule. The capsule is shorter and much easier for him to swallow that way.

BluOnyx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm drawing a blank on who made the tuna in water pots that we used. It wasn't Reveal and it wasn't Applaws. Both of those would be suitable though. PureBites! That's the one.
I was just looking at tuna. I was going to say the only few brands I could find with just tuna and water are like $4+ a can! And it is 5 ounces which I do not think would work because it would go off before he'd finish it. Human canned tuna seems to suck, loaded with junk outside of a few brands. Do you know what pet stores have the PureBites tuna pots? I'd like to get some tomorrow. If I buy online, it will take days to get here and I would rather buy a few than a whole case.

BluOnyx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh never mind, I found some in stock at a Petco.

Do you know how long this would last in the fridge after opened if I only used a small bit a day?

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh never mind, I found some in stock at a Petco.

Do you know how long this would last in the fridge after opened if I only used a small bit a day?
Probably two or three days. I think you’d use up the pots before then.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I was just looking at tuna. I was going to say the only few brands I could find with just tuna and water are like $4+ a can! And it is 5 ounces which I do not think would work because it would go off before he'd finish it. Human canned tuna seems to suck, loaded with junk outside of a few brands.
You can divide the tuna into multiple parts in an ice cube tray and freeze them. Take out to thaw what you need.

BluOnyx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Since his new food did not come, I had to use the pill masker last night. It worked. He took all his pills. I thought, well I have this now and hopefully it keeps working for awhile. He didn't want them this morning. It took me an hour to give him his medication. He didn't even finish it all and is refusing to eat the rest of his food. So he hardly ate.

I feel so awful. I don't know what to do anymore. The only two things I have left are capsules with new food (assuming he is able to swallow those) or mixing it with tuna, assuming he even likes it. If not, I am going to be forced to force feed him his medication and get bit every morning and have him avoid me and hate me for it. He already doesn't like when I am the one feeding him. This is breaking my heart.

BluOnyx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He ate all of his lunch. I gave it to him on a different plate. I think his normal ones he is associating with the medication.

He gets his mid-day pill in a bit. I am hoping those turkey gels still work for that.

I ordered more stuff... I got him regular taurine instead of the chewables. I also got some of that bisque stuff by Hartz. I will see if I can make a soup with everything using that stuff. I am hoping the smaller capsules with his pills in them using new food works though. That would be the best for both of us. He doesn't have to taste anything and he can enjoy his meals without anything in it.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
He ate all of his lunch. I gave it to him on a different plate. I think his normal ones he is associating with the medication.
If your guy is anything like mine it's a good idea to have a back up plan just in case something doesn't work as planned one day. They are so clever, aren't they? :rolleyes2:

BluOnyx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He ended up taking all but one medication with the pill mask. I had to attach treats to them but the treats are the other cats' which have chicken. I think a few won't cause any issue but I will have to keep an eye on his stool. The one he seems to hate the most is the pimobendan which is a chewable and he is refusing to eat it. He managed only half his dose which will have to do for now.

I tasted the human grade taurine power from the capsule and it was not bitter at all so I mixed that in one of the bisques with his ubiquinol and fish oil. He didn't seem overjoyed but he ate it. I will leave out the fish oil tomorrow and see if he prefer it without that. If he gets too fussy with the ubiquinol, i can just apply it to his leg and he will lick it off. The fish oil can just be mixed in at every meal in smaller doses.

Now I just have to find a way to get the pimobendan in him.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For that one difficult to administer drug that requires strict compliance, you may want to ask your vet about having it compounded into an easier form. A Tiny Tab may go down easy with a little bit of bisque treat. Especially if these aren’t easy to chew. Transdermal may not absorb as well as oral. But if you can’t get it in him any other way, less optimal absorption is better than missed doses.

Pimobendan for dogs: Uses, Dosage & Side Effects