My Cat Is Naked Again...advice?

LuvDeezKittez

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My kitty recently started removing his collar and has been running around "naked":woo:. We've tried different breakaway collars on him but, well, he breaks them away! Would it be terrible to put him in a non-breakaway collar? I don't like the idea of him snagging on something and choking himself, but I also don't like the idea of him escaping out the front door without his collar on either.
So the question is: Breakaway or Not?
What would you do? What kind of collars do you guys like?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I also have a collar escape artist. The last collar I tried lasted all of an hour. :rolleyes3:

I would not do a non breakaway because it is just too risky. I saw a cat who had been strangled by their collar and just don't risk it. Especially with a cat who can remove a breakaway collar, they are likely to hurt themselves just trying to take it off again. Have you tried the Beastie Bands? Super stretchy foam type material (neoprene maybe?). That one worked with my boy for nearly a year before he started taking that one off all the time too.

Right now, my boy is naked. I don't like it but his chip is up to date and he is unique enough looking he wouldn't be hard to find in a shelter if he gets picked up. I try every few weeks but he just won't keep them on. I swear he thinks they are a toy, especially since he normally brings the removed collars back to me. Too smart for his own good that child.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Leroy wears a non-safety collar. It's what works for him. He can get out of any safety collar just by scratching at the adjustable part until it loosens enough for him to get his jaw under and then he chews at the buckle until it pops open. Velcro collars would be easily ripped off. If he gets out the door, and he has once before, all he can do is run up and down the hallway until I catch him.

Rhall

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I also had this problem. Ellie constantly fought with it and we would find her with it in her mouth a lot of times. It was breakaway but she wasn't strong enough. I wanted her to wear it because I had a tag on it for her with info in case she escaped. I may try again now that she is a bit bigger, but I did get her chipped when she was spayed last week, so I have a little sanity if she were to escape. I have not tried one on my little guy yet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LuvDeezKittez

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
but I did get her chipped when she was spayed last week, so I have a little sanity if she were to escape.
Good point, I forgot to mention that he IS microchipped. That being said, my goal is to stop him BEFORE the point he arrives at a shelter, by providing the person who finds him with my phone number. And I'd like the person to know at glance he's not feral-- but they'll probably pickup on that fact because he's got no street smarts and is derpy. :sheep:

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can try pop beads. I got a bag of them to make a collar for Sweet Gum. It worked for awhile, then she got really fast at breaking free.

Put this in the Amazon and look at them they are small and a white collar looked good on a black cat. For some reason the manufacture seems to think ladies wore them in the 1950s. Okay. They got a good bit of wear from the under 10 crowd. Which is why I know that they can be swallowed fairly safely, though it's not something I'd encourage.

12mm White Color JOLLY STORE Crafts Pop Beads 1gross/144pc made in USA

LuvDeezKittez

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You can try pop beads.
Oh, I remember those! Here's what I imagine Gnocchi will look like wearing the pop bead collar.... you know, if he was a girl, with no hair, and a sphinx, but you get the idea....:lol:
catpearls.jpg

HPeters

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I kind of get the feeling that tattoos are not a thing in the States. Is it an option? It would allow anyone that picked up an escapee to know that they've at least been to a vet and likely have an owner

LuvDeezKittez

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I kind of get the feeling that tattoos are not a thing in the States. Is it an option? It would allow anyone that picked up an escapee to know that they've at least been to a vet and likely have an owner
I'm not sure about the tattoo thing.. yeah I guess we don't have that here. Microchipping is big here though. And my little escape artist DOES thankfully have one of those.
cattattoo.jpg

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tattoos were a thing in the 90s, pre- microchiping for dogs. At first they tattooed the ear, then realized that thieves merely cut the ear off and carried on, they started tattoo in the inside of a back leg. Which worked okay with short haired dogs, but not long haired ones. Humane Societies tended not to look for tattoos. Later, after people began microchipping, it took the societies about two decades to start scanning for chips. Some still don't, because they 'can't afford' the scanner, or don't have the time to scan every animal that comes in. A lot of chipped pets have been euthanized. If you lose your pet you have to go - in person - to the shelter, don't trust the person you talk to to actually go see if a cat like yours has come in.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I never worried about breakaway collars. As long as they are fitted snugly and properly, with only a finger or 2 through it but loose like so many people leave them, there shouldn't be an issue. The simple buckle collar is the way to go. The problem is that people leave them way too loose on their cats and that is when they get caught in the mouth or get an arm through. That is terrible.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some rescues still do it. My cat came from a rescue that still does ear tats.