My Cat Is Missing :'(

meaganandalbert

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello,
My cat Sebastian disappeared on Friday the 11th of May on a windy afternoon. He's indoor/outdoor and seems to have just vanished. We live on a ten acre rural property on the side of a mountain. He's been gone overnight before but never for extended periods of time. He acted completely normal that morning, we let him out at 1pm and then nothing. We've done flyers, phone alerts, door knocking, bush walking every day and night. We have had our other kitty try to smell him out but NOTHING. We've scanned all ten acres and beyond, no meows or other responses and no smell of death. Sebastian has always been a very wild kitty, he loves me and his dad and his adopted kitty brother but he Hates other people and dogs. He also loves kittens and lady cats (he will hump despite being neutered) We thought maybe an eagle got him but the winds were too strong and it was too late in the day, there are no other predators here in Tasmania, Australia which could take a cat besides snakes (it's winter now) and we would have found the body. We are distraught and horrified about what could have happened. If anyone has any information or ideas about where he could be or what could have happened, please share because I'm out of ideas and plans for locating him.

Attachments

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
meaganandalbert meaganandalbert , I'm so sorry to hear about Sebastian's disappearance.

Hope that he's still around. One thing you can try is leave some of his litter from his litter box and leave them outside and around your house and use some to create a trail back to your house when you go out looking for him. Hopefully he'll pick up the scent.

Sending you guys :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

meaganandalbert

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
meaganandalbert meaganandalbert , I'm so sorry to hear about Sebastian's disappearance.

Hope that he's still around. One thing you can try is leave some of his litter from his litter box and leave them outside and around your house and use some to create a trail back to your house when you go out looking for him. Hopefully he'll pick up the scent.

Sending you guys :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:
Thank you, I left a trail of litter from the house which had a sighting of an unknown cat (we don't know if it was him or not) but I will go up the mountain and leave one coming down tomorrow. I've never felt so defeated and depressed in my life, Sebastian was everything to my husband and I :'(

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know the worrying and the not knowing is the worst. As long as you don't find him, and don't see signs of a struggle or blood, there is hope. He may have been chased too far away so keep putting out posters and go further from home. Make sure too to check all sheds and anywhere he could have been trapped. Sometimes if they get injured they hide for a few weeks. Keep calling, I have had them disappear for two weeks and show back up!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Don't lose hope! Actually, we've had cats here who were gone for months and turned back up, not so much the worse for wear!

Just an odd-ball thought...try going out around dawn and dusk with an opened can of warmed tuna (cats are most actively hunting then). It's a rare cat who will ignore that smell!

meaganandalbert

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I staked out about 2km at 4 am going through bush, paddock and neighbours properties. I found their cats but no sign of mine. He's not responding which I know is not all that uncommon when they're fearful or out of their territory but when I leave, I always leave a scent trail back home. I can't imagine him going so far but other owners have said the same think only to find their cats far away. I'll be door knocking the next street over on the mountain today.

meaganandalbert

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've checked all houses marked in red as well as the large open field and bush surrounding our house. I can't smell anything dead and the only place where his brother began howling was at the house at the end of the field (northern end) his brother picked up a scent and began howling but there was no response, we waited an hour but there were no noises, this was on the 3rd day of his disappearance. When Edwin finds a scent he won't usually meow but this time he did. The owner of the house said they saw a cat the day Sebastian disappeared eating their cats food but it seems if it was him that he's moved on because after I got permission I went with Edwin down there and sat in their yard from 4-6am and got nothing but their cat.

meaganandalbert

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I got a message today from a lady who was 90 percent sure she'd seen Sebastian. A cat with no tail eating road kill, unfortunately it is 20+ kilometres away, is it even possible that he's travelled that far. He's not a runner, he's very careful with his territory and doesn't approach situations as a scared cat.

Geralizze M.

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry for the disappearance of your cat :(. I’ve had cats disappear only to return weeks or months later.

I am pretty sure they were caught up chasing and exploring and then realized how far they have strayed away. It is possible that Sebastian could have gone further that you imagine.

There is hope though! Hopefully the cat who the woman saw is him! Please keep us posted.

meaganandalbert

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The woman was driving at the time and couldn't get a picture but we've been going there everyday since looking out and haven't seen anything :(. We handed out flyers to the local farms there and also put them in the main town and bought a phone/sms/email alert for that town and the next two onwards in case he's continuing north east. I don't see how he would get so far (of course it's the only lead I have and I will continue going there) because he Hates cars and foreign people objects. The only thing I can imagine now is that he's followed a girl (or boy) or was chased by one and now is in unfamiliar territory, however he's not responding to my calls or food treats or litter trails. He is a very thorough territory marker and would spend hours carefully going over his surrounds. He used to scream relentlessly and climb the screen to go out but we only saw two unknown cats on the property and that was just when we moved in and before Sebastian and Edwin arrived from Vietnam. I saw Edwin outside that day and he didn't seem freaked out or like he'd been in a fight :(

meaganandalbert

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Today I took Edwin and Albert for a walk as I do everyday and I noticed by the boundary line that Edwin was smelling and spraying certain spots. Does this mean another cat has sprayed their or is it normal for a neutered male to smell and mark specific spots and open mouth breathe?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Although it isn't rare, considering that he is flehmening (that open-mouthed breathing) I'm hopeful that he is smelling a familiar scent!

meaganandalbert

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I sure hope so but it's doubtful considering if he was there he could have easily come back. I had another chat with the neighbours. One said she's had 3 go missing completely. One came back with a missing eye and another with a fractured leg, they live 250 meters down the mountain but none of hers are desexed or chipped. I saw her tom's, they don't seem to go far and are generally pretty friendly. All fed outside. She did mention that there are definitely ferrals in the area and that the neighbourhood is somewhat a dumping ground for unwanted animals. I found Tasmanian devil scat today and pulled it apart to find pademelon hair and claws but no cat remnants. (they are scavengers not hunters but will scare away eagles/dogs/snakes to feast on remains) I also did another walk over of our ten acres today and no smells of decomposition or anything. I got a text from 2km away that cats had been fighting for the last week in a neighbouring bush block so I will be going there at 4am this morning.