My cat is missing!

autiwara

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It's been 5 months since my cat Muffin vanished and I haven't seen him since. We were going to our cabin for the weekend (two days) this time without our cat because he loves it so much up there that one time he lived ferally for weeks because he would disappear every time we would try retrieving him. (our cabin is isolated on a small island joined only by a bridge on each side, it's like a cat playground)  But we forgot to put out food for him. Apparently this was bad enough for him and I never saw him again after that. 

He is quite the outdoor cat I'd say, he spends more time outdoors than indoors and he's an excellent hunter. He's also neutered so he won't go picking fights or finding females.

He's very careful around roads, always looks to see if there's cares before crossing, and if there is he'll jump back into the bushes instead of speeding across the street, so I'm pretty confident he hasn't been hit by a car. I live in a suburban area (Norway) so if he was dead, someone would've found him and checked his chip. 

It's so strange for him to do this because he ALWAYS stays around our home area, every time I'd walk the dogs he'd jump out of the small forest lining the sidewalk and he'd join us for the walk (he's best friends with my two dogs)

One time I was walking over to a friend's house which is about 3 or 4 blocks away from mine and my cat was following me, the next few days he wouldn't come home for food or anything, he went missing. Then my friend reported to me that her mom had spotted him around their house, apparently he hadn't seen me exit their house and was waiting for me to do so all that time! He's seriously the sweetest, calmest, most patient and tolerable cat I've ever had and I miss him very very much. I put up some laminated posters around my neighbourhood  but without any luck so far.

KatKnapper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It is a long shot but you could try and take advantage of his natural senses and instincts.  This lady's cat got out for a week or so.  She placed his litterbox outside and soon after he returned.  They have a keen sense of smell, especially for that which is familiar to them.  You could try placing things outside, covered of course to protect from the elements, that have your and their scent on them.  I would even go so far as placing a "trail camera" say on a tree that faces this area, so you will know if they visit while you are away or in low light conditions.  If you know a good "diehard" hunter they may have one of these lying around.

AVANS687

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Have you found your cat yet? I hope you have. My cat has been away for 2 weeks and I have been searching all over. I'm wondering what is a normal amount of time for a male un-neutered cat to be away from home for? I put items with his scent outside like the person above suggested. Your cat sounds like he's very attached to you. It's very worrisome when they don't return. I know the feeling.