My cat is not eating or drinking like before .

Status
Not open for further replies.

K35

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

I am from Kuwait and I have a problem with my cat so far I don't know why.

The problem of my cat ( female 8 years old ) is that she does not eat as before and drinks a little water she has no intention of eating and eats less than a quarter of a spoon up to 4 g of food in one meal and I gave her wet food and found that she takes fluids and leaves the meat and pieces in the food.

And when I give her Dry food , she takes a long time to break the food and often eats 3 pieces of dry food only, and she cannot complete it and leave her even if it was her favorite food.

I tried changing all kinds of foods that I give her still no use . I went to the doctor and we did an examination. We found out that she suffers from FIV, and all of her tests are normal.

We also did an ultra sound, and it was not clear that she had any problems. She feels tired and sits all day and does not move as before she is dehydrated and we gave her iv fluid but her condition has not improved so far in terms of the amount of food and her activity has not returned as before.

There is no diarrhea, secretions, breathing problems or regurgitation. She goes to the bathroom to urinate, but she does not excrete and the doctors told me that it was due to lack of food. We gave her appetizers, vitamins and laxatives, and her condition did not change.

At first we thought it was constipation and we took the excrement out, but her condition did not improve. Now I began to suspect that we went to the wrong grant and that the problem might be inflammation or problems with the gums or the teeth, and I photographed the condition of her teeth so that you could see him.

I hope you will read my message because my cat's condition has not improved and she is not eating well and also it has been more than 3 weeks now. Thank you.

I eagerly await your response.

Attachments

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
that the problem might be inflammation or problems with the gums or the teeth
I think so as well.

In the meantime can you handfeed him? Use a tongue depressor/popsicle stick and scoop small amounts of food onto his tongue. It may be messy and take a while but he needs food.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

K35

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think so as well.

In the meantime can you handfeed him? Use a tongue depressor/popsicle stick and scoop small amounts of food onto his tongue. It may be messy and take a while but he needs food.
Thanks for your reply,
yes I am trying to feed my cat by grinding the food and putting it in the syring, but the problem is that I did not get the required improvement so far because I did not get the problem from the roots and solve it. Maybe I'll take her tomorrow or they'll do an endoscopy to see if there's a blockage somewhere.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Are canned cat foods available in your country? Those would be easier for a cat with dental issues to eat and you can even make the food soupy and syringe it into the cat if needed.

Speak with the vet about your cat's teeth and gums. Dental issues aren't always a top concern for vets and many do not even know the signs of dental issues. You can try to look for a veterinary dentist in your country.

K35

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I try to give her wet food but she only takes fluids from it and leaves the rest. As for dental problems, I put it as the last possibility of treatment, meaning that they will do an endoscopy, and if they do not find anything, we will move to the topic of teeth. What do you think?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I would think having her teeth/gums checked out first would be a more economical approach. Much less invasive too! As asked above, what kind of cat foods do you have available?

If you have pates, they might be better liked by your cat than the chunky foods. Also, when you say grinding her food, what do you mean? I have a cat that will only lick off the gravy/liquid and leave the meat pieces behind. But she will eat the pates. I have also used a blender to mix foods that are chunky, adding some water or broth to it to make almost puree or slurry.

If there is a dry food she likes, try adding some water to it to make it softer and see if she will eat it that way. You can also crumble the dry food and add water or broth and make your own form of pate food. If she was normally into the dry food before, both of these approaches might get her to eat more and let you test whether her teeth or her digestive tract are/are not the issue.

K35

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your comment.
We have dry food, but when this problem occurred, I gave her wet food and tried to give her water. Also, she does not eat until I force her to do so, but she drinks not much water.

Wet food is a meow mix brand, which consists of chicken and liver with sauce. For dry food, I bought the applaws brand, but she does not eat it and she throws it on the ground because she cannot break it all when she eats. And eat only 3 to 4 pieces.

As for grinding food, I mean that I try to break it into very small pieces so that he can eat, but she does not search for food and can abstain from food for up to 12 hours without searching. That's why all my attempts failed.

I don't know if there is a problem with her dental nerve. I told the doctor to do a thorough examination. She told me that the cat had moderate gingivitis and that there was a tooth in a bad condition. She said that I do not think that the problem is with the gums, because when you press on it, the cat does not make any movement, it appears that it is in pain. For this reason, she says that it is not the reason.

All the foods that the cat loves, she no longer eats it as before, and I feel that she is lethargic and does not sleep. Whenever I go to see her, I find her awake, and this makes me suspect that there is a problem in the nerve of the teeth because I know that the pain that makes people cannot sleep most of the time is related to the teeth.

Attachments

K35

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello again,

I have a new update, but it is bad.
I made an endoscopy for the cat to see if there was something stuck in the intestines or the abdomen.

The doctor in charge told me that there is nothing and that everything is normal and that there are red spots in the duodenum, but so far we have not found any reason It makes the cat not do the defecation process or not eating or drinking water like before and now I feel that I am really in a big problem.

So far I have paid the equivalent of two thousand dollars and I have not found any diagnosis of her condition and I am afraid that she will die in my hands and I have no one I can trust to know what is the cause of the problem.

The doctor told me that he wanted to take a biopsy to see what the problem was, but I feel he just wants the money since he hasn't diagnosed the cat yet.

I am really frustrated and feel that life narrowed down my cat suddenly relapsed and no one knows the reason and it is a cat that has no clear symptoms for this reason no one can know why.

K35

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, I spoke to them and the doctor told me that the cat does not feel pain when pressing on its gums, and that the problem is not with its teeth. But I do not understand the reason why she did not excrete the faeces, because now she has not excreted for a long time, and there is nothing in the endoscope that tells us that there is a problem. I do not know what is happening. The doctor who performed the endoscopy told me that there are a few red spots in the duodenum. I do not know if it was the cause or not.
Did they say anything about taking care of her teeth, or removing the bad tooth?

K35

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
New update: My cat so far does not want to eat.
I try to feed her myself through the syringe.

Whenever I want to feed her, she refuses and covers her face from me or goes to the corner so that I do not feed her, so far all my attempts have been unsuccessful and i have not found any solution to this problem.

My heart breaks for what happened to her. She does not want to eat and noticed that she never uses her teeth during the illness and I do not know if I can trust anyone anymore.

The last solution that I have is to see the doctor, who said that she might have dental problems, and in fact, I never brushed her teeth, so I don't know if this was the reason.

She is also a FIV patient. Does this mean that she has started to be affected by this disease, or does it have nothing to do with the issue?

I'm really lost.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The last solution that I have is to see the doctor, who said that she might have dental problems,
It could be the FIV, but I still would suggest this since if I remember, there was mention of a tooth that needed to be pulled.

You need to get food in to her by whatever method, whether syringing it or with small amounts of food on the end of a tongue depressor, even if she doesn't like it.

Last edited:

K35

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It could be the FIV, but I still would suggest this since if I remember, there was mention of a tooth that needed to be pulled.

You need to get food in to her by whatever method, whether syringing it or with small amounts of food on the end of a tongue depressor, even if she doesn't like it.
I'll give it a try and hope my
cat comes back healthy.

I do not want her to suffer, I hate the veterinarians because they do not give a thorough examination of the case and it has cost me a lot and so far I have not found an answer to my problem and I really hope that the matter is simple and not a complicated issue.

What frightens me the most is when you find that all the analyzes and tests say
that everything is fine.

While she does not feel that .

K35

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My beloved cat passed away and there is no reason to continue the topic.

Her suffering is over.

I hope we meet again in Heaven.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
K K35 We want you to know that the team here at TCS are so very sorry for your loss. :rbheart:
We lock threads when a cat has passed, out of respect, but if you feel it would help
you may like to leave a tribute thread to your girl in our
Crossing the Bridge forum.

RIP sweet girl
:rbheart: :rbheart: :rbheart: :rbheart: :rbheart:

Status
Not open for further replies.