My cat is old... (a pretty common thread, obviously)

theraven

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok, so my cat came to us as a kitten (she just ran into the house as we were returning home one evening). She's an Egyptian Mau, and these cats are said to be quite active and dog-like (whatever that means), so she's always been very playful. The only times when she wasn't, was when she had kittens (and that was pretty often since she was top cat back in her prime, and when she wasn't put under surgery). She is 15-16 right now, but she's still quite playful. I've read on different forums that playful but elderly cats are usually demented, or have thyroid problems, or something else, so I'm kinda confused.

She's also got other "symptoms" like: Always meowing for no particular reason; strange dietary habits (she asks to be fed all the time, but rarely eats anything); doesn't like to be petted on the body (something she always liked, now she just looks like her skin is crawling; but at least, she still likes to be scratched on the chin/ neck, a bit too much actually; she always pushes her head towards the palm if you pet her on the head though); limps a bit (not bad enough to have difficulty walking though).

On the other hand, she sleeps a lot during the day, and not as much during the night (though that's normal since cats are mostly nocturnal animals), but at night she always attempts to lie under my head/ upper chest (I suspect it's to get me to get up and feed her, though not always), or if that doesn't work, she just lies next to my head (which she never did when she was younger).

Speaking of food, she only eats raw "good" meats (we also have a dog, and my mom buys meat offcuts (or what are they called?) to make her stews and stuff, the cat doesn't wanna eat those), or stuff she didn't eat in a while (cheese, for example). And she only eats when really hungry.

She also rarely goes outside these days, first I though it was because of the cold, but whenever she goes out, she knocks on the window after 5-10 minutes, even though it's getting warmer, with the coming of spring and all.

I'm planning to call the vet to do a check on her, see if it's just her age (and maybe intestinal worms, as she has those), and get some treatment, if it isn't.

What do you guys think?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

theraven

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
By the way, my name's George. I'm from Moldova.

Last edited by a moderator:

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It sounds to me that you are right to bring her to the vet for an exam.  At her age she could have health issues starting.  Some cats age more gracefully than others.  Preventative care can help you catch things early as well.