My Cat Is Now Crazy About Going Outside

catlover1000

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

I have 4 indoor cats. They've been indoors all their life and so far they have been fine with that.

This summer I decided to take them out to the back yard and one of them, who is 9 years old (male, fixed), is now literally crazy about going outside. He mews/cries all the time and in a crazy way, sitting by the door and sometimes even trying to desperately scratch it. No matter how many times he is taken out he wants more and more. It is getting worse and worse. First he cried only by the door and only when someone was there, but downstairs, but now he might even wake me up crying to take him out, even though he has never woken me up before.

When some other cat is taken out he might sit on the window sill, look at him and cry being jealous.

The problem is also that when he is outside he keeps eating grass and then he pukes a lot outside and inside.

He has many toys including a cat tree.

What could I do to reduce his crazyness about going outside and also eating that much grass?

Thank you

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You could not let him out ever and deal with the days or weeks until he gets over it. Failing that? A cat door so he can go in and out (if that is even safe in your area) and ... as for the grass, I have no idea. Its quite common for cats to be PITA about this issue, so absent a cat door + a solution for the grass, your best bet is cold turkey.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You can grow your own cat grass in a large pot. Keep it outside but bring it inside daily so your cat can satisfy his craving for grass. Supervise your cat and if he starts eating way too much as once, put the pot back outside. Some cats love grass and will eat until they vomit and then eat more :rolleyes:

Do you own your home? If you do, you can look into building a catio for your cat. You can attach the catio to the house in some way so your cat can go freely in and out as he pleases.

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Try putting him on a schedule. If he knows he can go out at a set time he may adjust.

If you decide to grow cat grass indoors you can grow it from wheat berrys. You can get them at the grocery store and much cheaper than the seeds at a pet food store.

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
FWIW the OP has the same username and wrote the same post on another forum.

molly22

Country girl living the life with my furry friends
Adult Cat
Purraise
He got a taste of the great outdoors and fell in love! I have the same issue and have just learned to live with their begging. We do try take them out on leashes at least once a day and they do really quiet down when they come back in. They get used to the routine.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catlover1000

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all. I'll probably try then grow cat grass at home.

catlover1000

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Now, I can say for sure that it's the grass, what makes him behave like that. So, I guess, I should grow cat grass, however this wouldn't solve the problem with puking. I mean, after he recovers from puking which takes about 20 minutes, he wants it again and then everything repeats so he would puke a lot of times and I'm not sure if it's healthy. Besides that, since not always someone is home, we couldn't be there all the time when he pukes, so he might puke and we might not see it if he does it e.g. under a bed...
What do you think of this and how could all that be solved to any extent?

Thank you

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
When he has constant access to he'll probably be less interested in it. One of our boy prefers his "salad" cut up on a plate when indoors.

catlover1000

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Also, he pukes right after eating grass... The puking is actually what stops him keeping eating it for a little while.