My cat is no longer affectionate. Please help

Maddieelee95

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have just recently moved interstate to my home town and due to covid-19 I had to quarantine for 2 weeks in a temporary house and then was allowed to move back in with my parents. I have my 1 and a half year old kitty with me during this whole process and now his personality has completely changed. He is a Scottish fold and was incredibly affectionate with me up until I moved 8 weeks ago.
Now he won’t want me to hold him or won’t sleep with me. Sometimes he even hisses at me after I put him down on the ground after holding him. He was such a couch kitty and loved to lie on my lap and sleep up near my head. He couldn’t get enough of me and now I’m lucky to even get a look in. I feel completely helpless and don’t know what to do.
before I moved I lived in a small apartment with my partner. Now I live in a semi large house with 3 other people and 1 old cat and a dog He gets along very well with the dog and wants to be friends with my other cat but unfortunately she doesn’t want a bar of him.
I know he has a lot more to do and see now then before but I’m wanting to know if there is anything I can do to help increase his affection towards me. Has anyone else experienced anything like this??

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have found that cats can be fickle. Yours has had a lot of changes in his life in a short time and is just adjusting to things. Give him time, dont force him to do anything he doesnt want to. Pick him up for a few seconds and if he wants to go down, let him. Do this several times a day and he should want to be held for a little longer as the days go by. Try to spend time with just you and him in a room, playing with him and talk to him. Rub catnip on your hands. Be patient.

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat was scared of me when she had toothache and months after surgery - she wouldn't touch the food I gave her. I was responsible for her pain. It was hard since I couldn't even offer her any comfort. Other people in the household had a bit more success and she became attached to them. But she got over it and has transferred her affection back to me. She'd lived her early life in a colony of ferals and, although I don't believe she was born in the wild, she took a long time to trust me in the first place.

Your cat will become friendly again - maybe he thinks you are responsible for all the upheaval he's had to endure recently or maybe he is still rather nervous in his new surroundings.

He's always been loved and friendly. I'm sure he'll forget what he's been through once he's got used to his new home and the two-legged and 4-legged members of the household. Unfortunately, you may find that he becomes so involved with his new friends that he will spend less time with you than before, when you were his only soulmate. But there is no reason for him to be unfriendly towards you.

I have found that cats can be fickle. Yours has had a lot of changes in his life in a short time and is just adjusting to things. Give him time, dont force him to do anything he doesnt want to. Pick him up for a few seconds and if he wants to go down, let him. Do this several times a day and he should want to be held for a little longer as the days go by. Try to spend time with just you and him in a room, playing with him and talk to him. Rub catnip on your hands. Be patient.
I can't add more to that! Good luck!

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Being stressed changes everything for cats. When a cat is stressed, it does *not* want to be held or petted. In fact, trying to hard can set the relationship back. So after a move, you need to back off some, and let the cat settle in and come to you. You can sit quietly where the cat is to help, and can try coaxing with treats or toys, but it may take some days/weeks after a move for a cat to get comfortable and seem like their old self.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Maddieelee95

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you very much for your advice. I will definitely try the catnip and see what happens!
😊

Maddieelee95

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat was scared of me when she had toothache and months after surgery - she wouldn't touch the food I gave her. I was responsible for her pain. It was hard since I couldn't even offer her any comfort. Other people in the household had a bit more success and she became attached to them. But she got over it and has transferred her affection back to me. She'd lived her early life in a colony of ferals and, although I don't believe she was born in the wild, she took a long time to trust me in the first place.

Your cat will become friendly again - maybe he thinks you are responsible for all the upheaval he's had to endure recently or maybe he is still rather nervous in his new surroundings.

He's always been loved and friendly. I'm sure he'll forget what he's been through once he's got used to his new home and the two-legged and 4-legged members of the household. Unfortunately, you may find that he becomes so involved with his new friends that he will spend less time with you than before, when you were his only soulmate. But there is no reason for him to be unfriendly towards you.

I can't add more to that! Good luck!
Thanks for your advice! I’ll definitely give it more time. He has his moments where he’s semi affectionate when I hold him Which gives me hope. Hopefully with a bit more time he starts to come around

Maddieelee95

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Being stressed changes everything for cats. When a cat is stressed, it does *not* want to be held or petted. In fact, trying to hard can set the relationship back. So after a move, you need to back off some, and let the cat settle in and come to you. You can sit quietly where the cat is to help, and can try coaxing with treats or toys, but it may take some days/weeks after a move for a cat to get comfortable and seem like their old self.
definitely!
completely understand. He’s pretty comfortable at this point in time. I’m home all day most days and try to just be in the same room as him in hopes he will come around one day. hopefully time will make it better! Thanks for your advice 😊

duncanmac

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Cats hate change and your poor guy has gone through three or four major changes in a short period of time. Unfortunately, you are the only common denominator for all those changes so he is "blaming" you. Treats and play and time and he should come around.